Prediction 2024 GWS Giants - Predicted best 22, breakout player(s), general player/team discussion & questions

Remove this Banner Ad

The contest for the wing roles is going to be fascinating in the lead-up to this season.

You've have 2 spots. So 2 out of Callaghan, Cumming, Angwin, Haynes, Fahey, Hamilton, Wehr.

Gets even more interesting if Callaghan moves to a more inside role.
I thought Cumming was solid in just first time playing on the wing. He looks to have trimmed off a bit - likely built his tank somewhat.
Don’t underestimate the importance of having a left footer on the left wing and a right footer on the right.

I thought Cumming was solid in just first time playing on the wing. He looks to have trimmed off a bit - likely built his tank somewhat.
Don’t underestimate the importance of having a left footer on the left wing and a right footer on the right.
Do you really think the Left foot/Right foot thing adds anything at all? That seems pretty superficial and something thats nice on paper to look at but I don't think it's going to impact games whatsoever. Pick the 2 best wingers, couldn't care less what foot they kick with.

I think Cumming with a full preseason of training at the wing position will take that spot quite easily. I like Angwin and Fahey but Cumming probably just has the edge in experience and class going into a year where we want to win rather than develop.

Won't be surprised if Cumming is pushed out of the best 23 by Angwin.
he has been rated very highly internally from the second he got here. This would not surprise me at all.

Angwin legitimately has not looked like an AFL player 3 years into his career, not someone who is particularly prolific in the 2s and when he plays with the seniors goes unsighted a lot. Cumming wasn't that good on the wing in the backend of last year but lets see if Angwin can look like an AFL player first before he starts kicking people out of the best 22.
Feel this is very harsh on Angwin. He played a very important role in that run last year.
His 2 way running saw him with lots of important moments.

I really like Cumming and think he is definitely a top 22 player, but feel that is in the back 6.

Something Id like to see is Whitfield on the wing with Cumming back. I like to see Whitfield and Finn sending the ball inside 50 more than any other players. Also I think they'd run the pants off whoever was on them.
I feel Cumming defends better than Whitfield as well. Disadvantage is we lose some run from the back.

Midfield expirement was a fail then in your opinion? Looking at him in a keeper league so just trying to asses his future scoring potential
not so much, jsut think he is a steady head down back. In a keeper league, I think he is certainly worth holding.

Another thread has the news about Cam Mooney signing on as an occasional mentor to our key position players.

A short interview with him is here: Mooney: I was extremely impressed

Interestingly, the guy he was most enthusiastic about was Callum Brown.

It would be great for us if he could be one player to take that next step forward this year. I thought he improved significantly last year, but if he could add some more scoring power (and arguably he was better than a goal a game in 2023), then his versatility (can play forward, or back; mid-sized tall or smaller), speed and leap could be a huge factor in our favour.

Feel this is very harsh on Angwin. He played a very important role in that run last year.
His 2 way running saw him with lots of important moments.

I really like Cumming and think he is definitely a top 22 player, but feel that is in the back 6.

Something Id like to see is Whitfield on the wing with Cumming back. I like to see Whitfield and Finn sending the ball inside 50 more than any other players. Also I think they'd run the pants off whoever was on them.
I feel Cumming defends better than Whitfield as well. Disadvantage is we lose some run from the back.
But Angwin has to be able to impact games offensively and he's barely getting his hands on it and when he does he's not damaging with it, it's not 2 way running if he's not affecting the game both ways and he's not impacting games offensively and I don't think his defensive value is so great that it warrants him playing.

Another thread has the news about Cam Mooney signing on as an occasional mentor to our key position players.

A short interview with him is here: Mooney: I was extremely impressed

Interestingly, the guy he was most enthusiastic about was Callum Brown.

