List Mgmt. 2015 Draft , PSD & Rookie Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 30, 2011
Wollongong
AFL Club
GWS
After the trade period we now have 39 players on our list and for the 2016 season we can have between 42 - 46 players and most likely will bring in 4 local players bringing our list size up to 43.

With those 4 players most likely to come from this group:
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/tradin...mall-and-medium-forwards-20151008-gk48or.html

Jacob Hopper (6/02/1997. 186cm, 82kg. North Ballarat Rebels/GWS Academy)

Medium midfielder

AFL biography: Medium midfielder with an excellent work ethic who has the ability to win the footy both on the inside and outside. Shows excellent composure with the ball in hand, making smart decisions and executing well. A boarder at St Patrick's College in Ballarat, he is also a member of the GWS Giants Academy. He won the NSW/ACT MVP. Member of NAB AFL Academy. Averaged 26.7 disposals (16.3 contested), 6 inside 50s and 8.7 clearances a game during the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships winning All-Australian honours.

"Jacob's an inside player who can also go forward and kick some goals. He's very, very good when it comes to one on one contested footy, he rarely gets defeated in a contest and he hunts the ball really well. He's the ultimate professional and what I mean by that is that he does everything he possibly can to get the the best out of himself. His preparation and his mindset are probably the best I've seen come through the Rebels in my time. We always say that when we need someone to step up, he's the one who will step up every time with the crucial goal, the crucial clearance, the big tackle. He's a great young man who knows where he wants to get to in football and in life."

Phil Partington, North Ballarat talent manager

"He cracks in every time. We actually wanted him to start trying to get some easy ball, but he loves hurting himself and hurting other people and going in hard to get the footy. He's a determined SOB. There's not many people who would beat him if the footy's there in front of them."

Tadhg Kennelly, NSW-ACT Rams coach

Matthew Kennedy (6/04/1997. 187cm, 84kg. Collingullie-GP/GWS Academy)

Medium midfielder/forward

AFL biography: Medium forward/midfielder who is a prolific ball winner and strong overhead. Missed the national championships due to injury but was in outstanding form for the Rams in the TAC Cup competition, averaging 23 possessions in five matches. Member of GWS Academy.

"There's been a lot of talk about Matty. He's still very green, but he has an ability to play in the midfield, go in and get the ball then go forward and kick goals. He's almost the prototype midfielder right now: he has a big body, he's strong, he goes forward. He can take overhead marks and has a huge vertical jump so can sit on blokes' heads. He's pretty laconic, pretty relaxed. Nothing much fazes him and he just has huge upside."

Harrison Himmelberg (8/05/1996. 192cm, 84kg. Eastlake/GWS Academy)

Tall forward

AFL biography: Extremely mobile tall forward who relocated to Eastlake from the Riverina this year after an injury interrupted 2014. Presents very well with his repeat efforts and has good hands. Averaged 14 possessions, six marks and 1.7 goals at the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships. Member of GWS Academy.

"He's been a real surprise package. He's a 19-year-old, and had you asked me about him this time last year I would have said he wasn't recruitable. But he's just been Mr Consistent this year His parents moved to the Gold Coast so instead of going with him he said, I'm going to move to Canberra and do preseason with Eastlake and the Giants Academy and see where that gets me. And he flew out of the blocks, after that. He's the sort of leading centre half-forward who will lead and lead and lose his opponents with his speed and agility. He's really matured."

Matthew Flynn (13/09/1997. 200cm, 99kg. Nerrandera/GWS Academy)

Ruck

AFL biography: Developing ruckman who competes aggressively and is athletic. Agile and courageous, he can push forward and be dangerous as a marking forward. Excellent below the knees for a player of his size and shows real potential with his rucking craft at stoppages. Averaged 10.7 possessions and 23.3 hitouts at the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships. Member of GWS Academy.

"He's just a competitive beast. I first saw him playing under-16s and he was like a newborn foal back then, all arms and legs, head wobbling everywhere. His ruck work is second to none, he doesn't even really know what hand he is. He can take a contested mark and he's one of the best kids. He'd be the most competitive big man in the draft, by a long way. We talk about the big guys taking time, but he just wants to crash and bash."

