Prediction Changes: Round 16 Vs Bulldogs + pre-match discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Well Griffin Logue would be handy right now wouldn't he?

If Alex Pearce is out, that leaves us with very few options. Brennan Cox has to play full back.

Hamling to play? He is 195 cm.

Could we get away with Luke Ryan or Ethan Hughes at CHB? Both are 188 cm each.

I wish we had Tobe Watson or Taylin Duman or Sam Collins still on the list.

Don't know if Sam Sturt or Josh Tracy would be suitable as tall defenders
Heath Chapman, Luke Ryan and even Ethan Hughes are all reasonable options to hold up a key defensive post in a pinch, although they give up a lot of height to the tall 200cm forwards (or the taller Lobb) so you'd be relying on midfield pressure and team defence to keep it to a reasonable level.

It's very early for Draper but he seems to have been talked up pretty well, will be interesting to see if he gets a call up if Pearce or Cox do go down.
Treacy absolutely could go back in my opinion, although more likely as an in-game contingency plan at this point.

Heath Chapman, Luke Ryan and even Ethan Hughes are all reasonable options to hold up a key defensive post in a pinch, although they give up a lot of height to the tall 200cm forwards (or the taller Lobb) so you'd be relying on midfield pressure and team defence to keep it to a reasonable level.

It's very early for Draper but he seems to have been talked up pretty well, will be interesting to see if he gets a call up if Pearce or Cox do go down.
Treacy absolutely could go back in my opinion, although more likely as an in-game contingency plan at this point.
If Chapman was fully fit, I would bring him in.

Hell I would even consider Luke Jackson too. Let him mark the ball in the back 50. He is gonna ruck 50 percent of the game anyway

If Alex Pearce is out, that leaves us with very few options. Brennan Cox has to play full back.

Luke Ryan is a perfectly fine Full back.
Keep Cox at CHB.
If you had Chapman fit, then you could bring him and be ok. I think our depth is being tested, if we have two injuries to either tall, or medium tall players. Hamling is probably playing the best in WAFL.

Having said that, Pearce will be fine.

i'm pretty sure the coaches would have been rapt with Erasmus' game. He spent a lot of time on mason Redman and shut him out of the game after the first quarter. Redman is a quality afl player who averages around 23 possessions a game. He's also super quick and Erasmus showed that he's definitely quicker than most here seem to think. Erasmus also spent a bit of time manning Merret which would have been a good leaning experience for Ras. Watching the replay in the second half when Fyfe started in the centre square on a number of occasions after the bounce he went forward and Erasmus took Merret in open play.

I think Aish is important too but I wouldn't be surprised if they gave him a game at WAFL level to ge his touch back or made him sub for one game.

If it was up to me I would pick Ras and have Aish as the sub

We're low on tall defensive stock that's for sure. I was never comfortable with us delisting both Watson and Duman considering they both held their own when Pearce and Hamling were forever injured.

Are they both playing back at State level? Either that or keep drafting more in, but it'll be all back-end talent.

Pearce would be a big loss, he always does a good job on Naughton and because they’ve got some tall timber our matchups would get thrown out of whack if he were to miss.

I’m also nervous about potentially in Hamling
Hamling would do just fine..he’s a gun that can’t get a gig right now. Took 10 marks against WPerth.

Hamling would do just fine..he’s a gun that can’t get a gig right now. Took 10 marks against WPerth.
I'd be hesitant to call him a gun but yeah, I doubt there's many clubs with a back-up as good as Hamling sitting in the reserves all year. He'd be as good as any depth out there IMO

Western Bulldogs still have so much talent on their list - are they overrated or is it an indictment on the coach they're not Top 4 every year?

Rolling them this weekend would be incredible

I think they are performing about where they should. List is not particularly balanced with their talent concentrated in a few positions.

Looking at their last team, they have a core of 8-10 good players, and half the side are average players such as Keath, Williams, Hannan, Baker, West, McNeil, Scott, Lobb, Vandermeer, Duryea, O'Brien. Fairly similar to most teams fighting it out for the middle spots on the ladder.

Weightman is going to be a massive challenge for Walker. Could be the game right there in that matchup.

We're low on tall defensive stock that's for sure. I was never comfortable with us delisting both Watson and Duman considering they both held their own when Pearce and Hamling were forever injured.

Are they both playing back at State level? Either that or keep drafting more in, but it'll be all back-end talent.
Tobe Watson is playing in the WAFL with Swan districts.

