Prediction 2024 GWS Giants - Predicted best 22, breakout player(s), general player/team discussion & questions

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
We have our 2024 squad now settled, all draftees are on board, and it's time to think (dream!) about what season 2024 may hold. As we did last year, I've gone with a broader title for this thread than just "best 22", to have a more all-encompassing discussion about list/player/game aspects. And take general questions from other fans (all fine, as long as you are respectful to this board's members and the club).

Who do you predict as our breakout player(s) in 2024? Who do you want to see in different roles in 2024? Who's on notice that their form needs to improve from 2023 to hold a place in the team next year? Which of our draftees will debut next year, and will any star?

I'll kick it off with this SEN prediction: The player from your AFL club who is set to explode in 2024

Finn Callaghan

2024 might just be the year Finn Callaghan explodes into one of the best midfielders in the competition. That might be a big call given he’s only 20 and played 26 games but we’ve seen younger midfielders take the game a hold in recent years. He’s had a shocking run of injury since being taken with pick three in 2021 but his form in the finals series late last year was encouraging for GWS fans.

Here's hoping! 🤞

We have our 2024 squad now settled, all draftees are on board, and it's time to think (dream!) about what season 2024 may hold. As we did last year, I've gone with a broader title for this thread than just "best 22", to have a more all-encompassing discussion about list/player/game aspects. And take general questions from other fans (all fine, as long as you are respectful to this board's members and the club).

Who do you predict as our breakout player(s) in 2024? Who do you want to see in different roles in 2024? Who's on notice that their form needs to improve from 2023 to hold a place in the team next year? Which of our draftees will debut next year, and will any star?

I'll kick it off with this SEN prediction: The player from your AFL club who is set to explode in 2024

Finn Callaghan

2024 might just be the year Finn Callaghan explodes into one of the best midfielders in the competition. That might be a big call given he’s only 20 and played 26 games but we’ve seen younger midfielders take the game a hold in recent years. He’s had a shocking run of injury since being taken with pick three in 2021 but his form in the finals series late last year was encouraging for GWS fans.

Here's hoping! 🤞
Hoping Riccardi, think it would really help things to have a consistent threat next to Hogan. He played that role for the most part in the second half of the year although still went missing at times. His second half was as consistent and productive as he's ever been and if that's the baseline for what he can bring from now on then it'll make us even more damaging. Also excited to see how HH looks with a preseason in defense under his belt and a full season back there, think he could be in the AA conversation.

I'm really keen to see how some of the lesser guys go ... can see Brown and XOH really blooming this year. The Buckley, Idun, Taylor triumvirate could be anything this year, making it super hard to score against us. Finally, how much does Cadman develop with a second full preseason ... basically, I'm as excited as i've ever been. And that's not mentioning Jones, Gru etc

I'm really keen to see how some of the lesser guys go ... can see Brown and XOH really blooming this year. The Buckley, Idun, Taylor triumvirate could be anything this year, making it super hard to score against us. Finally, how much does Cadman develop with a second full preseason ... basically, I'm as excited as i've ever been. And that's not mentioning Jones, Gru etc
Not counting on a whole lot from Jones this year, essentially his first year plus coming off an ACL it's going to take some time to not only feel good in his body but also getting used to AFL footy so expecting mainly 2s from him this year. Really like him and think he could make an impact towards the back end of the year once he gets going. Gru was great throughout the year in the 2s and offers something that other forwards don't as a high flying target.

Last edited:
Idun Taylor Buckley
Whitfield Perryman Ash

Cogs Kelly Green
Cumming(w) Briggs Callaghan(w)

Bedford Greene Daniels
Brown Hogan Riccardi

Cadman, Himmelberg, Rowston, Stone(Ward)

Ambitious with Stone but if he's going to get some luck I think it could be this year as a forward who spends some time on the wing.

Idun Taylor Buckley
Whitfield Perryman Ash

Cogs Kelly Green
Cumming(w) Briggs Callaghan(w)

Bedford Greene Daniels
Brown Hogan Riccardi

Cadman, Himmelberg, Rowston, Stone(Ward)

Ambitious with Stone but if he's going to get some luck I think it could be this year as a forward who spends some time on the wing.
Reckon XOH is way ahead of Stone, but I (like you) would love to see Stone make it this year

The thing that doesn't fill me with heaps of confidence in Stone (despite being keen for him to come online, because we could do with someone with his physical profile), is that he hasn't really seemed to make an impact at VFL level either yet? So yes, poor run of form with injuries etc... but that class and atheleticism we were promised seems more than a few clicks away.

Fingers crossed for him.

Yeah it's troublesome. He has looked a little cautious on his feet and tackling which makes sense given his body letting him down.
I'm hoping he has a pre-season that gets his confidence up. Still probably behind XO to start but only takes an injury or two to test our depth.
The thing that doesn't fill me with heaps of confidence in Stone (despite being keen for him to come online, because we could do with someone with his physical profile), is that he hasn't really seemed to make an impact at VFL level either yet? So yes, poor run of form with injuries etc... but that class and atheleticism we were promised seems more than a few clicks away.

Fingers crossed for him.

Fingers crossed for him.
I’ve said the whole time he is reactive. I’d love to see him come good but nothing I’ve seen has demonstrated he would.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Briggs getting to the level where he's capable of running out games his own with minimal chop out would really allow us some more lineup flexibility in that third tall spot, not having to sacrifice firepower for a bloke that can play as a ruck would be great. Doesn't mean Briggs has to take 100% of ruck contests but if he can shoulder most of the load and we can get away with Riccardi or someone doing a only a handful that'd be ideal.

Briggs getting to the level where he's capable of running out games his own with minimal chop out would really allow us some more lineup flexibility in that third tall spot, not having to sacrifice firepower for a bloke that can play as a ruck would be great. Doesn't mean Briggs has to take 100% of ruck contests but if he can shoulder most of the load and we can get away with Riccardi or someone doing a only a handful that'd be ideal.
Agree that that's the ideal set up having three genuine targets up front rather than a Keefe.
I'd love to see Cadman become a problem match up next year..

Looks like fox sports has Caruso level confidence in Gothard.

I think I say this most years - but it is my very firm belief that no draftee ever starts the year as best 22, regardless of the wraps on the kid.

I also think that spot belongs to XO who has earned it.
I’m also not yet convinced Cadman is best22 - I have very high hopes for the lad, but based on last year, he has a long way to go.

I think I say this most years - but it is my very firm belief that no draftee ever starts the year as best 22, regardless of the wraps on the kid.

I also think that spot belongs to XO who has earned it.
I’m also not yet convinced Cadman is best22 - I have very high hopes for the lad, but based on last year, he has a long way to go.
There is balance around development through. I agree Gothard doesn't start round 1 but if Cadman is looking good preseason we should keep him in the team to get games into him at the level. Of course don't want to gift him games but playing it could pay off in the second half of the year.... especially with the rest of the team quite settled.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back