Nick Coughlan (12/9/1996. 195cm, 83kg. Albury/Murray Bushrangers)

Tall Forward/defender

AFL biography: Tall forward or defender who reads the play well, is strong overhead and a penetrating kick. Impressed as a forward for NSW/ACT and the NAB AFL Academy, but switched to defence this year, playing well at VFL level with Footscray.

"Nick was a bit injury riddled last year. He played a bit of footy but had an ankle issue for a lot of the time and was disappointed not to get drafted but he responded really well. He got a good preseason in and because he'd finished school had a bit of flexibility: he went to uni in Melbourne and was able to experience a bit of the VFL program at Footscray. He got his confidence up early in the year playing as a key defender, and he had five or six games at VFL level where he did pretty well. He uses the ball well, he's a good size and he has plenty of scope for development."

Lee Fraser, Murray Bushrangers talent manager
Lachlan Tiziani (13/03/1997. 188cm, 80kg. Murray Bushrangers/GWS Academy)

Medium forward/defender/midfielder

AFL biography: Medium forward who can also play through the midfield or in defence. Quick, and has neat skills by hand and foot. Team oriented player with excellent work ethic. Has averaged 14 possessions, five marks and three tackles in 10 matches in the TAC Cup this year. He also represented NSW/ACT in the Under-18 Championships this year and the GWS Giants in the NEAFL.

"He comes from Broken Hill originally. He played for us as a bottom ager last year and has showed some real AFL qualities at times this year. He hasn't been as consistent as he would have liked, but the glimpses he's shown as a half-forward and a goalkicking wingman have been really good. He can run, he kicks the ball well and he's done some good jobs down back as well. He's shown he has all three zones of the footy field covered."

Lee Fraser, Murray Bushrangers talent manager

Jock Cornell (2/04/1997. 187cm, 82kg, Mangoplah/GWS Academy)

Medium forward

AFL biography: Resilient, adaptable and versatile medium forward who reads the game extremely well and applies good forward line pressure. Excellent kick at goal and was impressive for NSW/ACT in NAB AFL Under-18 Championships, averaging 13 possessions, three tackles and two goals per game.

"Jock is Mr Resilient. His father passed away in December and his resilience to continue on has been first class. He can go left and right, and he gets the ball inside and outside. He's very smart footballer and has a real football brain. His mum is a Daniher, so there's a connection there."

Likelihood is we take 1 onto main list and perhaps one or two more to the rookie list if they are not picked up by other clubs.
The club is clearly determined to maximise it's return from NSW this draft and next.
I would rate Flynn and Coughlin ahead of the other two based on a mix of talent and need.

Hopper and Kennedy are as close to locks as you can get. Himmelberg probably the likely third but the others I'm not too sure on. Maybe some of you who are more aware of how these propsects play could work out the likelihood of us taking, or attempting to, this draft.

Couglan played one game of NEAFL for us (on Adam Goodes no less - so he's got that to tell his grandkids) but also played a handful of VFL games for Footscray - Dogs may bid, wouldn't think more than a second rounder (more likely third) though so it depends on price and position as to whether we match or get there first. Was part of the very first academy intake, so there's history there.

Cornell - played 7 NEAFL games I think. Is a Daniher by any other name (4 brothers and a sister - he's the son of the sister) so Essendon may have a crack but again, not too early. Plays on a wing/forward. Looks to go alright.

Tiziani - played a few, kicked a bag at least once. Likes to run off half back. Impressed at the combine winning the running vertical leap ahead of all the ruckman, so expect him to go third man up at a lot of ruck contests. Probably not on anyone's radar apart from ours (until the combine) - should slip through - late selection, more likely a rookie lister. Like the way he goes about it. The only non-Riverina kid we're looking at (Broken Hill)

Flynn - really raw ruckman/CHB (and I mean really raw) ranked 7 or 8 in all the ruckman tests at the combine so most clubs looking for rucks may look at others first. If we get him, great, if not, well we have a lot of ruckman anyway.

