Prediction 2023 GWS Giants - Predicted best 22, breakout player(s), general player/team discussion & questions

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm starting to be very interested in what/who people think we should be looking at with Richmond's draft pick. We will have a very handy draft hand but position wise what would you target? Our backline is young and pretty good. Is it time to look at another midfielder or a forward?
Ward/Cogs/Kelly going well but love to develop some depth there.
With Derksen, Gruz and Cadman all coming up together maybe we look at another option there?

I'm starting to be very interested in what/who people think we should be looking at with Richmond's draft pick. We will have a very handy draft hand but position wise what would you target? Our backline is young and pretty good. Is it time to look at another midfielder or a forward?
With Derksen, Gruz and Cadman all coming up together maybe we look at another option there?
Good question …. Surely we take the best tall forward option going and another quality mid with pace …. Need to develop these areas going forward

Good question …. Surely we take the best tall forward option going and another quality mid with pace …. Need to develop these areas going forward
I reckon with Snooze, Daniels, McCullin and Darcy Jones we should have enough zip.
Maybe that mid sized forward is more an area....a Toby Greene apprentice that can take Lloyds role. I'd hoped that would end up being Stone but if there is Duursma or something like that available I'd be going there. A livewire game winner. I'd be happy with Watson if he slides. I'm reluctant to take a tall defender with Leek coming through as well as Haynes still JUST in the team

I reckon with Snooze, Daniels, McCullin and Darcy Jones we should have enough zip.
Maybe that mid sized forward is more an area....a Toby Greene apprentice that can take Lloyds role. I'd hoped that would end up being Stone but if there is Duursma or something like that available I'd be going there. A livewire game winner. I'd be happy with Watson if he slides. I'm reluctant to take a tall defender with Leek coming through as well as Haynes still JUST in the team
If we keep Ricca (unlikely perhaps) or not, despite the other young talls up front, I’d like us to go for a power forward to eventually replace Jesse

I would like to package our picks up and take McKercher

As usual, I'm not so keen on packaging picks up for an early dip ... but the pickings after around #9 or 10 are a bit slim in my opinion, and really not so much to our needs so, I could stomach it. I'd also opine that using our own pick plus something from next year to have a dip at Gold Coast's pick (possibly as low as #4 initially) would be something I'd be prepared to do this year.

I do think that our small/medium forwards are in good shape: next year should be Greene, Bedford, Daniels, Brown, Jones with McMullin, Peatling, Lloyd and Stone as backups. There's also O'Halloran who's nominally a mid, but playing best when running into the F50. That's enough in that role IMHO. But if the Wizard is available at our pick, I can see us taking a punt on his raw talent. What we do need to do is run some of those guys through the midfield.

Midfield is where we are short of enough guys IMHO. I did say last year that I thought losing both Taranto and Hopper was one mid too many. In some ways it was - when we lost a couple of guys after the first Adelaide game, and when Tom Green was out for 3 games we hurt - but the truth is that probably neither TT nor Hopper were the right type of midfielder for us. I would love us to grab McKercher - the guy has speed and zip, and good game awareness - but I think he'll be gone by our pick. Would I trade two early picks to get him? Well, on talent, yes. But the risk is the new Tasmanian team, so that's on teh recruiting team to work out whether he'd stay. I'd also be happy to take Ryley Sanders, if VFL House doesn't gift him to Norths. He's not as quick as we'd like, I'm sure, but he also has great game sense, and grabs a lot of clearances - which is our weakness at time. If we want to improve and win a flag, that's where I'd opine we need to add quality. The problem is there's not much in terms of quality mids behind those two.

There's limited tall forwards high in this draft. There are a couple of quality tall defenders. I still like Connor O'Sullivan. As a NSW lad, he showed his quality in the Championships as well as the CTL and as a long-term development player, I'd like to grab him. Incidentally, he has played forward, so if we're still concerned about our forwards, we could also try him there. The other defender who looks pretty good is Ollie Murphy, a 200cm KPD who probably goes in the #10 to 15 region. If Davis retires, then Keeffe also either this year or next (and AK has been using him forward, not back), probably Haynes after next year (if not traded out this year), then our backup KPDs would be slim. So I'd definitely be interested in getting a draftee of quality to start developing.