Taylin Duman played for Frankston in the VFL in 2022, now is playing in the amateurs

Luke Ryan on balancing defence and offence, Fremantle’s finals hopes, crunch clash with Western Bulldogs​

Luke Ryan‘s ability to balance defence and attack makes him one of the Dockers’ most important weapons. The backman chats to ELIZA REILLY about his mindset and the club’s bid for a finals berth.

3 min read
June 27, 2023 - 8:00AM
Luke Ryan’s mix of defence and attack will be a key as the Dockers fight to make the finals. PIcture: Paul Kane/Getty Images

Luke Ryan’s mix of defence and attack will be a key as the Dockers fight to make the finals. PIcture: Paul Kane/Getty Images

It’s not too late to invest in Luke Ryan.
If the Docker was a stock, he’d be simultaneously one of the safest yet riskiest bets on the market.

The 27-year-old has already mastered the art of defence. Against Geelong earlier this season, Ryan kept then-Coleman medal leader Jeremy Cameron goalless. He’s also had battles with fellow matchwinners Dustin Martin and Toby Greene.
But on the counter is where Ryan inflicts the most damage. Flicking between defence and attack as seamlessly as a switch, the All-Australian was one of Fremantle’s best in a 32-point win over Essendon.
A career-high 18 marks were the highlight, five of which were intercept clunks. But in one of his most prolific games this season, Ryan also had 31 disposals (27 of which were effective), seven intercept possessions, 663 metres gained and six rebound 50s.
In general play, Ryan torched the Bombers on the switch kick as the Dockers returned to a mix of dare and decisive ball movement. It is performances like his against Essendon that rank Ryan among the best general defenders in the competition.
The Docker is categorised elite by Champion Data for metres gained (543.7 average), rebound 50s (7.1) and one-on-ones (1.6), while he is above average for disposals (23.7), intercept possessions (6.4) and intercept marks (1.9).

So how does a career defender balance his role as an attacker?
“We want to take what the opposition gives us. If that’s a switch or a march up or even a 45 kick, it’s up to us to take what they give us and take the game on,” Ryan told CODE Sports.
“We don’t want to be too safe and at the right times, we have to pick what to do.
“[Saturday night] was probably our best ball movement game for a long time. We got some good scoring opportunities out of it.
“You’ve just gotta have that game sense. If you’re really deep in defensive 50, you don’t want to take it on too much; you‘d rather try and get it out of the D50. Once we get to that point, we want to try and energise the ball and put them under some serious heat, break their bubble and get it to our speedy forwards.
“Credit to the boys further up the field, the pressure was elite. It made our job a lot easier. Their run and defensive efforts (and their ability) to lock in the ball and put them under heat, that’s how we want to play.”
The win puts Fremantle back in finals contention with a race to the top eight set to unfold across the remaining nine rounds. The Dockers currently sit 11th with seven wins – just one behind the Western Bulldogs, who they face this Saturday at Marvel Stadium.

Ryan conceded it was set to be a nerve-racking wait to see if Fremantle can back up its 2022 finals breakthrough, but noted destiny was in the Dockers‘ hands.
“I know it’s pretty tight from 15th to about fifth so every game is massive. You want to win every game,” Ryan said.

“If we can play our best footy, we’re going to be running with the best teams all year. We’re looking forward to seeing how we can go from here.”
Getting one back on the Bulldogs will be crucial after Fremantle were smashed by 49 points during the sides’ previous meeting, in round six. That game was characterised by the Dockers’ obsession with roughing up former teammate Rory Lobb. But Ryan says Fremantle’s performance against Essendon is the new blueprint for success.
“We just have to play the same way we did … nothing has to change. It’s going to take another four quarters,” he said. “We’re a different team from when we last played them. It’s a six versus six backline so whatever they’ve got down there, we’ll do it together. We’ll take on that challenge head-on.”

Last edited:
I think they are performing about where they should. List is not particularly balanced with their talent concentrated in a few positions.

Looking at their last team, they have a core of 8-10 good players, and half the side are average players such as Keath, Williams, Hannan, Baker, West, McNeil, Scott, Lobb, Vandermeer, Duryea, O'Brien. Fairly similar to most teams fighting it out for the middle spots on the ladder.

Weightman is going to be a massive challenge for Walker. Could be the game right there in that matchup.
Dogs have the same issue as Adelaide, most of their top talent is centre and forward of centre.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wonder how many wafl games Chappy will need to bring his fitness up?
I'm actually so keen to watch Chappy play WAFL - hopefully on the wing. Double points if Ras and/or Brodie are playing to feed it out to him

Remove this Banner Ad

Back