List Mgmt. 2015 Draft. Rookie Draft on Friday

Remove this Banner Ad

Im worried he'll end up like a Josh Kennedy at both and Sydney.. And West Coast
Carlton and Hawthorn both had them.. Shifted them off and both lost out..
I know we dont HAVE Weitering.. But if we looked over him etc.

Dixon Lynch and Wright might battle for 10years to kick goals against Weitering..
Rather we have him then we play against him etc

Which is exactly why I choose him 1st for Cats out of that top 20, seems like we won't get near him but good luck to those who can and do..

Don't forget that we will have 2 picks in the 20-24 range. If we take a tall early as the best player available we can then look for runners and smaller players with the other two. It might be a weaker draft overall but there will be good players available in the early 20's. I suspect the club will be going hard after more rookie options as well.

It looks bad at the moment but add Saad, Swallow, Jaeger and Garlett to the team and our speed will be OK. It would help a lot if Harley turns it around since he has the speed but it uses it so well to make space.

I also don't see the point in stressing about taking another key position player, especially a key defender like Weitering or a 3rd tall like Francis. If Weitering or Francis is a much better overall player than Rory then our defense just got a lot better.

If your key position players can intercept mark, run with the ball and kick at an elite level, you are in great shape (see Weitering, Jacob). That is what the best defenders can do, which is why Rory will always be a negator style of player. Don't want him kicking it if you have a choice.

If Rory and Sam Day can't get a game it means we are a better team. If Dixon re-signs and 2MP can't get a game even thought he keeps improving, we are a better team. If Dixon leaves, then the 2MP pick will look smart. I vote for better.

OK, for those interested in what our needs are (when it comes to drafting), I have sorted each player on our current list by their main positions without going to too much detail. I've also given my opinion on each position.

KEY DEFENDERS: Will probably need at least 1 more.
Rory Thompson
Steven May
Jack Leslie
Henry Schade

MEDIUM DEFENDERS: Not that important of a position given how our backline is structured, so we'll just leave this one.
Trent McKenzie
Seb Tape
Clay Cameron

SMALL DEFENDERS: Same as medium defenders.
Adam Saad
Greg Broughton
Sean Lemmens

HALF BACKS/WINGERS: Not a need but would be nice to get 1 more within the next 1-2 years
Jarrod Harbrow
Nick Malceski
Kade Kolodjashnij
Matt Shaw
Jared Ellis

RUCKMAN: Might need 1 more if Gorringe leaves. But this isn't the year to be picking rucks in my opinion
Tom Nicholls
Zac Smith
Daniel Gorringe

ONBALLERS: We need more, especially on the younger end. Scheer and Marsden in next year's draft should be helpful.
Gary Ablett
David Swallow
Dion Prestia
Michael Rischitelli
Jaeger O'Meara
Mitch Hallahan
Jesse Lonergan

DEFENSIVE MIDFIELDERS: Don't really need more than 2.
Danny Stanley
Andrew Raines

HALF FORWARD/WINGERS: Don't need any more right now given how are forwardline is structured.
Harley Bennell
Jack Martin
Andrew Boston
Alex Sexton
Tyrone Downie

SMALL FORWARDS: Have too much if anything.
Brandon Matera
Aaron Hall
Touk Miller
Jarrod Garlett
Josh Glenn

MEDIUM FORWARDS: Not a need given our forward structure.
Luke Russell
Louis Hebert

KEY FORWARDS: Need at least 1 more.
Tom Lynch
Sam Day

KEY FORWARD/RUCKMAN: Not a need.
Charlie Dixon
Keegan Brooksby
Peter Wright
Josh Hall

Ok, so the thing we need first and foremost is more onballers. Next would be 1 more key defender and key forward. Everything else isn't that important as of at the moment.

This is what I suggest we do in the draft
Round 1 - Best player available regardless of position. The depth of this draft thins out quickly and it would be wise just to pick the best with our earliest pick. Ideally this would be a key defender/forward.
Round 2 - Needs based player. Ideally this would be an onballer.
Later Rounds - Best academy player available which is Dyson Budarick by far.
Rookie Promotion - Adam Saad will most likely be promoted to the senior list.
Rookie draft - Mature-aged key defender and/or mature-aged onballer.

Another 200cm forward.. Your dreaming.

