Rumour Gossip From Burleigh Hill - 2024 Rumours Thread (SUNS Posters Only*)

Remove this Banner Ad

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
We've officially entered silly season mode as of this afternoon and that means it's time for one of our favourite off season pastimes - a rumours thread. In 2021 it was whispers from the esplanade, last year it was pleasantries from the plungie pool and this year it's gossip from Burleigh Hill. One of the biggest rumours related to our club was already confirmed earlier this week when Damien Hardwick was rolled out as our new head coach and that's just led to even more speculation and rumours so this off season should be a fun one. As always with these rumour thread, the rules are pretty clear - posters from other clubs who come in to troll will be not be tolerated and can expect to be immediately removed. There is really only one non-Gold Coast poster who will trusted and that is Jen2310. Our ITK is generally eppo67 so keep an eye out for his posts if you're looking for credible information. Let's have some good discussions and keep things clean/on track in this thread.

So let's get into it...

RUMOUR 1 - DUSTY
First up we have Dustin Martin potentially joining our club this off season. Dusty has been linked to our club in the past but the appointment of Dimma this week really pushed that rumour into overdrive. There seems to be mixed reports at the moment but I think we're going to find out more pretty soon considering Dusty could very well play his last game for Richmond tomorrow. A wait and see situation.

RUMOUR 2 - PRESTIA
This was an interesting one that came out this week. The rumour goes that Prestia has interest in returning to Queensland and naturally he's been linked more heavily to us being one of our former players. Not sure if we're interested in him but obviously Dimma would have a soft spot for meatballs after coaching him to three premierships over the last six years.

RUMOUR 3 - BUDDY
This one broke earlier this week as well. Recently retired Lance Franklin is about to move to the Gold Coast on a permanent basis. Hardwick and Evans, who both worked with Bud in their Hawthorn days, are keen to bring him into the club in some kind of mentoring role. Once Buddy finishes up his commitments to the Swans tomorrow, this one could move pretty quickly but I suspect they'll wait until Sydney's season is over to confirm it.

RUMOUR 4 - TRELOAR
Treloar has been linked to us previously and seems this one has popped up again. It was denied earlier today but we've seen that happen before and trade requests still come through.

RUMOUR 5 - KING TO RE-SIGN
Seems to be a strong rumour at the moment that Ben King is going to re-sign with us over the summer months.

RUMOUR 6 - FLANDERS TO SIGN FOUR-YEAR EXTENSION
Came out earlier this week that we have offered Flanders a four-year extension and the media seems to expect him to sign it.

RUMOUR 7 - DANNY DALY
This is one that made headlines about two weeks ago and the suggestion is that we're about to steal Brisbane's head of football Danny Daly to be Hardwick's right hand man. Daly is highly rated and worked with Dimma at Richmond so I wouldn't be surprised if this one is true.

RUMOUR 8 - PICK 4 TRADE
There seems to be a rumour at the moment that we're going to trade up the draft order to get a player before a bid comes for Jed Walter. Regardless, trading pick 4 seems like a near certainty at this point. It's just not clear whether that will be for pick/s or player/s.

That should be enough to get the ball rolling. So, what gossip have you heard from Burleigh Hill?

Gossip Hill
2020_GC_TheBurleighHill_FoodBeverage_Picnic.jpg

Should be pretty busy according to our lying backstabbing CEO Mark Evans, Get the wallet out lets pay up

I can’t see us trading up to get somebody before the Walters bid and this is why. The AFL world will lose its mind. If we got Reid and our three Academy pics, it would be a buddy to the Swans scenario all over again, the AFL would Impose sanctions on our Academy moving forward and I’m not joking here. We know how small-minded they can be.

I can’t see us trading up to get somebody before the Walters bid and this is why. The AFL world will lose its mind. If we got Reid and our three Academy pics, it would be a buddy to the Swans scenario all over again, the AFL would Impose sanctions on our Academy moving forward and I’m not joking here. We know how small-minded they can be.
I'd rather take a half baked Prestia, Martin, Treloar etc over Reid - no matter how good he will be. The team badly needs a few players who have been in the trenches and knows what it is to fight and win. However, I'm yet to be convinced all three of our Academy kids will go top 10. Walter yes, Reid maybe and Rogers further back is how I'd see it going. AFL would in the background be happy to see some success from all the funds spent up here on both Academy, women's footy and the Suns overall. ...and finally the one Academy kid with leadership potential is Will Graham. Watch him go to another club because we just don't have the talent in our recruiting area - other than picking obvious first rounders etc.

I'd rather take a half baked Prestia, Martin, Treloar etc over Reid - no matter how good he will be. The team badly needs a few players who have been in the trenches and knows what it is to fight and win. However, I'm yet to be convinced all three of our Academy kids will go top 10. Walter yes, Reid maybe and Rogers further back is how I'd see it going. AFL would in the background be happy to see some success from all the funds spent up here on both Academy, women's footy and the Suns overall. ...and finally the one Academy kid with leadership potential is Will Graham. Watch him go to another club because we just don't have the talent in our recruiting area - other than picking obvious first rounders etc.
I think we will pick up Graham, call me optimist. But let's be honest, he is a risk with 2 ACLs. Just need to create a list spot, points are no issue. Ideally, rookie list but he will go in 3rd round probably.