It would be great for us if he could be one player to take that next step forward this year. I thought he improved significantly last year, but if he could add some more scoring power (and arguably he was better than a goal a game in 2023), then his versatility (can play forward, or back; mid-sized tall or smaller), speed and leap could be a huge factor in our favour.
Brown still has so much room to improve this year …. Can’t wait to see him fulfill his potential

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But Angwin has to be able to impact games offensively and he's barely getting his hands on it and when he does he's not damaging with it, it's not 2 way running if he's not affecting the game both ways and he's not impacting games offensively and I don't think his defensive value is so great that it warrants him playing.
There was a game where Angwin had a set shot from a wideish angle… he looked so uncomfortable from the moment he marked it. Turned out to be one of the worst set shot kicks I’ve ever seen. Compare that to Cumming who can slot them from outside 50.

Last edited:
There was a game where Angwin had a set shot from a widows angle… he looked so uncomfortable from the moment he marked it. Turned out to be one of the worst set shot kicks I’ve ever seen. Compare that to Cumming who can slot them from outside 50.
Cumming wasn't great on the wing, didn't find it a whole lot but found ways to contribute. Tackled really well in a few games, was able to sneak forward and kick goals, his kicking gives us something to work with when he does get it because we know he can put it into tight windows around the ground.

Hey guys wishing you all the best in 24

What’s your thoughts on Darcy Jones/Phoenix Gothard playing round 1?

Both seem to be highly rated internally just wanted your thoughts cheers 👍
Heya mate, I doubt either of them will play round 1 at this stage but it would only take 1 injury for that to change.
Greene, Daniels, Bedford and Brown will likely be the small/midsize forward mix.
Waiting in the wings are McMullin, Jones and Gothard. My GUESS would be that Jones would be the most likely to come in, he was talked highly of last season before the injury as has had a year to put some(not much) size on.

dont think either play round 1, suspect both to play this year and one or both may finish top 22

Both probably get some run at some point, Jones might see some time a little bit higher up the ground as well as up forward. Expecting either to be real contributors this season is probably asking a lot like all first year players

An analysis of backup ruck options in AFL clubs. No surprises for us, but if Briggs is injured, we mainly have misfortune prone Preuss, Madden who has never played a game so far, and an experienced yet older Keeffe.

gws-giants.jpg

If Kieren Briggs wasn't the most improved player in the AFL last year, the ruckman was in the conversation. The 24-year-old rose from nowhere to emerge as one of the premier ruckmen in the game across the second half of last winter. That remarkable emergence forced Matt Flynn to move clubs when he didn't want to, heading to West Coast in search of greater opportunity. Braydon Preuss' stop-start career at Greater Western Sydney continued in 2023 – he has played 10 games, all in 2022, across three seasons – with the monster ruckman limited to just a couple of practice matches due to back surgery. The Giants have Nick Maddendeveloping, but Preuss will provide the senior coverage as long as he can get his body right. Lachie Keeffe re-signed at the end of the trade period after Adelaide opted not to allow Elliott Himmelberg to move to the Giants.

Last edited:
An analysis of backup ruck options in AFL clubs. No surprises for us, but if Briggs is injured, we mainly have misfortune prone Preuss, Madden who has never played a game so far, and an experienced yet older Keeffe.

gws-giants.jpg

If Kieren Briggs wasn't the most improved player in the AFL last year, the ruckman was in the conversation. The 24-year-old rose from nowhere to emerge as one of the premier ruckmen in the game across the second half of last winter. That remarkable emergence forced Matt Flynn to move clubs when he didn't want to, heading to West Coast in search of greater opportunity. Braydon Preuss' stop-start career at Greater Western Sydney continued in 2023 – he has played 10 games, all in 2022, across three seasons – with the monster ruckman limited to just a couple of practice matches due to back surgery. The Giants have Nick Maddendeveloping, but Preuss will provide the senior coverage as long as he can get his body right. Lachie Keeffe re-signed at the end of the trade period after Adelaide opted not to allow Elliott Himmelberg to move to the Giants.

Train Leek up. He's got the vertical leap for it.
I'm semi joking....but he'd be good as a back up Keefe style

Remove this Banner Ad

Back