List Mgmt. 2015 DRAFT discussion - Clayton Oliver #4, Sam Weideman #10, Mitch King #42, Liam Hulett #46

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
At first I do see him potentially leading out of the forward 50 rather than starting in the midfield.

He wont be used as often as Hogan though, the idea will be to use him like Stringer ... Pick the ball up at ground level and explode towards goal

He wont be used as often as Hogan though, the idea will be to use him like Stringer ... Pick the ball up at ground level and explode towards goal
Petracca is quick and very agile but I don't think he has Stringer's mobility. And his marking is infinitely better, it would be a waste to try and force him into the Stringer role. If he becomes half the player Stringer is though I'll be stoked. Absolute freak, one of my favourite players to watch.

Petracca is quick and very agile but I don't think he has Stringer's mobility. And his marking is infinitely better, it would be a waste to try and force him into the Stringer role. If he becomes half the player Stringer is though I'll be stoked. Absolute freak,
one of my favourite players to watch.

Im not saying to copy the stringer role, but Petraccas strength was his ability to burst out of a pack.. meaning he could play like stringer and be hard to stop at ground level

Agree about Stringer though, he could be the hardest forward in the league to matchup on some day

Im not saying to copy the stringer role, but Petraccas strength was his ability to burst out of a pack.. meaning he could play like stringer and be hard to stop at ground level

Agree about Stringer though, he could be the hardest forward in the league to matchup on some day
Petracca does that in the stoppages, I don't know if I've seen him do as much of it when the ball is on the ground. I can see Petracca being a high or even deep marking target who because of his size and strength demands a larger opponent, but can shake them on the lead with his speed. I wouldn't mind if he was only getting 8-10 disposals a game if he's kicking a goal or two and laying the pressure/score assisting.

If Jamie Elliott can do it, Petracca should be able to make a decent fist of it.

He's not a target though - he comes in as the extra man to the contest.

If he was the player the contest formed around he'd be spoiled every time.

From what I'm gathering, if the club doesn't get an A grade player in the trade window and we keep our first pick I suspect we'll be looking at drafting a Rhys Mathieson or Charlie Curnow type with it, the reason being that they're more inside ball winners.

Given that we are supposedly targeting Jake Melksham and Ben Kennedy, it's clear that the club does not want to draft an outside player with an early pick and will be using trade period to do so instead. Outside players usually take more time to develop, and can sometimes be flakey at AFL level (see Morton). The club is going down a path of trying to get us around the finals region and fast in time for when Goodwin takes over by overloading with hard ball winners.

A Mathieson type will have a bigger impact in his first season than say Partington, even if Partington goes on to play 200 games and be better down the track.

It's a safer approach, although it perhaps limits the ceiling somewhat. The club will target outside types from other clubs they consider at least 'proven at AFL level' even if underwhelming in Melkshams case rather than blood more younger types, with maybe the exception of Billy Stretch, because we can't afford to waste picks nor do we have time.

The AFL won't bail us out a second time and given how long we've been down for the club hierarchy know we cannot afford more time towards the bottom and losing supporters.

Again this is clear by the way the club is looking to offload Toumpas, who is not so much hard at it and we cannot afford to waste more time on someone we aren't convinced will make it.

From all this, we can rule out drafting any of the following:
Luke Partington
Darcy Tucker
Callum Ah Chee
Ryan Clarke
James Parsons
Darcy Parish

And put back into calculations:
Rhys Mathieson
Clayton Oliver
Jacob Hooper (GWS bound, expect us to bid)
Charlie Curnow

I personally can't see us drafting a KPP as we seem to be relatively stocked up in that area. We might draft a ruck later on but unlikely with our early selections.

From what I'm gathering, if the club doesn't get an A grade player in the trade window and we keep our first pick I suspect we'll be looking at drafting a Rhys Mathieson or Charlie Curnow type with it, the reason being that they're more inside ball winners.

