Preview 2023 Prelim Final - Collingwood vs GWS Giants, Friday 22 September, 7.50pm, MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

There's quite a history now of teams who won the qualifying final losing the prelim after the introduction of the pre-finals bye - playing just one game in almost a month could be having an impact. So I'm not convinced that's actually a positive for them.
There’s a lot to be said for momentum going into these big games

Briggs has been cleared to play on Friday.

The GIANTS will head into Friday night’s blockbuster preliminary final against Collingwood with a clean bill of health.

Vice-captain Stephen Coniglio made a successful return from an eye injury in last week’s semi-final win over the Power, collecting 30 disposals and two goals.

Ruck Kieren Briggs came off in the third quarter of Saturday’s game to have his shoulder assessed but returned to play out the game and has been cleared to take his place in Friday night’s preliminary final.

I’d say Briggsy will go in for surgery in the offseason. Nothing unusual. Will definitely need a jab to play. Hopefully he retains his strength as against Cameron it will be a weapon.

I’d say Briggsy will go in for surgery in the offseason. Nothing unusual. Will definitely need a jab to play. Hopefully he retains his strength as against Cameron it will be a weapon.
Good sign that he's been cleared so early in the week? If it was anything really serious that might impact he'd have the "test" tag the whole week and might have to do some test to ensure he's good to go. After the game Kingsley seemed to think it's not going to have a big impact on how he'll go.

ESPN’s four key issues that will determine the outcome of our PF game. I do agree with the issue relating to the disparity in rest time, but am sure Kingsley and the team will overcome this - just like they overcame other obstacles this year

The reality is GWS will have to front up to the MCG after a six-day break, but that doesn't tell the full story. The Giants would have only returned back home on Sunday afternoon following their semifinal win over the Power at Adelaide Oval, and will travel to Melbourne on Thursday for the preliminary final. It's a tight turnaround.

Meanwhile, heading into this game the Magpies will have played once in 27 days. Since 2010, there have been 12 instances of a team playing a final off a six-day break against an opponent with at least seven days of rest. The team backing up after six days has won just 33% of those.

They Magpies are guaranteed to be fresh and rested and should the game be tight heading into the final term, it might be this factor which proves telling.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ESPN’s four key issues that will determine the outcome of our PF game. I do agree with the issue relating to the disparity in rest time, but am sure Kingsley and the team will overcome this - just like they overcame other obstacles this year

The reality is GWS will have to front up to the MCG after a six-day break, but that doesn't tell the full story. The Giants would have only returned back home on Sunday afternoon following their semifinal win over the Power at Adelaide Oval, and will travel to Melbourne on Thursday for the preliminary final. It's a tight turnaround.

Meanwhile, heading into this game the Magpies will have played once in 27 days. Since 2010, there have been 12 instances of a team playing a final off a six-day break against an opponent with at least seven days of rest. The team backing up after six days has won just 33% of those.

They Magpies are guaranteed to be fresh and rested and should the game be tight heading into the final term, it might be this factor which proves telling.

33% ? I'll take those odds 💪

Pretty straightforward for us. Fully fit team, no fear, plenty of confidence. Play the way we have been, bring plenty of pressure ... maybe just need to kick a little straighter, and we'll be right in the contest. We only need a little luck to turn that into a win.

Pies fans think they'll romp it in ... as they did in 2019. Hopefully they have a rude shock in store ... as they got in 2019.

Pretty straightforward for us. Fully fit team, no fear, plenty of confidence. Play the way we have been, bring plenty of pressure ... maybe just need to kick a little straighter, and we'll be right in the contest. We only need a little luck to turn that into a win.

Pies fans think they'll romp it in ... as they did in 2019. Hopefully they have a rude shock in store ... as they got in 2019.
I don't think I've seen this team look unfit once this year. Running well ontop of the ground at the right time of year. The end of the Saints game maybe the only sure them tired...maybe due to the size of the ground and amount of running. It's gonna be an epic battle.

The boys were so pumped after that SF win ... hopefully they can tap that feeling and channel it for this Friday's game.

BTW, my wife spoke with Adam Kingsley before that game, and she was very impressed by him ... how he carried himself and spoke to her (and she's generally not easily impressed!)

I don't think I've seen this team look unfit once this year. Running well ontop of the ground at the right time of year. The end of the Saints game maybe the only sure them tired...maybe due to the size of the ground and amount of running. It's gonna be an epic battle.
I also this that was sustained above average pressure

If we hold the pressure gage that high (+190) we are bound to be tired

The only real issue going into this game is Briggs' fitness.
Apart from that our team is completely fit.
Pressure and Run is going to be paramount....but also taking opportunity.
In that port game we left a lot out there. We can not afford to do that against the Pies who's scoring was heavily restricted against Melbourne.
We may be coming off a few 6 days breaks but the Giants are fast, skilled and freakishly tough. It's a really strong midfield combination with Cogs, Kelly, Green and Ward all bringing different looks and paces.
Green bustled through contests with port mids hanging off him seemingly to no effect.
Cogs and Kelly had time and space and brought pressure and Ward played the tough gritty football he's synonymous with.
Callaghan, Ash and Whitfield are clean.

I think this game is going to be bloody tough for both sides but if I was an opposition coach looking for weaknesses to exploit in this Giants squad I'm not sure where I'd look?

You'd think our forward line is our weakest.
Yet Hogan and Riccardi are firing and Toby Greene is a looming spectre.
Then Daniels and Bedford are rated 1 & 4 for forward half pressure and both hit the scoreboard.
Brown and Keefe are playing roles but doing so extremely well in the system and have to be respected.

Tbh I don't see a lot of weaknesses at Collingwood either.

Re: this game.

I’m very nervous.

Just like I said last week. Our game plan and quality will give us a chance in every game we play from here on out. Very likely to be a close run affair.

Midfield battle will be key, as will keeping our heads in the first quarter.

Let’s go giants. Let’s smash ‘em.

You’ll be fine with a 3rd prio membership. We will get 10-20k allocation, very unlikely that we exhaust that with 1st and 2nd priority memberships.
I hope you're right, I have a 4 game membership as well, hope I get a ticket.

If not, Ill be going down anyway. I had such a good time last time we made it that I'd love to go down, watch the open training session and the parade, spend some time in Coopers in, do the march to the ground, if I dont have a ticket, Ill head back to the coopers and watch the game there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back