To many small forwards..??

Materas done nothing for years..
Halls way to inconsistent.. And
Josh Glenn is a halfback/ wing type
That leaves us with our 2 draftees from last year
Miller who is a midfielder
And Garlett whose played 3 games..

Oh yeah.. I guess you right. Can't see any need for small forwards :/

I didn't say we specifically needed another 200cm key forward. We need another young key forward. Remember Lynch & Day were drafted in 2010. We need another young developing key forward who will be 5 years younger than them. This is the draft I'm talking about, not a trade. Every club has at least 2 developing key forwards. When guys like Dixon and Brooksby are gone in about 6 years or so we will need guys like Wright and 1 other take their place (1 in the best 22 and 1 as depth). And given our draft position this year and this year's draft having strong key-position players now is as good a time to get one. When it come to drafting it's about the future, not the present. Key position players take a long time to develop so it's better to get them early before you actually need them.

I know there have been a lot of Matera bashers this year but look at the first half of last year when he kicked 22 goals in 11 games, before he got injured. Prior to 2014 he was very injury riddled. I know he can do better defensively, but truth is he has had a lot injuries and with the exception of last year (and maybe the year before) we never really got that many inside 50s. Judge him when he has a decent run and we have a decent midfield on the park.

Aaron Hall is inconsistent but it's hard to be consistent as a small forward. He is still 6th on the suns all-time goalkicking records. He will stay here for at least another year or 2.

I admit I don't know much about Glenn, but from I've seen he does seem to spend a decent portion of the game up forward. After some quick research i'd now say he's a utility who mainly plays onball.

Miller was drafted as a onballer, but most a lot of midfielders start in the forward line and their midfield time gradually increases each year. Eade labelled him as a forward. I think he will spend more time forward for the next 2-3 years before I can say he more's a midfielder.

I think Garlett will spend the majority of his career deep forward.

I didn't say we specifically needed another 200cm key forward. We need another young key forward. Remember Lynch & Day were drafted in 2010. We need another young developing key forward who will be 5 years younger than them. This is the draft I'm talking about, not a trade. Every club has at least 2 developing key forwards. When guys like Dixon and Brooksby are gone in about 6 years or so we will need guys like Wright and 1 other take their place (1 in the best 22 and 1 as depth). And given our draft position this year and this year's draft having strong key-position players now is as good a time to get one. When it come to drafting it's about the future, not the present. Key position players take a long time to develop so it's better to get them early before you actually need them.

I know there have been a lot of Matera bashers this year but look at the first half of last year when he kicked 22 goals in 11 games, before he got injured. Prior to 2014 he was very injury riddled. I know he can do better defensively, but truth is he has had a lot injuries and with the exception of last year (and maybe the year before) we never really got that many inside 50s. Judge him when he has a decent run and we have a decent midfield on the park.

Aaron Hall is inconsistent but it's hard to be consistent as a small forward. He is still 6th on the suns all-time goalkicking records. He will stay here for at least another year or 2.

I admit I don't know much about Glenn, but from I've seen he does seem to spend a decent portion of the game up forward. After some quick research i'd now say he's a utility who mainly plays onball.

Miller was drafted as a onballer, but most a lot of midfielders start in the forward line and their midfield time gradually increases each year. Eade labelled him as a forward. I think he will spend more time forward for the next 2-3 years before I can say he more's a midfielder.

I think Garlett will spend the majority of his career deep forward.

You either need to change your team from Collingwood to Gold Coast or stop referring to Gold Coast as 'we' - it is a bit confusing.

Also you may need to do a bit more research on a few of the players as the positions that you categorise them seem to be a bit off (Glenn, Dixon, Day)

You either need to change your team from Collingwood to Gold Coast or stop referring to Gold Coast as 'we' - it is a bit confusing.

Also you may need to do a bit more research on a few of the players as the positions that you categorise them seem to be a bit off (Glenn, Dixon, Day)

0B11 you going to see Simmons play next month when he visits

GC plays Wce next week
Brisbane plays Geelong
And Carlton plays North..