In summary: McKercher or Sanders plus O'Sullivan would be my dream draft from early picks; and I'd be willing to do some trading around next year's picks to make that happen.

Should we be expecting a formal announcement of Phil Davis’s retirement before our home match against Essendon? Would be good to appropriately farewell an inaugural Giant (and co-captain) at our home game rather than at Marvel the week after

Should we be expecting a formal announcement of Phil Davis’s retirement before our home match against Essendon? Would be good to appropriately farewell an inaugural Giant (and co-captain) at our home game rather than at Marvel the week after
You'd think so.
If he does intend to retire (which we all assume is a given)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Congrats to Tom Green- he made the under 22 squad! Unfortunately whilst Callaghan and Ash made the shortlist, they did not make the final squad. Great achievement by Tom and well deserved

The players who have kicked the highest % of a club’s goals during the home and away season. Toby (who else?) not only leads our club, but is also the fifth highest in the AFL for the individual goal %

GWS GIANTS club banner

Total goals: 294
Toby Greene (60) - 20.4%
Jesse Hogan (42) - 14.2%
Jake Riccardi (30) - 10.2%
Brent Daniels (24) - 8.1%
Callum Brown (16) - 5.4%

3 of this weeks 7 observations by Kane Cornes relate to GWS:

2. It’s a great achievement for GWS to rebuild after losing so many key players

“In 2019 GWS beat Collingwood in a Preliminary Final with these players: Jeremy Cameron, Aidan Corr, Jeremy Finlayson, Bobby Hill, Jacob Hopper, Tim Taranto, Adam Tomlinson and Zac Williams.”

“All of them obviously play for other teams now. That was four seasons ago. It's a pretty good job and a great achievement to rebuild to the point where they are now back into contention with the amount of talent that has walked out of that side.”

3. There’s not many better stories than Toby Greene

“I know he gets spoken about a lot and everyone now loves him after disliking him for so long, but there's not many better stories than Toby Greene. If you actually look at what he's done. Only last season he missed the first five games of the home and away season after the AFL appealed his suspension for touching an umpire. He was getting smashed. The criticism coming his way - it was last season. A season later, he's in the conversation as the best player and best leader in the game. Credit to the Giants because they saw something that others didn't. It’s just a brilliant story and another strong decision by Adam Kingsley to make him a sole captain.”

4. Did anyone have a better 2022 off-season than Jason McCartney?

“Did any list manager have a better trade period than Jason McCartney at the Giants last year? He cleared out massive room in their salary cap with Hopper and Taranto gone. He turned them into picks 6, 12, 19 and 31 while getting Toby Bedford from Melbourne for the bargain price of pick 44. He (Bedford) has been a star and that's allowed other young players to get opportunities. In the midfield, they haven't been hurt by losing Hopper and Toronto and they're in a really good position this year with pick six. They've got (Aaron) Cadman the number one pick who we think is going to get there at some point. Well done to Jason McCartney at the Giants.”

GWS Giants

MVP: Sam Taylor, Stephen Coniglio, Toby Greene

Best First-Year Player: Aaron Cadman

Best Captain: Toby Greene

Most Courageous Player: Jack Buckley
Hmmm would had Ward in the courageous player award nominations.

Congrats to those nominees.

Hmmm would had Ward in the courageous player award nominations.

Congrats to those nominees.
he has been nominated enough, everyone knows how courageous Ward is, Im all for recognising Buckley

Tom Green- his season stats showing what a great player he is. Only a matter of time before he too gets an All Australian selection - but as a team he player is focused on delivering a premiership for his team mates

Green is the No.1-ranked player in the competition for disposals and contested possessions per game this season and ninth for score involvements.

ESPN’s Rohan Connolly says that Brent Daniels will be the x-factor player for the fi als.

