2015 Delistings

Remove this Banner Ad

Retire: Podsiadly, Reilly
Delist: Martin, Siggins, Osborne (rookie)
Upgrades: O'Brien, Kelly
Rookies(keep): Ramsey, Wilson

I think the above is a bare minimum, the rest depends a bit on what happens in trade week.

No point cutting too deep, especially when it comes to the rookies given the supposed lack of depth in this draft.

Totally agree, we'll only draft like 2 players at most. Unless we trade in a heap, the retiring of Pods and Reilly leave those two spots straight off the bat. Martin is a bloody good and cheap hole filler. He's the perfect guy to bring in for a few weeks when someone's injured. ATM we are looking great health wise as stated by Campo today. If we start getting a few guys out we need Martin and Wright there as solid guys.

I disagree, midfield depth, especially mature depth is overrated IMO. I would much rather see us use these weeks you speak of to blood younger players with greater scope for improvement than waste them on players who are never going to be best 22.

For the most part, midfielders are ready to go or close to it as soon as they are drafted and benefit significantly from the opportunity. Plus, our midfield depth is already significant enough that we don't need to continue to gift games to a player that's now been on our list for 8 years, time to move on and give someone else a shot.

Depth, especially mature aged depth IMO is far more important when it comes to KPPs and Rucks, in these positions young kids do tend to take time to develop both their game and their body, so you are often better off having a couple of older guys hanging around.

I've got more chance of being rookie listed than McGovern getting the chop and I haven't played a competitive game in 10 years.

Siggins, Osborne, Reilly, pods and Martin all gone. Kelly and Rob upgraded with 3 live picks in the draft.
Where does the 3rd come from?

Retire: Podsiadly, Reilly
Delist: Martin, Siggins, Osborne (rookie)
Upgrades: O'Brien, Kelly
Rookies(keep): Ramsey, Wilson

I think the above is a bare minimum, the rest depends a bit on what happens in trade week.

No point cutting too deep, especially when it comes to the rookies given the supposed lack of depth in this draft.

I disagree, midfield depth, especially mature depth is overrated IMO. I would much rather see us use these weeks you speak of to blood younger players with greater scope for improvement than waste them on players who are never going to be best 22.

For the most part, midfielders are ready to go or close to it as soon as they are drafted and benefit significantly from the opportunity. Plus, our midfield depth is already significant enough that we don't need to continue to gift games to a player that's now been on our list for 8 years, time to move on and give someone else a shot.

Depth, especially mature aged depth IMO is far more important when it comes to KPPs and Rucks, in these positions young kids do tend to take time to develop both their game and their body, so you are often better off having a couple of older guys hanging around.

I'd be delisting Wright well ahead of Martin. With the faith of the selectors and an untroubled run of games he's proven he's pure depth and completely weaponless. Martin, again, looked very capable at the level.

Sad re Siggins. I still maintain he had the talent.

Reading between the lines sounds like depression or something along those lines.

One wonders if the Reilly incident affected him?

He was reported to be homesick in his very early days here as well. Sounds like it just never worked out for him. Shame.

It's reported to be a shallow draft, so they probably won't want to go in with more than 2-3 live selections. We know that Kelly & O'Brien will be upgraded, so we're probably looking at 4-5 players being delisted. Maybe more, depending on the outcome of trade week - but I'll leave that speculation for another thread.

Radar & JPod are either already retired, or as good as. That leaves 2-3 more changes.

Players most likely to be in the gun (in my opinion), in order, are:
  • Martin
  • Siggins
  • Shaw
Of the other players nominated here...
  • McGovern is safe as houses. There is not a snowball's chance in Hell that he'll be delisted after just 1 year on the list. I know they did it once, years ago, but it's not going to happen to McGovern.
  • Lowden, VB & Mackay are all contracted for 2016 (as is McGovern). I know half of BigFooty would like to see them gone (particularly the latter pair), but the chances of this happening are very close to zero.
  • Wright, Kerridge and Grigg are all out of contract this year and it's not inconceivable for any of them to discover themselves in the exit lounge. All are mediocre players with a limited future at AFL level. Wright probably offers most as a depth player, but Grigg & Kerridge are younger. I don't expect either to be gone, but it's a definite possibility if they need to clear some more positions on the list. Those who do survive will probably find themselves being offered only 1-year contracts.
  • Otten hasn't been named by anyone else, but I think there's a slim chance of him disappearing. It would be harsh to delist him just after he returns from a knee injury, but the odds on him making it back to AFL level would have to be fairly long this time around.
Looking at the rookie list, Osborn has to be gone. With Lowden & ROB ahead of him, there's no way he survives another year, given that we would have to re-draft him as a Cat A rookie. I'm not the best person to ask about Ramsey and Wilson, so I will happily defer to our resident SANFL watchers for discussion about their futures.

Pretty good post here Vader. I agree with most of it and won't repeat. A couple of further observations:

- Obviously since you posted this we've had virtual confirmation that Siggins is gone.
- I wouldn't be shocked if we ditch Lowden even with a year left on his contract. He is terrible and ROB's progression has basically meant that Lowden is futile. I legitimately think Osborn would be picked ahead of him at the moment (not saying Osborn is more likely to stay on the list - Osborn is much easier to cut).
- Agree that Martin/Shaw are at the top of the list. Otten is a free agent though and I wouldn't be making any great efforts to keep him out of the clutches of another club. I tend to think we will hang onto one of Otten and Shaw.
- I reckon Ramsey gets another year, more for what he did in pre-season than what he's done in the SANFL since.
- Wilson has delist written all over him but if the draft is as bad as people are saying, we may has well give him another year to make up our mind. We already have 2 picks in the rookie draft with Kelly and ROB being upgraded. No point going so deep into the dregs unless we have something specific in mind.

