Game Day 2023 Prelim Final - Collingwood vs GWS Giants, Friday 22 September, 7.50pm, MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Many mistakes cost us.
Keefe burning Greene
Green burning about 3 forwards.
Some sloppy kicking in the first.

Some terrible intercept kicks coming out of our defensive 50 in the 3rd.

Just wasn’t our night.

Is it 2024 yet?
Yeah just a little more composure with ball in hand in the foreard 50 and we win that game. That and not being able to control Degooey at stoppages were big factors.

Still great season. Much better than most expected. Credit to the group.

Very raw and tough watch. Proud of Toby this year, he has taken on his captaincy duties with pride and embodied the Giants spirit. Sometimes it probably feels like the weight of the world is on his shoulders with the amount of negative attention he draws, but this year he has really started to shift the perception. Super proud of our captain.

It’s too raw for me to comment. As that one hurts more than I can explain….

So proud but hurting.

Yes I can’t wait for 2024, but we have a lot of aging stars too. We probably have one more shot.

I’m proud but gutted at that one

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
This is how I’m feeling.

PF’s are incredibly hard to make, and even harder to win. When you’re there you either take them, or you risk not having that opportunity again for a long time. Not for one discrediting the effort, was immense and I’m so proud. Overachieved my expectations. But like Toby said, when you’re so close it really hurts because you start to believe.

A lot of guys are at their peaks, and while there’s a lot of room for improvement from a lot, you have to strike while the squad is in that window.

Really stings.

Great game, great season (and great first AFL season for me)

1 point loss is not something I can be too down about.

I've read some absolutely mint posts from posters (from all clubs) in this thread, there's some in this thread from Pies fans - this is what I'm here for, I love my club but love the game more. The camaraderie and love for the game you find in AFL circles is second to none - I've thoroughly enjoyed it all.

Thank you all for making it memorable.

Bad luck, Big games come down to little moments and who can stay composed, theres plenty to like about this group and how they are developing. Your right in the window now, so expecting big things next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Went to the game and have to say what a remarkable performance by Connor Idun. I thought he was actually equally as good as DeGoey.

And Callaghan not far behind him. Another gun.

So unlucky guys absolutely gutted for you because it was there for the taking.

Some takeaways from.the game from your teams perspective:

Finn Callaghan has arrived. His last quarter was out of this world willed himself from.comtest to contest and just wouldn't get beat going to be a special player.

Jesse Hogan maybe had the best 1 goal game from a key forward you will see was inspirational with his contest and taps and knock one were superb take a bow big man.

Connor Idun is the most under appreciated player in the AFL. This guy was immense again gave Elliot and absolute bath and just doesn't lose contests keeps his feet and makes great decisions absolute star.

Kelly was amazing in the second half just about willed your boys over the line just didn't have enough guys riding shotgun in the last like they were in the 2nd and early parts of the 3rd.

Where I think the game was lost was the 2 goals that were conceded after you kicked the 1st goal of the 3rd qtr. The poor turnover by Ash that led to a Hill goal then Callum Brown not putting his body on the line and Markov doing the opposite turned the game. GWS were In control before these 2 costly mistakes.

And finally Adam Kingsley take a bow what a coach hopefully we see you guys perform at this level from the start of next year so a top 4 finish can get you to promised land.
Heads up you have a lot to be proud of and a lot to look forward to.

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

Genuine commiserations guys,

I went the early crow in about round 9-10 when you were bottom 4, that you were playing significantly better than your W/L record suggested, were a genuine chance to make the 8 and win a final if you did.

In the end you guys did the following:

• Beat a side who sat inside the 8 the entire season by 20+ away from home (admittedly MCG isn't St.Kildas ideal venue ofcourse, but you would have beaten them at marvel too)
  • Gone over to SA and knockoff port on their home deck by 20+
  • 6 day break, against the minor premier Infront of 97k, who ofcourse were mostly pies fans, only to fall agonisingly short in a game that clearly could have gone either way.

Felt a lot of similarities to our year last year and yours this year. (Including 1 point prelim losses)

Massive T Greene fan, obviously missed that 2019 match so this game would have meant that extra bit to him, if that footage on the rooms can't change the opinions of those who hate him, nothing will. Lot of respect for him and was a very, very deserving AA captain.

Congrats on the great year and while both 2019 and 2023 prelims haven't been the prettiest matches, they have been deadset thrillers. Let's hope prelim matchup #3 happens sooner rather than later (or better yet, up the stakes to a granny so we can play for all the biscuits)

P.s. If Sidebottom wasn't at the goal line, that shot by Greene would have been up there as one of, if not the best finals goals of all time (based on seeing it at the game anyway)

Last edited:
It’s too raw for me to comment. As that one hurts more than I can explain….

So proud but hurting.

Yes I can’t wait for 2024, but we have a lot of aging stars too. We probably have one more shot.

I’m proud but gutted at that one

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
We don’t have many aging stars… we have young stars just emerging.
keep in mind this was the exact position the pies were in last year.
We are coming back red hot… the next few years are going to be awesome!

Genuinely unlucky to not win that tonight. Given the crowd, umps, 6 day break, I am pretty sure the best team did not win that game tonight.

Some hugely positive things though.

Josh Kelly, people are not talking enough about this bloke, now probably one of the top 10 or so players in the AFL. He has always been good but he looks a much better player now. Is 28 now so should have loads of good footy left in him.

Briggs physical presence is enormous, his inclusion in the team earlier this season seemed to herald a big change in your team's fortunes. I am a big fan.

Idun will derive enormous confidence from the way he finished that game. He has just turned 23 and could become a very valuable player.

Sam Taylor I have been watching VFL/AFL footy for 50 years, not sure there has been a better key defender than him, certainly not in a contest. 12 contested possessions is huge for a key position player in a big game like that. 5 score involvements is incredible for key defender. At 24yo he has the world at his feet. He looks like a nice person but plays a very tough and physical game. Tremendous player.

Tom Green is 22 and he is already imposing himself on class opposition in finals.

You have some other very nice players coming right into their own now who stood up really well tonight. Daniels 24, Buckley 25, Ash 22.

And then at least a couple of top class youngsters Callaghan and Cadman beneath them.

You do need to fix that second key forward position, Riccardi looked well out of his depth.

Really good team now. Whoever wins the flag this year won't be a better team than GWS. Certainly Collingwood aren't. I think along with Port Adelaide 2014, Giants 2016 this current Giants team appear to me the best 3 finals performers to miss a Grand Final this century. Tough one to swallow for GWS supporters.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back