Carlton (+13.5)
Adelaide (-11.5)
Hawthorn (-17.5)
Melbourne (+30.5)
North Melbourne (-23.5)

1u @ 12.41

---

Carlton 1-39 - 2u @ 3.30

So backed Hawthorn for the flag as part of the Sportsbet free bet promo and have since layed off the stake on Betfair after their Round 1 win. Should give me a fairly regular free shot on this mickey mouse sport for the rest of the year.

Round 2
Free Bet - Sydney/Freo H2H @ 4.58 (sports)

Why is Gold Coast so short (1.18) against st kilda? I watched St Kilda last week and they played better football than Gold Coast did against Melboune

I'm starting to think the points total for the West Coast game is drifting down too low. Down to 166.5 on some sites. Weather report now says there is only a 50% chance of showers by game time and that during the match there is no rain forecasted.
If it gets to about 160, i'd be all over the overs. And yes, i'm aware i've been advocating the unders.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bulldogs looked ok against West Coast though they are from world beaters. The bulldogs injury/trade depleted midfield missing Libba and Griffin was allowed to look good against the likes of a West Coast midfield however I don't think they will be afforded the same against a Richmond midfield containing the likes of Deledio, Cotchin and Martin with depth players like Hunt, Miles, Vlastuin, McIntosh, Ellis and Morris. I expect after Bontempellis performance last weekend the Tigers to have at someone at least playing a little tighter on him.

I think the Tigers' backline is underrated as well with players who can play tall, Rance, Chaplin , Batchelor and Grimes and also players who can contain the Bulldogs' small forwards in Houli, Morris, Vlastuin and Ellis. The Bulldogs will struggle to contain both Riewoldt and Griffiths and I'm expecting Riewoldt to have a bit of a field day and the Bulldogs to be brought back to earth somewhat. I dont expect a blow out however with a margin somewhere around the 25 to 35 point mark.

Carlton beats West Coast as well

The last Carlton v West Coast game at Subiaco saw WCs midfield dominate with 90 possessions between Selwood, Priddis and Masten with Dean Cox delivering silver service against Warnock and Hampson who were both ineffectual around the ground. If Carlton can nullify the ability of Naitanui to allow West Coasts mids easy clearances as what happened with Cox last time they played at Subiaco then it will go a long way to them winning the game.

This game will be won in the midfield with both teams' back and forward lines looking shaky.

Carltons starting midfield led by Judd, Murphy, Gibbs, Simpson and Carrazzo is quicker and more dynamic than West Coasts and contains more depth with players like Bell, Docherty, Yarran, Menzel, Cripps and Curnow able to play in the midfield. Priddis, Shuey, Gaff, Masten, Scott Selwood with back up in the form of Sheed, Wellingham, Cripps and McGinnity is a very workman like midfield that wont be able to take as much advantage of the wide open spaces that Carlton will. Carltons mids on occasion can get that quick take away clearance from Judd, Muprhy and Gibbs which can really expose West Coasts one paced midfield. If Carlton can nullify the ability of Naitanui to allow West Coasts mids easy clearances as what happened with Cox last time they played at Subiaco then it will go a long way to them winning the game.

Another area where Carlton can really expose the Eagles is their pace off halfback. Yarran, Docherty, Tuohy, Everitt, Menzel and at times Simpson and Muphy will be far too quick for the likes of McGinnity, Butler, Nelson, Rosa and Hurn

It's a shame West Coast is lacking in the KPD department because I could see McGovern really exposing Carltons backs with Jacksh out injured. However with both Brown and McKenzie injured and Schoefield looking underdone in his first game back in the WAFL, McGovern will be required down back. West Coast having only the one real key forward in Kennedy with Darling out, allows Carlton to play Jones, Henderson AND possibly Casboult up forward the whole game which, if Schoefield doesn't get up, will require Hurn or Yeo to man one or both of them up, exposing West Coasts lack of height down back and also cutting off one of their main rebounding defenders.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back