Another 2 losses coming for the northern clubs
Carlton should stay 1 game up on us
The Lions v Carlton game in a fortnight is massive in the scheme of things. Carlton win that and Weitering can pack the sunscreen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

0B11 you going to see Simmons play next month when he visits

No doubt - was going out to the State Basketball Centre to see LSU but just found out that they have changed things up and there will be a 'free' game at Hisense arena against Melbourne United.

http://pickandroll.com.au/lsu-melbourne-united-free/

He is going to be the most exciting Australian sports person going around within 2 years, and better yet he seems like a good aussie kid unlike those tennis flogs.

OK, for those interested in what our needs are (when it comes to drafting), I have sorted each player on our current list by their main positions without going to too much detail. I've also given my opinion on each position.

KEY DEFENDERS: Will probably need at least 1 more.
Rory Thompson
Steven May
Jack Leslie
Henry Schade

MEDIUM DEFENDERS: Not that important of a position given how our backline is structured, so we'll just leave this one.
Trent McKenzie
Seb Tape
Clay Cameron

SMALL DEFENDERS: Same as medium defenders.
Adam Saad
Greg Broughton
Sean Lemmens

HALF BACKS/WINGERS: Not a need but would be nice to get 1 more within the next 1-2 years
Jarrod Harbrow
Nick Malceski
Kade Kolodjashnij
Matt Shaw
Jared Ellis

RUCKMAN: Might need 1 more if Gorringe leaves. But this isn't the year to be picking rucks in my opinion
Tom Nicholls
Zac Smith
Daniel Gorringe

ONBALLERS: We need more, especially on the younger end. Scheer and Marsden in next year's draft should be helpful.
Gary Ablett
David Swallow
Dion Prestia
Michael Rischitelli
Jaeger O'Meara
Mitch Hallahan
Jesse Lonergan

DEFENSIVE MIDFIELDERS: Don't really need more than 2.
Danny Stanley
Andrew Raines

HALF FORWARD/WINGERS: Don't need any more right now given how are forwardline is structured.
Harley Bennell
Jack Martin
Andrew Boston
Alex Sexton
Tyrone Downie

SMALL FORWARDS: Have too much if anything.
Brandon Matera
Aaron Hall
Touk Miller
Jarrod Garlett
Josh Glenn

MEDIUM FORWARDS: Not a need given our forward structure.
Luke Russell
Louis Hebert

KEY FORWARDS: Need at least 1 more.
Tom Lynch
Sam Day

KEY FORWARD/RUCKMAN: Not a need.
Charlie Dixon
Keegan Brooksby
Peter Wright
Josh Hall

Ok, so the thing we need first and foremost is more onballers. Next would be 1 more key defender and key forward. Everything else isn't that important as of at the moment.

This is what I suggest we do in the draft
Round 1 - Best player available regardless of position. The depth of this draft thins out quickly and it would be wise just to pick the best with our earliest pick. Ideally this would be a key defender/forward.
Round 2 - Needs based player. Ideally this would be an onballer.
Later Rounds - Best academy player available which is Dyson Budarick by far.
Rookie Promotion - Adam Saad will most likely be promoted to the senior list.
Rookie draft - Mature-aged key defender and/or mature-aged onballer.
Think you have pigeon holed a lot of guys here - where is the idea of overall team flexability .For example Brooksby can play forward /ruck , Day CHB /CHF, Glenn - Mid Field /Half back utility , Gorringe - Ruck /Wing /forward (only joking) - but you get my point. Nowadays players have to be multi dimensional and those that aren't are the one's that perish. In terms of list management - you should take best available with first pick - that may be Clayton's choice - but I'm prepared to back him after his last draft performance.......

Truth be told. I think you let us worry about the Suns..
And put more effort into your own team Collingwood and there forward line problems.

Think you have pigeon holed a lot of guys here - where is the idea of overall team flexability .For example Brooksby can play forward /ruck , Day CHB /CHF, Glenn - Mid Field /Half back utility , Gorringe - Ruck /Wing /forward (only joking) - but you get my point. Nowadays players have to be multi dimensional and those that aren't are the one's that perish. In terms of list management - you should take best available with first pick - that may be Clayton's choice - but I'm prepared to back him after his last draft performance.......