All been in the academy since about the age of 13 or so and all have played NEAFL where we smacked most teams, so all can play a bit. Happy with any/all of them. Don't want anybody else.

A question for Dlanod, who seems to know about this stuff (but if anyone else knows, feel free to answer)

We have picks 10,34,43,53,58,63,64,65,70,95,102

Essendon bid on Hopper at 5 (1878) less 20%=1503
We have 10 (1395) leaving us 108 short.

Do we have to use the picks in order?

Our next pick after that is 34 (542) which is heaps more than we need.

Can we instead say - yep we'll match with picks 10 & 63 (giving us 4 points in the bag) or do we have to use 10&34 in order leaving us 434 in credit.

434 sits somewhere between picks 39&40 so do we move down to pick 40 as our next pick, or go to the back of the queue having our next pick at 43 like the list says and just have 434 points in a bank account somewhere (Caymann Islands perhaps) that we can wheel out when Kennedy's name is called out.

Also, our last points are at 70 (39), the picks at 95&102 are valueless. What happens if someone bids on one of ours at 72 (19) - with the 197 point discount that swings into effect for all picks after round 1, that means we only have to pay -178

Well 0 is worth more than -178 - can we bid pick 95 and get 178 points in the bag for next year? Or do we just miss out on the player completely?

I is so confuuused.

Last edited:
A question for Dlanod, who seems to know about this stuff (but if anyone else knows, feel free to answer)

We have picks 10,34,43,53,58,63,64,65,70,95,102

Essendon bid on Hopper at 5 (1878) less 20%=1503
We have 10 (1395) leaving us 108 short.

Do we have to use the picks in order?

Our next pick after that is 34 (542) which is heaps more than we need.

Can we instead say - yep we'll match with picks 10 & 63 (giving us 4 points in the bag) or do we have to use 10&34 in order leaving us 434 in credit.

434 sits somewhere between picks 39&40 so do we move down to pick 40 as our next pick, or go to the back of the queue having our next pick at 43 like the list says and just have 434 points in a bank account somewhere (Caymann Islands perhaps) that we can wheel out when Kennedy's name is called out.

Also, our last points are at 70 (39), the picks at 95&102 are valueless. What happens if someone bids on one of ours at 72 (19) - with the 197 point discount that swings into effect for all picks after round 1, that means we only have to pay -178

Well 0 is worth more than -178 - can we bid pick 95 and get 178 points in the bag for next year? Or do we just miss out on the player completely?

I is so confuuused.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/academy-bidding-faq.1113796/ will help more generally I feel, but I'll answer the specific questions. :)

We have to use the picks in order, so we have to use 10 & 34.

What happens to any excess points depends on what the nominating pick was. If it was in the first round, we save the points to pay off any deficit at the end of the night. If it wasn't in the first round, we get the points back as later picks. In this case we'd bank the points to pay off any deficit.

Any bid with a pick at 56 or later can just be matched by our last draft pick, even if that draft pick is not worth any points.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/academy-bidding-faq.1113796/ will help more generally I feel, but I'll answer the specific questions. :)

We have to use the picks in order, so we have to use 10 & 34.

What happens to any excess points depends on what the nominating pick was. If it was in the first round, we save the points to pay off any deficit at the end of the night. If it wasn't in the first round, we get the points back as later picks. In this case we'd bank the points to pay off any deficit.

Any bid with a pick at 56 or later can just be matched by our last draft pick, even if that draft pick is not worth any points.

Thanks for that.

Now when you say, points are banked and used at the end of the night to pay off debt, does that mean we definitely can't use them earlier? Just say Kennedy is bid on at pick 15 (still first round) - do we have to use up a heap of our remaining picks to bid on him, leaving us next to nothing for the other guys, or can we use the 434 at that point?

Seems a little stupid to have all these points available but not be able to use them.

Thanks for that.

Now when you say, points are banked and used at the end of the night to pay off debt, does that mean we definitely can't use them earlier? Just say Kennedy is bid on at pick 15 (still first round) - do we have to use up a heap of our remaining picks to bid on him, leaving us next to nothing for the other guys, or can we use the 434 at that point?