We need to balance our list...
We have too many 3rd tall defenders...
At least one of Otten, Shaw or Cheney need to go.

We are also top heavy with inside mids but unfortunately I think that issue will sort itself out with retirements and free agents.

I think we need two outside mids minimum, a key defender and a key forward.. Upgrade Kelly and Obrien...
Therefore we need to cut 6.... Reilly, Siggins, Martin, Wright, Pods and one of Otten, Shaw or Cheney

We need to balance our list...
We have too many 3rd tall defenders...
At least one of Otten, Shaw or Cheney need to go.

We are also top heavy with inside mids but unfortunately I think that issue will sort itself out with retirements and free agents.

I think we need two outside mids minimum, a key defender and a key forward.. Upgrade Kelly and Obrien...
Therefore we need to cut 6.... Reilly, Siggins, Martin, Wright, Pods and one of Otten, Shaw or Cheney
:eek: weak draft ....are you serious

Balance your wishlist with some practical realities

You do realise we are not rebuilding ...but actually topping off the list ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Delist: Siggins, Osborn and Wright
Retire: Pods and Reilly
Upgrade: O'Brien and Kelly
Keep (Rookie): Wilson and Ramsey
Trade: Kerridge, Martin

Siggins, Osborn and Wrights time is up. Wright is average at best, Osborn is unlucky we got a really good ruckman in ROB and Siggins sounds like he's suffering from mental health issues which comes before football. Pods has had a great run and i would love to see him and Callinan share the Captaincy, until Ian retires so he can take over the reigns. O'Brien and Kelly are the future of the AFC. Wilson and Ramsey need another year to prove themselves. Martin and Kerridge are good trading pieces so we could maybe get some 2nd Round Draft picks. There are some good outside runners (Aidyn Johnson and Mitchell Hibberd) and some bargain tall talent (Sam Skinner and Ben McKay) around the second round.

Should be noted that whilst we've signed O'Brien and Kelly to another couple of years, we could keep one/both on the rookie list if we wanted to take a couple of picks in the draft and not make too many list changes.

Delist: Siggins, Osborn and Wright
Retire: Pods and Reilly
Upgrade: O'Brien and Kelly
Keep (Rookie): Wilson and Ramsey
Trade: Kerridge, Martin

Siggins, Osborn and Wrights time is up. Wright is average at best, Osborn is unlucky we got a really good ruckman in ROB and Siggins sounds like he's suffering from mental health issues which comes before football. Pods has had a great run and i would love to see him and Callinan share the Captaincy, until Ian retires so he can take over the reigns. O'Brien and Kelly are the future of the AFC. Wilson and Ramsey need another year to prove themselves. Martin and Kerridge are good trading pieces so we could maybe get some 2nd Round Draft picks. There are some good outside runners (Aidyn Johnson and Mitchell Hibberd) and some bargain tall talent (Sam Skinner and Ben McKay) around the second round.

We are not going to get a second round pick for Martin or Kerridge. I like both of them but it would be about a 4th round.

Are you lot forgetting that Wright can't kick over 35m? Why would we want to keep him on our list?
6522466.jpg

Each player has his own set of strengths and weaknesses. Judging a man based on his inabilities is bullshit.

Last edited:
Lowden replaces Graham on our list as the "break glass in emergency". I seriously doubt we'd delist him early. This year he has had injury trouble. We've been lucky with Jacobs not getting injured. We will not risk having NO ruck cover if both he and ROB get injured.

I think Osborn will go. But given his injury affected career and his improvement over the last 2, he might earn a rookie spot. If this happens, Lowden's position becomes tenuous for 2017. If Osborn goes it doesn't affect our list position.

Siggins is going. Pods & Riley retired.

Two rookie elevations and one main draft pick are a distinct possibility.

On the chopping block Martin, Shaw and Otten. I can't see us delisting Shaw or Otten in reality. They probably get 1yr contracts.

Wright probably gets 1 year. Too good to delist, not good enough for full time best 22. Either that or he's traded.

Kerridge and Grigg are most likely to be the ones traded. They are on the cusp of selection and AFL standard. I feel with Wigg settling in at SANFL level his and his good kicking, I think they could back in Wigg and trade Grigg.

CEY gets a gig.

Ramsey needs another year. Wilson was always a project player, I'm backing him for 3 years on the rookie list to "show something".

I think we will have 1 pick in the main draft, perhaps 2 if we trade out a player. 2 rookie upgrades and 2 picks in the rookie draft.

:eek: weak draft ....are you serious

Balance your wishlist with some practical realities

You do realise we are not rebuilding ...but actually topping off the list ?

We will likely have two first round draft picks.. Possibly 4 picks inside 50.. Not keen on utilising those picks? And 4 picks is hardly a rebuild

I'd be delisting Wright well ahead of Martin. With the faith of the selectors and an untroubled run of games he's proven he's pure depth and completely weaponless. Martin, again, looked very capable at the level.
We need to get something for wright to some teams hel be a handy pick up. Even if its a low draft pick.

My preference is for Thompson to retire (or be ushered out).

I think he club is genuinely considering this but is waiting to see exactly what happens during the trade period. The future of Lyons, Kerridge and Grigg will have a bearing I reckon (along with Danger of course).

we need at least 3 picks in the draft...

im predicting we will finish 9th.. so we will have pick 10 and 11 (danger compo) then another one around pick 28.. so def 3 picks.

Siggins
Martin
????

Reilly
Pods

Remove this Banner Ad

Back