Prediction Changes: Round 11 Vs Melbourne Demons + pre-match discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Walters out means no bombing it in on his head when he has one or two taller defenders on him.

I feel like we can cover for him easily abut he is a classy player at times, and brings a lot of experience.

We‘ve played a midfielder short and an extra forward the last three games.

It seemed to be okay when Fyfe was sub but last week Banfield started several centre bounces on the wing (it was at least five). Frederick is probably more of a natural winger than Banfield but he’s also a best 22 forward - he started there 2-3 times as well. Fyfe obviously went forward at times whilst Erasmus didn’t so that thrown things out just a touch imo.

An extra mid better balances the team and we’ve got two very talented second year mids that’ll be a big part of our future.

Johnson has earned his chance in the best 22. Was building very nicely before the suspension and did very well as the sub last week. We almost wouldn’t be rewarding performance if we overlooked him. Having said that Erasmus didn’t deserve to go out either.
I do understand that we have been playing a mid short but I probably would have stuck with it, removed banners from the rotations, kept Freddy there a bit longer (should be his natural progression imo) and then removed aish from the centre bounce rotation, instead injecting switta in there, this keeps aish on the wing longer, allows Banfields rotations to be replaced by Freddy and aish

Overall I'm not upset with Johnson in though, I just think that naturally Sturt will be Walters replacement in the future (not a Treacy/taberner replacement that he has been pigeonholed a bit in playing)

Personally would have the raz demon sub. Another (part) game into him, can swap with a mid or forward, and great forward pressure or tackling in the stoppage. Super speed and tackling in the 4th to lift the team.
Didn't fly over so it's likely for Sturt to be sub

Unless we debut worner

I do understand that we have been playing a mid short but I probably would have stuck with it, removed banners from the rotations, kept Freddy there a bit longer (should be his natural progression imo) and then removed aish from the centre bounce rotation, instead injecting switta in there, this keeps aish on the wing longer, allows Banfields rotations to be replaced by Freddy and aish

Overall I'm not upset with Johnson in though, I just think that naturally Sturt will be Walters replacement in the future (not a Treacy/taberner replacement that he has been pigeonholed a bit in playing)

It´s a pretty different position, Sturt more of a lead-out 3rd tall rather than a ground level, crumbing, agile forward. We´d also lose Walters´ ability to come into the corridor and playmake. I wouldn´t mind seeing it trialled in a game against west coast or hawthorn.

Yet we have our no.1 whipping boy who’s apparently a spud role player kicks more goals than the player that apparently is a natural forward and kicks goals.

If you were sitting in the stands last week you would’ve seen Banfield and Frederick start some centre bounces on the wing. That tells me our team is a midfielder short. Johnson was very good when he came in last week. It was the only realistic option.

Johnson and Erasmus are the future, whilst Sturt has so far been nothing but false hope. Erasmus should be on the plane instead of Sturt imo.
The whipping boy has kicked more goals because he's been given more of an opportunity and been able to find more consistency. This is not a Banfield vs Sturt shitfight though.

False hope? Did you not see him almost turn the tide back our way against the Bulldogs? Maybe watch closer

I don’t think this board appreciates just how good Schultz, Frederick and Switta actually are tbh.

Whilst they’re not in the AFL’s elite there’s many teams that’d dream of having those three and Walters all in their team each week.

If we lose on Saturday these guys won’t be the reason - as group they’ve performed every game this year even if one of them has had a bad game.
Yep,
If you include Walters, all four of our smalls have unique weapons. Peak Walters is the best but right now they all offer up 4 different areas to hurt opposition and are pretty even. Walters missing sucks but I think we can cover him with the extra mid so we need less forwards pinch hitting. It might even swing the mid battle more in our flavor so there is more supply. The key is not bombing to their interceptors and making sure we get quality entries like we've been doing for most of the last three weeks.

I don’t think this board appreciates just how good Schultz, Frederick and Switta actually are tbh.

Whilst they’re not in the AFL’s elite there’s many teams that’d dream of having those three and Walters all in their team each week.