Seems a little stupid to have all these points available but not be able to use them.

It works out that same way in the end. I believe we have to use the remaining picks before we access the left over points. If Kennedy takes us to zero points, we can still match a bid on Himmelberg and the points will be taken off those banked ones. If the bid is more than the banked points, we can choose to go into deficit and the points will be taken off the corresponding 2016 pick. In general the points are not a restriction on the number of players that can be taken because of the ability to go into deficit the following year.

We have picks 10,34,43,53,55,58,63,64,65,70,95,102
Points are only allocated to 1-73
Essendon bid pick 5 on hopper 20% discount = 1502
So we use pick 10 1395 and 542 so we still have 434 points draft order updated we have pick 40 now but we still get 434 pts not 429 it's the closest to our pts
207 = 1257 which we use on Kennedy and his = 1240 so we get 17 pts updated draft we have got pick 73
Harrison himmleberg gets bid on at pick 35 we use 58,63,64,65,70, and pick 73 so equals 529 the bid so we have 7 points left.
And now we have hopper
Kennedy
Himmleberg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It works out that same way in the end. I believe we have to use the remaining picks before we access the left over points. If Kennedy takes us to zero points, we can still match a bid on Himmelberg and the points will be taken off those banked ones. If the bid is more than the banked points, we can choose to go into deficit and the points will be taken off the corresponding 2016 pick. In general the points are not a restriction on the number of players that can be taken because of the ability to go into deficit the following year.

Yeah, I'm not really worried about going into deficit, more just worried about having zero physical picks, but lots of points. We seem to have a lot of low value picks, nothing in the 20s and after we use 34 on our first pick, nothing in the 30s either. We have to match a pick in the teens for Kennedy and another in the 20s for Himmleberg - there's all our actual numbered picks gone, while we're sitting there with a bank of points, but no pick to attach them to for Coughlan or Flynn etc. Or no pick to read out a name of our own if someone slips through.

Yeah, I'm not really worried about going into deficit, more just worried about having zero physical picks, but lots of points. We seem to have a lot of low value picks, nothing in the 20s and after we use 34 on our first pick, nothing in the 30s either. We have to match a pick in the teens for Kennedy and another in the 20s for Himmleberg - there's all our actual numbered picks gone, while we're sitting there with a bank of points, but no pick to attach them to for Coughlan or Flynn etc. Or no pick to read out a name of our own if someone slips through.
For every player we pick we get, at a minimum, a pick back at the end of the draft that can still be used in the bidding press, even if they're worth no points. The restriction is the number of list spots we have.

Noticed a lot of himmelberg stuff being posted from the clubs social media page lately. Makes me think he will be a lock for us this draft.

Hardly a peep about coughlan, Cornell and Flynn.

Noticed a lot of himmelberg stuff being posted from the clubs social media page lately. Makes me think he will be a lock for us this draft.

We can lock in Hopper, Kennedy and Himmelberg. Couglan, Flynn, Cornell and Tiziani are potential pick ups. We might add two more if they are still available late.

Himmleberg is the only one I've seen two things from - the standard combine interview and taking on Brad Johnson in a series of challenges. Everyone else - Hopper, Kennedy, Cornell, Coughlan, Flynn and Tiziani - all have the same standard combine interview.

Have I missed something else?

Himmleberg is the only one I've seen two things from - the standard combine interview and taking on Brad Johnson in a series of challenges. Everyone else - Hopper, Kennedy, Cornell, Coughlan, Flynn and Tiziani - all have the same standard combine interview.

Just seen him plastered all over my Facebook feed

Don't think I've watched a more awkward 2 minutes than that since we were at uni meeting new attractive girls for the first time...

Interesting. Hartley went to Collingwood via the old NSW scholarship scheme, spent 2013 on their rookie list but was delisted after just one year.

CHB in the VFL team of the year this year, along with being the joint winner of Coburg's B&F.

Edit: he was set to join Essendon at the start of the year as one of their ring-ins for suspended players, but failed a medical.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back