First of all, I support both clubs. I have followed the suns since their TAC Cup year into the VFL (I attended whenever they played in melbourne) and into the AFL. I am a member of both clubs. If I were to ever to move Queensland I would fully make the change. As for the reason it's not listed on my profile, is because I can't be bothered. Trust me, there are quite a few people who follow the expansion clubs as their 2nd team. So I can refer to them as we if I want. And pies forward line is fine (well with the exception of White), but let's not make this conversation about them.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand (and let's keep it that way please), if you read what I wrote I stated main position without going into too much detail. It would've been too much mess if I listed every postion of every player. I could've gone into much more detail such as Trent McKenzie: 3rd tall defender/loose defender/winger, Rory Thompson: centre half back/ruckman/centre half forward, Greg Broughton: small lockdown defender/onballer, Danny Stanley: run-with midfielder/onballer/medium defender/medium forward, Luke Russell: medium forward/onballer (drafted in that position). I pretty much know that most players these days play multiple positions, but I listed their main positions just to keep it simple.

I know Day can play down back, but he hasn't played a significant amount of it. Dixon has always for the most part played back-up ruckman. He's even played a couple of games as main ruck. I already admitted I was wrong about Glenn, but I have limited access to SANFL and NEAFL football, so please excuse my ignorance when it comes to 1st year players specifically. But that list wasn't the main point of the comment, as it was more so about the last paragraph. And I personally think I made some fair points about what should happen in the draft.

So please, people next time you read my comments focus on the main point, rather than focus on other clubs I barrack for, and nitpicking how I do things (such as how I categorize players by position). This is just my opinion after all, and I am trying to generate discussion, so let's not make a big deal of things that are irrelevant.

Realistically i think first pick goes to best available.

And 2nd and 3rd go to high production ball getters who have attacking instincts and goal sence..
Play them in the forward pocket then run them through the middle when needed.. <-- similar to whats happening with Touk i spose.. But Touk wasnt really known for smashing out high numbers.

If we could get Ryan Burton id love that.. A really good med forward aka. Jack gunston type.

Our ruck looks bad now.. But when you have dion ablett o'meara martin and swallow all in getting all the clearences.. You wont even relise our ruck is a dud.

I don't think we should have anymore than 2 live draft picks this year. The depth of the draft thins out very quickly, so in my opinion I wouldn't wanna use any pick beyond the 2nd round unless it's for an academy pick or rookie promotion. I don't want another Tim Sumner situation where we pick a very raw player with potential late in the draft. Draft experts are expecting clubs to go into the draft only using the minimum amount of picks, and a lot of selections will just be re-drafting, promoting rookies etc.

I don't think we should have anymore than 2 live draft picks this year. The depth of the draft thins out very quickly, so in my opinion I wouldn't wanna use any pick beyond the 2nd round unless it's for an academy pick or rookie promotion. I don't want another Tim Sumner situation where we pick a very raw player with potential late in the draft. Draft experts are expecting clubs to go into the draft only using the minimum amount of picks, and a lot of selections will just be re-drafting, promoting rookies etc.

Shows how much you know about the Suns then..?
We have an end of first round pick..so pick 19.

Then we'll have a pick either straight after that..? Which would be pick 1 of round 2 or pick 2 of round 2..
3 picks All before pick 22..

So it will be 3 picks minimum.
After that we'd have to wait 18 more picks do it would be around pick 38-40 odd.

Last edited:
Shows how much you know about the Suns then..?
We have an end if first round pick..so pick 19.

Then we'll have a pick either straight after that..? Which would be pick 1 of round 2 or pick 2 of round 2..
3 picks All before pick 22..

So it will be 3 picks minimum.
After that we'd have to wait 18 more picks do it would be around pick 38-40 odd.

It would appear Saad will be upgraded and the 3 picks will be used if they are in the top 22 (assuming the pick/s are not traded for an established player).

With an apparent soft draft this year I think the GCS might load up with 3-4 rookies.

I understand there are only 70 players Australia wide that have been invited to the draft camp. While they can add players due to form in their respective competitions, it is down on the 100 odd players they normally invite to the draft camp.

Last edited:
No doubt - was going out to the State Basketball Centre to see LSU but just found out that they have changed things up and there will be a 'free' game at Hisense arena against Melbourne United.

http://pickandroll.com.au/lsu-melbourne-united-free/

He is going to be the most exciting Australian sports person going around within 2 years, and better yet he seems like a good aussie kid unlike those tennis flogs.
When is the game, super keen to see him

Remove this Banner Ad

Back