If we lose on Saturday these guys won’t be the reason - as group they’ve performed every game this year even if one of them has had a bad game.
Completely agree. I watched the 3rd Q again today and Shultz's little one touch gather and handball from Fyfe's gentle soccer, Switta's multiple involvements in scoring chains and Frederick's dead eye finish from 50 all were massive in that 3rd. (unfortunately as were Walters 2 goals)

Almost no one I can think of has surprised me with his continued improvement as much as Shultz. I thought he was a hack with a very limited ceiling.
Freddy I've always been bullish on and think his best is miles in the future.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Completely agree. I watched the 3rd Q again today and Shultz's little one touch gather and handball from Fyfe's gentle soccer, Switta's multiple involvements in scoring chains and Frederick's dead eye finish from 50 all were massive in that 3rd. (unfortunately as were Walters 2 goals)

Almost no one I can think of has surprised me with his continued improvement as much as Shultz. I thought he was a hack with a very limited ceiling.
Schultz had a good interview on the backchat podcast with will Schofield, where he covers this. How he elevated his game

Found it, but not sure it's in this snippet where he said change of coach

Last edited:
I like this pivot. Melbourne are a big-bodied, mature team who could overrun us in the mid, at which point it doesn't matter who are forwards are.

With Oliver missing, this allows us to try and flip the table on this and try and control the contest. With Johnson in we'll always have a big body or two in there, JOM and Fyfe can drift forward too so we're still pretty flexible strategically.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

The whipping boy has kicked more goals because he's been given more of an opportunity and been able to find more consistency. This is not a Banfield vs Sturt shitfight though.

False hope? Did you not see him almost turn the tide back our way against the Bulldogs? Maybe watch closer

The only time he’d kicked multiple AFL goals in a game in over three years.

Against the bulldogs I saw him score two goals from uncontested marks in the third quarter. He barely touched it for the rest of the game.

Seriously when he’s played this year he’s done one or two good things a game that remind you he’s got talent but then goes missing the rest of the game. He can’t do that when he’s averaging less than a goal a game.

Banfield gets more opportunities because he offers more to the team - simple as that.

Last edited:

I'm with you, I thought Bewley was going to be the solid pick and Schultz would struggle to stay on the list.
I didn't think he was a hack, I just thought being on the smaller size without a lot of speed would be quite limiting at AFL level.

Got that one wrong!

Shouldn't be that surprising though given his best year was when he won an AA playing as an undersized KPD in 2020. He has a fat arse that makes him really difficult to dislodge under the high ball.
Yeah, I know. There are certain big blokes I reckon Ryan is good to handle. But Cameron is just a freak! I would have been nervous about anyone on him due to his agility.

I’ve made it no secret on here how much I rate Johnson and Erasmus to a lesser extent. When there’s a genuine chance to bring them into the team you just do it IMO. They can be future A Graders if we develop them right.

Whilst I haven’t completely given up on Sturt he’s 100% behind the eight forwards that played last week until he proves otherwise. I’d play any combination of seven from those eight before Sturt comes in. He does one or two good things a game but doesn’t do enough for me.

I also think Frederick should stay forward until he retires tbh. Developing very nicely there.

Last edited:
I also think Frederick should stay forward until he retires tbh. Developing very nicely there.
I think we want him to be the third string winger, just getting through the replay now, he spent half the 2nd quarter on the wing

Banfield didn't return to the wing in the second after having 2 or 3 attendances in the first

I like developing Freddy as a winger, as soon as he left the rotation back to the HFF he pushed up and took a good mark on the flank, adds more of a mismatch when he does the rollover, also encourages him to roam up the ground a bit more

Seriously when he’s played this year he’s done one or two good things a game that remind you he’s got talent but then goes missing the rest of the game. He can’t do that when he’s averaging less than a goal a game.

Yeah that's the thing. I still have some hope for Sturt, but when he goes missing he really goes missing.

When Treacy has a 4 possession game he's still so involved in the play - crashing in, contesting, bringing the ball to ground to keep the play alive - I still see him affecting the game in ways that don't get him stats.

When Sturt has a 4 possession game I literally forget he's playing until he bobs up for a touch.

Banfield returned to the wing in the 3rd quarter for 2 attendances, one ended up with the HTB tackle on the wing after the handball from Amiss

Think its a good move to keep him off the wing, Johnson in makes a bit of sense when rewatching and focusing on the wingers

Banfield should stay forward

EDIT: No more wing attendances for Banfield in the 4th, Johnson actually only had 1, the rest he was in the CB

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back