List Mgmt. 2015 Draft: Jacob Hopper GWS Academy Player Rated A Top 5 Pick

Remove this Banner Ad

I guess I was not clear. 2 points.

Point1, 200 games for SANFL was brought in when it was a standard R3 pick. Now that it requires bidding , why not make it easier to access. My only quibble is the mindset of some who feel they are hard done by to access SANFL players using 200 games. It would be like Geelong being able to access FS's from the old VFA team Geelong West , it was not the same comp. But this is probably too emotionally correct for it be looked at like that , so its why I said Id be willing to reduce the numbers.. its not that long too go anyway.

Point 2, How do you perceive the feeling that the Vics have about your Academies. Do you feel there is a general push from Vic to not allow you them at all? To deny you players? Or to deny you the players at the current discount? Personally Im happy to have the Academies up and running , happy for a discount ... just not happy the possibility of multiple R1's for R2 and R3 , and if up and going able to do it each year. FS's are luck to a degree , if done properly Academies should be close to producing players each year , possibly R1 & R2 players each year.

Well said. I like the academy for picks in rounds 3,4. Kids get to stay in their state, home audience all that jazz. We've had so many compromised drafts lately I'm just not excited about the swans effectively getting a pick 1 and 5 for (assuming) 16 and 18...on top of a big salary cap.

I guess I was not clear. 2 points.

Point1, 200 games for SANFL was brought in when it was a standard R3 pick. Now that it requires bidding , why not make it easier to access. My only quibble is the mindset of some who feel they are hard done by to access SANFL players using 200 games. It would be like Geelong being able to access FS's from the old VFA team Geelong West , it was not the same comp. But this is probably too emotionally correct for it be looked at like that , so its why I said Id be willing to reduce the numbers.. its not that long too go anyway.

I wouldn't mind them fixing it, but ultimately it's only for two more years after which Port is on the normal rules anyway. Doesn't seem worth stuffing around with it now.

Point 2, How do you perceive the feeling that the Vics have about your Academies. Do you feel there is a general push from Vic to not allow you them at all? To deny you players? Or to deny you the players at the current discount? Personally Im happy to have the Academies up and running , happy for a discount ... just not happy the possibility of multiple R1's for R2 and R3 , and if up and going able to do it each year. FS's are luck to a degree , if done properly Academies should be close to producing players each year , possibly R1 & R2 players each year.

People who don't have the short-sighted "our own club over all" mentality seem generally receptive to the academies, and you have to separate "Vics" into punters like those here on BF, media, and the actual AFL hierarchy. The BF posters are a horrible sample set because so many have a rabid "if it doesn't directly benefit my club, destroy it" mentality. I don't think that's common in reality - reaction to the academies probably hovers between apathetic and ignorant, which is fine. I don't know what Fremantle does for player retention, to pick a random example, so a person in the street not knowing or caring about the academies isn't a big deal.

However I'm pretty sure plenty of club higher-ups are in favour and have commented as such, e.g. an Adelaide club rep. The idea of growing the pool of draftable kids gives everyone who isn't taking academy players extra chances at talent too, not to mention locally grown heroes are a great way to build local followings, crowds and TV ratings. Eddie gives everyone a bad name with his ranting and he really does seem to go off the deep end more and more often these days, but the hope is that McLaughlin doesn't bend over like the AFL has in the past.

I don't think there's a concerted push to remove the academies but the Heeney/Mills/Dunkley episode has exposed a bit of a limitation. I find it laughable that there's such a kneejerk reaction because it's blatantly obvious that this could have happened, and in fact it already did with Liberatore and Wallis going to the Dogs. Funnily enough it's not an issue when it's the Dogs, but it is with Sydney. If the Dogs had won two GFs over the previous ten years and played in two more, that might have been a different story, or it might just be parochialism. Who knows?

I think there has to be a discount in place and a reasonable one, as financing and running the academies properly is not a trivial task. I can see that a discount from pick 2 to pick 18 (or whatever Heeney ended up being taken at) is a lot more than pick 34 to 53 (random example, Harris Andrews dropping a full round because the Lions had already taken Dawson in Round 3). I'd rather see some effort done at closing the gap for the former, but fiddling around with formulas for picks outside the first round seems fairly pointless and complex for the sake of complexity.

On your final note, if done properly academies should produce top players each year... but I've consistently argued that when that happens, the academies should be taken off the clubs. That's way too big a concession but I still think that's five to ten years down the track.

#14 Jacob Hopper:
21 disposals (including game high 12 contested possessions), 2 marks, 3 clearances, 4 Inside 50s, 3 Rebound 50s

A player on the rise, Hopper’s brilliant season 2015 continued on the weekend, with 21 disposals for the promising youngster tied to the GWS Academy. His work at the coalface of midfield was notable once again, he’s a clean player who acquires and disposes of the ball quickly in tight. He was a big reason for the Academy’s terrific performance and deserves applause for the season he has had to date. Hopper is a potential top 5 selection.
http://madmondayshow.com/2015/04/16/gallant-afl-academy-narrowly-defeated-by-northern-blues/

Don't forget we've got ahern as a young, quality mid learning the craft and building his tank. He's quick, strongly built, can play inside and is good by foot.
Having a look at team we still have ahern Pickett an as well as jack Steele who reminds me of ward and has been carving up in the nefal

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we lose them we get an A grade player in return, a top 7 draft pick or a first round pick with an upgrade on second round. It all points to a long-term stint of relatively good years ala Sydney, Hawks, Geelong. While disappointing in losing them, I don't think it will be as big a deal as most think.

If we lose them we get an A grade player in return, a top 7 draft pick or a first round pick with an upgrade on second round. It all points to a long-term stint of relatively good years ala Sydney, Hawks, Geelong. While disappointing in losing them, I don't think it will be as big a deal as most think.
loosing two of the comps premier mids would absolutely hurt us. Draft pick mean nothing as players flop every year and they take time to develop. Our time is now, not in 5 more years when next years draft picks can handle afl level. Keeping them is crucial to the team's success.

That said...its round 4...sigh its gonna b a long year if these conversations have already started

I think these guys are incredibly important to the viability of your club and the grow of Aussie Rules in NSW as a football code. They form the connection to the viewing public in parts of your region propelling future development forward and establishing and growing your fan base!

Putting it in layman's terms it strengthens the footy network and allows stakeholders to promote the game and club far more effectively with meaning so new interested parties actually buy in to the truth about the potential for the club having a long and lasting positive impact in the region for the community as a whole! Just a clear example of the rewards of investing in the Giants providing positive benefits for society really!

Twomey is on a campaign to break down our concessions.

He never misses an opportunity to talk up potential claims.

It's pretty poor given his employer is the AFL!!

Very poor.

And even if we do end up with two Riverina boys, if they are good enough, we are going to have to use our top picks to get therm - what is the problem exactly? We would be choosing two NSW boys who have not had the same development opportunities as Melbourne boys going through their elite U18s comp. How on Earth is that an unfair advantage to the Giants?

Very poor.

And even if we do end up with two Riverina boys, if they are good enough, we are going to have to use our top picks to get therm - what is the problem exactly? We would be choosing two NSW boys who have not had the same development opportunities as Melbourne boys going through their elite U18s comp. How on Earth is that an unfair advantage to the Giants?
Now now. Its a Victorian game after all. They should be the only ones with benefits......

Remove this Banner Ad

Back