2015 Delistings

Remove this Banner Ad

Delist Wright, retire VB, manage Thommo.

Yeah pretty much this. I doubt either of these players gets delisted though. Crows have never been ruthless.

Wright probably won't be delisted but he shouldn't be given anything over a 1 year contract. Break glass in case of emergency type player.

Van Berlo also probably won't be delisted but he's been nothing short of terrible this season. He's very lucky to be at a side that has a knack for playing guys one year past their used-by date.

Thompson is still too useful to the team to be retiring but I wish we would make him more part-time and get a young player in their learning that position.

Delisted / Retirement

Sam Siggins
James Podsiadly
Brent Reilly

On the Edge
Mitch Grigg (just cant seem to crack it, likely to still have another year though)
Brodie Martin (shows glimpses of being a gun but just cant be consistent often enough)
Sam Shaw (lack of depth of tall defenders will prolong his life on the list you would think)
Mitch McGovern (Harsh but some not uncommon for first years to be delisted)
Nathan Van Berlo (likely to get another year but will certainly have to earn his spot next year, probably just be a depth player)
Matthew Wright (Unlikely to be delisted but will turn into a depth player next year)
If he's delisted someone in our recruiting team should be shot. He will be a quality player and needs a good preseason and run of form. Osborn more likely to make way.

Delisted / Retirement

Sam Siggins
James Podsiadly
Brent Reilly

On the Edge
Mitch Grigg (just cant seem to crack it, likely to still have another year though)
Brodie Martin (shows glimpses of being a gun but just cant be consistent often enough)
Sam Shaw (lack of depth of tall defenders will prolong his life on the list you would think)
Nathan Van Berlo (likely to get another year but will certainly have to earn his spot next year, probably just be a depth player)
Matthew Wright (Unlikely to be delisted but will turn into a depth player next year)

A very big no to Grigg and Mcgovern, and it is very rare for first year players to be delisted (unless they're on the rookie list) as they have an initial two year contract, I don't even understand why we would won't to delist him anyway.

Can't trade VB he might be past his prime but great clubs look after their own. What club trades their former captain. Can become depth or retire in my opinion.

Didn't Geelong trade Steven King, a former Captain just before they won all their Premierships ?

Can't trade VB he might be past his prime but great clubs look after their own. What club trades their former captain. Can become depth or retire in my opinion.

Didn't Geelong trade Steven King, a former Captain just before they won all their Premierships ?
Brisbane have just told former Captain J. Adcock he's no longer required...

Well the Bulldogs last year for one. ..

Delisted / Retirement

Sam Siggins
James Podsiadly
Brent Reilly

On the Edge
McGovern isn't going anywhere. He was drafted as a long term prospect, and he's shown a bit at SANFL level this year with a few bags of 4.

yep good for them but I want my team to move away from Smarts/Triggs idea of being a business and become a club that respects its previous leaders and players. I like that we got Matt crouch cos of the Vince deal but I still didn't want it to occur.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why? He still hasn't signed a contract (ends 2015 & most likely wasn't even offered one) and is just not good enough for AFL football, the club has tried to trade him for the last three years. If we're about being a ruthless team in a performance based industry where this is F1 football then we cannot have players like Wright in the side where others like Lyons and Knight and Kerridge can play exactly the same role but to a higher level. Wright has reached his ceiling, he's just not good enough.

I'm sick of the boys club mentality at the AFC, if we want to be successful we need to replace these players immediately & blood the youngsters or suffer long term.
Surely we can trade him for pick 70 or something?

Delisted:
Siggins, just hasnt shown anything.
Martin, tries hard but has been there long enough.
Osborn, isnt good enough.
Lowden, ''
Retire:
Vb, past his best no longer best 22.
Jpod, been solid but is ready for retirement.
Reilly, terrible injury.
Trade:
Kerridge, get value for him if hes not in our best 22.
Wright, trade him for a low pick and bring in a kid that can kick over 35m.
Shaw, too injury prone and cant hit the side of a barn.
Henderson, weak at the contest, provides run and carry + versatility. We need to replace him with a player like yarran.
Mackay, can we trade a player that has 2 years left on his contract?

Delisted / Retirement

Sam Siggins
James Podsiadly
Brent Reilly

On the Edge

Mitch McGovern will not be delisted. That's just crazy talk.

I never actually said he would be delisted. I just suggested he might be on the edge. New draftees that dont look like getting a run any time soon are always on the edge. Happy to be wrong and he stays 15 years.

He wouldn't even be close to the edge.

Before we delist half the squad, isn't it a shallow draft?
Totally agree, we'll only draft like 2 players at most. Unless we trade in a heap, the retiring of Pods and Reilly leave those two spots straight off the bat. Martin is a bloody good and cheap hole filler. He's the perfect guy to bring in for a few weeks when someone's injured. ATM we are looking great health wise as stated by Campo today. If we start getting a few guys out we need Martin and Wright there as solid guys.

It's reported to be a shallow draft, so they probably won't want to go in with more than 2-3 live selections. We know that Kelly & O'Brien will be upgraded, so we're probably looking at 4-5 players being delisted. Maybe more, depending on the outcome of trade week - but I'll leave that speculation for another thread.

Radar & JPod are either already retired, or as good as. That leaves 2-3 more changes.

Players most likely to be in the gun (in my opinion), in order, are:
  • Martin
  • Siggins
  • Shaw
Of the other players nominated here...
  • McGovern is safe as houses. There is not a snowball's chance in Hell that he'll be delisted after just 1 year on the list. I know they did it once, years ago, but it's not going to happen to McGovern.
  • Lowden, VB & Mackay are all contracted for 2016 (as is McGovern). I know half of BigFooty would like to see them gone (particularly the latter pair), but the chances of this happening are very close to zero.
  • Wright, Kerridge and Grigg are all out of contract this year and it's not inconceivable for any of them to discover themselves in the exit lounge. All are mediocre players with a limited future at AFL level. Wright probably offers most as a depth player, but Grigg & Kerridge are younger. I don't expect either to be gone, but it's a definite possibility if they need to clear some more positions on the list. Those who do survive will probably find themselves being offered only 1-year contracts.
  • Otten hasn't been named by anyone else, but I think there's a slim chance of him disappearing. It would be harsh to delist him just after he returns from a knee injury, but the odds on him making it back to AFL level would have to be fairly long this time around.
Looking at the rookie list, Osborn has to be gone. With Lowden & ROB ahead of him, there's no way he survives another year, given that we would have to re-draft him as a Cat A rookie. I'm not the best person to ask about Ramsey and Wilson, so I will happily defer to our resident SANFL watchers for discussion about their futures.

Last edited:
I've got more chance of being rookie listed than McGovern getting the chop and I haven't played a competitive game in 10 years.

Siggins, Osborne, Reilly, pods and Martin all gone. Kelly and Rob upgraded with 3 live picks in the draft.
Osborn is on the rookie list, so delisting him does not generate a live pick in the National Draft. Actually, as a Category B rookie, delisting him doesn't even generate a live pick in the rookie draft either.

Osborn is on the rookie list, so delisting him does not generate a live pick in the National Draft. Actually, as a Category B rookie, delisting him doesn't even generate a live pick in the rookie draft either.
Good call...add vb to that list then. Wishful thinking

Remove this Banner Ad

Back