Given that we are supposedly targeting Jake Melksham and Ben Kennedy, it's clear that the club does not want to draft an outside player with an early pick and will be using trade period to do so instead. Outside players usually take more time to develop, and can sometimes be flakey at AFL level (see Morton). The club is going down a path of trying to get us around the finals region and fast in time for when Goodwin takes over by overloading with hard ball winners.

A Mathieson type will have a bigger impact in his first season than say Partington, even if Partington goes on to play 200 games and be better down the track.

It's a safer approach, although it perhaps limits the ceiling somewhat. The club will target outside types from other clubs they consider at least 'proven at AFL level' even if underwhelming in Melkshams case rather than blood more younger types, with maybe the exception of Billy Stretch, because we can't afford to waste picks nor do we have time.

The AFL won't bail us out a second time and given how long we've been down for the club hierarchy know we cannot afford more time towards the bottom and losing supporters.

Again this is clear by the way the club is looking to offload Toumpas, who is not so much hard at it and we cannot afford to waste more time on someone we aren't convinced will make it.

Luke Partington
Darcy Tucker
Callum Ah Chee
Ryan Clarke
James Parsons
Darcy Parish

Rhys Mathieson
Clayton Oliver
Charlie Curnow

I personally can't see us drafting a KPP as we seem to be relatively stocked up in that area. We might draft a ruck later on but unlikely with our early selections.
Interesting..

Is that your personal opinion or connections through the club?

Just personal opinion. But it makes sense when you think about it.
Our record with skinny outside mids have been very poor so i wouldn't be surprise if they really were gun shy. If Curnow is there i think we will select him and he will start his career as a forward first then push into the midfield with Petracca. 191cm 95 running around in the middle is an exciting thought.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watching Curnow play - I now think he's more a KPP type.

Sellout Scully I think that's an interesting point of view, but I think our recruiters have to be open to drafting the best available talent full stop.

To be an elite AFL player you have to be able to win the ball in a contest and I agree that's a theme our recruiters have used when picking players early.

Salem, for example, wasn't the type of pick you're talking about - but he looks a pretty good pick now.

Guys you've ruled out like Tucker, Parish or Clarke are actually all players who can win the ball and certainly Tucker and Parish are guys we should be considering at our first pick.

He's not a target though - he comes in as the extra man to the contest.

If he was the player the contest formed around he'd be spoiled every time.

Averages one mark a game less than Cloke, plays as a lead up forward half the time. Definitely is a target.

Averages one mark a game less than Cloke, plays as a lead up forward half the time. Definitely is a target.

Different target though, he is on the move and is used when Cloke is being double teamed
Hes also a pretty bloody good player

Reckon Petracca will play like Dustin Martin. Except hopefully more consistent. That midfielder who can all of a sudden pop up and jag three

Luke Partington
Darcy Tucker
Callum Ah Chee
Ryan Clarke
James Parsons
Darcy Parish

Rhys Mathieson
Clayton Oliver
Charlie Curnow

I reckon it will be Balic. Mathieson is too blue collar for an early first round pick.

He should be passed over for his hairstyle alone. Plus he looks like he weighs about 50kg. Picking waifs hasn't been our most successful recruiting strategy in the past Dez.

Oh well s**t a teenage footy player needs to put on weight, that's unheard of.

He's a talented kid and we've got the right people around the club to develop him properly should we get him.

Hopefully Trengove and Petracca make full recoveries. Add a fit Kent and this will really push ahead our small/medium stocks - maybe Melksham as well. I would like to see a forward KPP recruited in the draft. Buckenara's top 10 for this year contains 6 talls. He said drafting talls when available is the key - set up the current Hawks era.

Hopefully Trengove and Petracca make full recoveries. Add a fit Kent and this will really push ahead our small/medium stocks - maybe Melksham as well. I would like to see a forward KPP recruited in the draft. Buckenara's top 10 for this year contains 6 talls. He said drafting talls when available is the key - set up the current Hawks era.
Dunno about that, they've largely traded in their KPDs and Buddy hasn't been there for the last 2. Roughys not particularly dominant in finals either. Their current era has been built on a great coach, culture and an even contribution (+ the likes of Mitchell , Hodge, burgoyne etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back