Brent Daniels (GWS)

The hard-working Giants' small forward didn't play a single game last year because of foot then hamstring issues, and after 62 games was threatening to be remembered only for one act, the checkside snap which gave GWS a last-second finals win over Brisbane in 2019. But Daniels' renaissance has been stunning, and a big factor in the Giants' consistent competitiveness in 2023. Daniels is the AFL's third-highest rated general forward this season using AFL player rating points, and the only one of his type to rate elite for both forward half pressure and score involvements. Daniels has provided that menacing 'hunter' type mentality which helped GWS turn around its ordinary start to the season after the Giants were 15th as late as Round 12.

ESPN’s Rohan Connolly says that Brent Daniels will be the x-factor player for the fi als.

Brent Daniels (GWS)

The hard-working Giants' small forward didn't play a single game last year because of foot then hamstring issues, and after 62 games was threatening to be remembered only for one act, the checkside snap which gave GWS a last-second finals win over Brisbane in 2019. But Daniels' renaissance has been stunning, and a big factor in the Giants' consistent competitiveness in 2023. Daniels is the AFL's third-highest rated general forward this season using AFL player rating points, and the only one of his type to rate elite for both forward half pressure and score involvements. Daniels has provided that menacing 'hunter' type mentality which helped GWS turn around its ordinary start to the season after the Giants were 15th as late as Round 12.

Awesome to see Daniels getti g the recognition he deserves. An abolsute jet, we missed him badly last season.
Daniels and Snooze are in our top 5 most important players.
Reckon Daniels will be playing more midfield minutes over the coming seasons, he carved up the blues last week a number of times. Provides that elite speed that some of our mids lack.
Darcey Jones to add what these guys do to our pressure when he co was in next season!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Brent Daniels (GWS)

About time he is getting the credit he deserves

4 out of the 15 are from GWS ... not a bad rate out of 4 winning teams & 8 teams total. And even though Rowan Marshall was included from St Kilda, I though Keiren Briggs pretty much broke even with him.

1 - Hugh McCluggage (BRI) (A+): Did the damage by foot. Clearly the best player on the ground, alongside Cam Rayner, when the game was on the line.

2 - Josh Kelly (GWS) (A+): Had 19 disposals and two goals in the first half when the game was on the line. Enough said.

3 - Joe Daniher (BRI) (A+): Took his opportunities, booted five, looked dangerous all game. A special performance to produce a near season-best performance on such a big stage.

4 - Cam Rayner (BRI) (A+): The former number one draft pick was the difference maker with three goals. Kane Cornes labelled his performance as “Leigh Matthews-like”.

5 - Max Gawn (MEL) (A+): The inspirational skipper was mighty despite the result. Had more disposals than every Collingwood midfielder and won more contested footy than any other player on the MCG.

6 - Blake Acres (CAR) (A+): Carlton’s best player on Friday night. His fingertips saved the Blues on two occasions and he was critical around the ground as well. Kicked the sealer.

7 - Tom Green (GWS) (A+): A typical Tom Green performance, the young Giant had the ball on a string. Team highs in disposals and contested possessions and he also had an impact forward of centre with eight inside 50s and two goal assists.

8 - Errol Gulden (SYD) (A+): Kicked two massive goals. Had 20 kicks and used the ball nicely. Was the catalyst in the final term. His team’s best.

9 - Bobby Hill (COL) (A): One of his side’s best on a night where his class shone out. Kicked three goals in a low-scoring affair and buzzed around the ball all night.

10 - Isaac Quaynor (COL) (A): Makes this Collingwood side tick. Another sublime performance with a courageous game-saving mark. Had a huge impact.

11 - Lachie Whitfield (GWS) (A): Ran harder than anyone on the MCG and was often rewarded as the Giants’ link-up player in their transition.

12 - Rowan Marshall (STK) (A): Got the better of Kieren Briggs around the ground and was St Kilda’s best. Couldn’t have done any more against a quality opponent.

13 - Matthew Cottrell (CAR) (A): A great first term and he kicked on across the four quarters. He genuinely influenced the result and no doubt one of his best AFL performances.

14 - Sam Walsh (CAR) (A): The most disposals on the ground, Walsh ran as hard as anyone on the MCG. Work rate was enormous.

15 - Lachie Ash (GWS) (A): Ash flew under the radar but the hard-running Giant was brilliant in carving up St Kilda through the middle. 31 touches and nine marks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back