List Mgmt. 2015 DRAFT discussion - Clayton Oliver #4, Sam Weideman #10, Mitch King #42, Liam Hulett #46

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think the Clark-Varcoe-Lumumba trade would've fetched a 2nd rounder, not a top one anyway. I reckon they were 3rd rounder types and the 3 clubs didn't want to embarrass the players by showing it. So that trade didn't bother me. Vince was much needed. Nath Jones needed a buddy. It's not exactly a huge conspiracy theory to suggest the Sylvia FA compensation was dependent on it going to Adel for Vince is it. Wouldn't surprise me. The Frost deal was questionable but it depends on how you and the club rated ANB I guess. Time will tell. With good recruiting moving back in the draft but staying in the top 40 or so picks is probably a sound strategy.

Dawes was a stuff up. His injuries haven't helped but haven't been a shock either. Although I think if it wasn't Dawes we would've given up some draft pick for a mature key forward at some stage when Clark went down. It's kind of negligent to not enter a season with at least 1 mature forward. Maybe we would've found someone better, I hope so, but we could've easily just ended up with a Jesse White.

Overall we've made progress, what I'm more worried about is a shallow draft this year and some contract blunders to battlers effecting our ability to strip more dead weight from the list.

I'm not saying we shouldn't have traded those picks , because we had to we really lacked any senior players

But 4 drafts in a row our second rounder wasn't taken to the draft so we haven't built the midfield underneath we needed yet

I heard Salem is in VFL side this week and Kent in development squad. Is this true or have I been paying attention to liers who mess me around again?
From yesterday: http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2015-07-14/kent-a-chance-to-play-development-league

Elite performance manager Dave Misson said Kent was on the cusp of playing for Casey against the Northern Blues in the early game at IKON Park (Princes Park) at 11am on Saturday.

“Dean had a really good week at training last week and did a big footy conditioning session on the weekend,” he toldDee TV.

“He’ll train again with the group tomorrow (Wednesday) and after that session we’ll just make a decision as to whether he plays VFL development this week, as part of his training progression.

“Whether he does [play] or not, he’ll be available for VFL next week.”

Silky-skilled Demon Christian Salem is set to miss one more week with a hamstring injury.

“He’ll do his first session back with the group tomorrow (Wednesday) and he’ll need a few sessions, but he’s more than likely to be looking to play some Development [League] football next week,” Misson said.

Has there been an important pick we've severely stuffed up since we picked up Taylor? (2013)

Have a feeling whoever we end up with is going to be a good->great player :thumbsu:
Haven't we only had three top picks, and one of them is yet to play?

Talent being the key word. Brown wouldn't be an upgrade on Pedersen or even Dawes.
Surely has to be better than Dawes.

I really like Pedersen. For a second forward in a garbage side he does pretty well for himself.

No thanks on Brown. Talked up in the article, has kicked 14 odd goals and had a few high possession and marking games down back. Yee, ha. Seems like he's starred in a few games in the VFL - Jordie McKenzie stars every week; doesn't mean he's any good. We can do better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brown is a big, athletic guy who can be pretty serviceable when he's on.

That said, he's as dumb a dogshit when it comes to running patterns and ability to play within structures.

I would rather have Dawes. He's down on form, but at least he generally moves to the right spots and plays a selfless game.

Get Prestia in. He's a proven elite AFL mid. I'd swap our first pick plus Howe for him every day of the week. I reckon we'd be looking at Mathieson or Parish who may or may not make it as gun players. We know that Prestia is a gun. Yes please, every day of the week.

I would rather have Dawes. He's down on form, but at least he generally moves to the right spots and plays a selfless game.
I think he simply runs to where he has the best chance of taking a mark. That sounds good in theory but more often than not it isn't within range of goal because he struggles to get separation in the clinches.

When he does get separation he usually demands the footy a lot at 40+m passes when we are coming out of the back half and better off going run and carry due to low percentages of him taking the mark.

It's not entirely Dawes' fault though as we aren't a great kicking side.

In the context of simply making a contest I agree he has been more selfless in past weeks and made an effort which has been noticeable.

RE: The Draft, Prestia (or equivalent player) >>>> 1st round pick.

RE: The Draft, Prestia (or equivalent player) >>>> 1st round pick.
Yeah I'd consider going to the draft if we finished bottom 2 and were guaranteed to get one of Weitering or Schache (a KPP), but if not (and I seriously hope this is the case) you'd definitely prefer the proven commodity midfielder in Prestia to drafting an untried midfielder. Vice-captain at the Suns too.

Yeah I'd consider going to the draft if we finished bottom 2 and were guaranteed to get one of Weitering or Schache (a KPP), but if not (and I seriously hope this is the case) you'd definitely prefer the proven commodity midfielder in Prestia to drafting an untried midfielder. Vice-captain at the Suns too.

I dont know how much it means, But Brian Taylor spoke of him on the rub as a kid of great integrity and a future captain of the suns possibly replacing ablett

I've been a big fan of getting Schache to Melbourne even before he broke out in this years U18 Champs, but even if we had pick 1 Prestia over unproven talent.

I've been a big fan of getting Schache to Melbourne even before he broke out in this years U18 Champs, but even if we had pick 1 Prestia over unproven talent.
The risk is though that there's no way to know what Prestia will look like after he comes back from his injury.

http://www.afl.com.au/draft/blog

"I don't think there is any midfielder as classy as Darcy Parish, so he would be the first in my view. He might be the best of the lot even when you include academy prospects Callum Mills (Sydney Swans), Jacob Hopper and Matt Kennedy (GWS) and Ben Keays (Brisbane Lions)."

http://www.afl.com.au/draft/blog

"I don't think there is any midfielder as classy as Darcy Parish, so he would be the first in my view. He might be the best of the lot even when you include academy prospects Callum Mills (Sydney Swans), Jacob Hopper and Matt Kennedy (GWS) and Ben Keays (Brisbane Lions)."
This makes me think that having pick four is worthless and may as well be traded. not much talent on offer, the best will go to pick one and the others are all academy players. So i'd rather see us trade it, but then again it might not fetch high currency on the trade market either

This makes me think that having pick four is worthless and may as well be traded. not much talent on offer, the best will go to pick one and the others are all academy players. So i'd rather see us trade it, but then again it might not fetch high currency on the trade market either

Quite the opposite may be true if we have pick four actually. The top three picks all seem to be key position players, meaning we may get access to the best mid (Parish) with No.4.

Still, I'm definitely open to trading our first pick if it helps us land a Prestia, Motlop etc.

Schache and Weitering and Francis all look to be picks 1-3.

Schache and Weitering and Francis all look to be picks 1-3.

Exactly, No matter who finishes in the bottom 3 those KPP are going first because we all need them
If Someone was to reach for Parish id be happy with Francis,only his fitness would stop him playing round 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back