2015-16 Summer of Cricket/Shrine to Usman

Who will win Aus v NZ

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

There was a 2-3 year period where he averaged almost 50. Kallis aside no one averaged more with the bat as a genuine all rounder in the last 20 years as Watson did. Injuries destroyed him. Problem was as has been said, in his last few years he was a part time bowler and his batting and bowling suffered as did his body at the end of his career. Career should've been over 2-3 years earlier than it was but let's not deny that he is one of the best all rounders we've ever had (let's face it though there hasn't been many genuine ones since WWII).

FWIW he averaged 65 in 2009 and 42 in 2010. After that he got injured and was replaced at the top of the order by Cowan who was ok without being good. He barely opened again.

But yes talent wise he's in the top 6-7 players we've had in the last ten years. Based off output he's not even close to that.
The only batsman to average less after paying so many games for Australia is Graeme Wood, who:
a) played purely as an opener
b) was Graeme Wood FFS!

The only batsman to average less after paying so many games for Australia is Graeme Wood, who:
a) played purely as an opener
b) was Graeme Wood FFS!
Watson is an all rounder. He averages more with the bat than Razzaq, Flintoff, Afridi, Bravo etc. If you actually compare apples with apples he's not actually all that bad. Flintoff is the only one with (marginally) better bowling stats as well.

If you want to argue he wasn't an all rounder from 2012 onwards then I can understand your opinion but he was actually a pretty good cricketer prior to this when these s**t averages you speak of were closer to 40 with the bat and high 20s with the ball. Good luck getting that from Mitch Marsh.

Watson is an all rounder. He averages more with the bat than Razzaq, Flintoff, Afridi, Bravo etc. If you actually compare apples with apples he's not actually all that bad. Flintoff is the only one with (marginally) better bowling stats as well.

If you want to argue he wasn't an all rounder from 2012 onwards then I can understand your opinion but he was actually a pretty good cricketer prior to this when these s**t averages you speak of were closer to 40 with the bat and high 20s with the ball. Good luck getting that from Mitch Marsh.
Especially when Mitch gets sent out to throw the bat around to put on quick runs before a declaration.

OK Mrs Watson.

Especially when Mitch gets sent out to throw the bat around to put on quick runs before a declaration.
That really doesn't help. Probably won't get a chance to do much more than that this summer unfortunately. This whole summer could be a whole waste of time for our test side. We saw Burns and Khawaja score runs for fun last test but I think we all look at it and say we still don't know if they're any good because New Zealand were so woeful. I may also have a bit against the Marshs mainly due to Shaun being the one of the most overrated players I've ever seen.

That really doesn't help. Probably won't get a chance to do much more than that this summer unfortunately. This whole summer could be a whole waste of time for our test side. We saw Burns and Khawaja score runs for fun last test but I think we all look at it and say we still don't know if they're any good because New Zealand were so woeful. I may also have a bit against the Marshs mainly due to Shaun being the one of the most overrated players I've ever seen.
I agree, the West Indies looked very average the last time I saw them play, it might lure us into a false sense of adequacy.

I'm actually probably almost biased if anything towards Watson but he was very ordinary as a Test cricketer.
Most all rounders are but if you don't play one you're a bowler short. Kallis and Flintoff are the only two you'd be jumping at from the last 20 years, all others you'd be picking for the sake of an all rounder (which isn't a bad thing btw).

FWIW if we had a guy like Steve Waugh or Andrew Symonds (maybe not a test cricketer but would still make our current side as a batsman) I wouldn't bother picking an all rounder but we don't.

No Gayle, Sammy, Bravo or Pollard.

This will be a fustigation
Tbh most of these guys would be overlooked on merit. Look at their stats in test cricket. Gayle aside they're quite average. Pollard has never played a test.

It is the West Indies though...

Last edited:
Tbh most of these guys would be overlooked on merit. Look at their stats in cricket. Gayle aside they're quite average. Pollard has never played a test.

It is the West Indies though...
They will lie awake at night dreaming of scenarios where all they getting is absolutely thrashed as opposed to whats coming.

It's been a bit of a shock but NZ look like rubbish (apart from Williamson) they have played some great cricket over the past year or so but look very average so far on this tour.

Aussies are not being tested so it's hard to know how well the new players would fare against a better side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So we need another review on people's dismissal of Watson.

All the talk on the radio of not losing a review if the ball was going to hit the stumps but just not enough to change the decison is making me frustrated.

Blowing chances on borderline LBWs is the captain's fault.
Yep. The reviews are there for genuinely terrible decisions. If they got the review back, every LBW shout would get a review.

All the talk on the radio of not losing a review if the ball was going to hit the stumps but just not enough to change the decison is making me frustrated.

Blowing chances on borderline LBWs is the captain's fault.
Or maybe not on one where the inside edge was so obvious hot spot/snicko was barely required. (Required to confirm what everyone already could see only)

Last edited:
Just had contact from our young bloke in Houston, 50,000 odd at a demonstration game between Tendulkar's side and warne's team. Lots of aussies in the crowd plus lots of Indians but virtually no American spectators. Still a pretty good crowd for a city with lots of expats.

Back