Last edited:
We've officially entered silly season mode as of this afternoon and that means it's time for one of our favourite off season pastimes - a rumours thread. In 2021 it was whispers from the esplanade, last year it was pleasantries from the plungie pool and this year it's gossip from Burleigh Hill. One of the biggest rumours related to our club was already confirmed earlier this week when Damien Hardwick was rolled out as our new head coach and that's just led to even more speculation and rumours so this off season should be a fun one. As always with these rumour thread, the rules are pretty clear - posters from other clubs who come in to troll will be not be tolerated and can expect to be immediately removed. There is really only one non-Gold Coast poster who will trusted and that is Jen2310. Our ITK is generally eppo67 so keep an eye out for his posts if you're looking for credible information. Let's have some good discussions and keep things clean/on track in this thread.

So let's get into it...

RUMOUR 1 - DUSTY
First up we have Dustin Martin potentially joining our club this off season. Dusty has been linked to our club in the past but the appointment of Dimma this week really pushed that rumour into overdrive. There seems to be mixed reports at the moment but I think we're going to find out more pretty soon considering Dusty could very well play his last game for Richmond tomorrow. A wait and see situation.

RUMOUR 2 - PRESTIA
This was an interesting one that came out this week. The rumour goes that Prestia has interest in returning to Queensland and naturally he's been linked more heavily to us being one of our former players. Not sure if we're interested in him but obviously Dimma would have a soft spot for meatballs after coaching him to three premierships over the last six years.

RUMOUR 3 - BUDDY
This one broke earlier this week as well. Recently retired Lance Franklin is about to move to the Gold Coast on a permanent basis. Hardwick and Evans, who both worked with Bud in their Hawthorn days, are keen to bring him into the club in some kind of mentoring role. Once Buddy finishes up his commitments to the Swans tomorrow, this one could move pretty quickly but I suspect they'll wait until Sydney's season is over to confirm it.

RUMOUR 4 - TRELOAR
Treloar has been linked to us previously and seems this one has popped up again. It was denied earlier today but we've seen that happen before and trade requests still come through.

Seems to be a strong rumour at the moment that Ben King is going to re-sign with us over the summer months.

Came out earlier this week that we have offered Flanders a four-year extension and the media seems to expect him to sign it.

RUMOUR 7 - DANNY DALY
This is one that made headlines about two weeks ago and the suggestion is that we're about to steal Brisbane's head of football Danny Daly to be Hardwick's right hand man. Daly is highly rated and worked with Dimma at Richmond so I wouldn't be surprised if this one is true.

RUMOUR 8 - PICK 4 TRADE
There seems to be a rumour at the moment that we're going to trade up the draft order to get a player before a bid comes for Jed Walter. Regardless, trading pick 4 seems like a near certainty at this point. It's just not clear whether that will be for pick/s or player/s.

That should be enough to get the ball rolling. So, what gossip have you heard from Burleigh Hill?

Gossip Hill
2020_GC_TheBurleighHill_FoodBeverage_Picnic.jpg
Great picture. One of the best places and views in the world.

This Dusty quote from Jon Ralph earlier in the week is interesting - "His manager Ralph Carr tells Fox Footy tonight that a decision will come pretty quickly after round 24. They'll sit down to have a discussion and work through it."

Well... Round 24 is about to end. So do we hear news about Dusty intentions as early as tomorrow? Richmond will conduct exit interviews either tomorrow or Tuesday and I'd imagine that's where the possibility of a move will be brought up.

Richmond will play the " required player" card right till the end to try to extract the best deal for them.
Trade Radio has the easiest content all year.

Richmond fans calling up every hour to suggest Pick 4 and Anderson for Dusty rinse and repeat.

If it happens it will drag till the last day, will be torture for both sets of fans

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah.. not a guernsey provider, but a sponsor that wants their name on our guernsey

Sixt only just came on board for a 3 year deal and haven’t we been with Host Plus since day one.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

There's a whisper that Dusty will travel north very soon and will be touring our facilities early in the week.

There's a whisper that Dusty will travel north very soon and will be touring our facilities early in the week.
He is coming up here on holidays. Wouldn’t surprise me if he dropped in to look at his new home ground as an unrestricted free agent in 2025

Last edited:

So let's get into it...

RUMOUR 1 - DUSTY

I think it really comes down to how long Dusty feels he'll keep playing for.
If he's just going to finish out his contract the joinign his mates in retirement (1 more year IIRC), he'll probably stay at Richmond.
If he thinks he's got another 3-4 year in him (more a matter of desire than physically), he might well look elsewhere, with GC being high on the list due to Dimma...although he might prefer the idea of chasing another flag.

RUMOUR 2 - PRESTIA

Richmond getting Hopper/Taranto will have diminished his importance, so his ego might have him wanting a move (especially if they're getting better $$$). Not really sure we need another mid though, and he wont be 'number 1 mid' here either....I also don't recall any stories about him being a particularly good leader/mentor, so while he has the experience at the top, I'm not sure he'd be the guy to share that experience well. Also doesn't have a great track record with injuries.

He'd want to be cheap.

RUMOUR 3 - BUDDY

I like the idea. Even if it's more PR than anything, it'll be good for the club to have a genuine star around.

RUMOUR 4 - TRELOAR

See Prestia. He'd want to be cheap because I don't think he offers us that much.

I hope you're right!

RUMOUR 7 - DANNY DALY

Bringing in success is good.
Not sure we want too many of Dimmas old mates though. I think from his time at Richmond, he did best when he had new/revamped support team bringing in fresh ideas.

RUMOUR 8 - PICK 4 TRADE

I think we'd be fools not to trade it. I don't think we'll be moving up to get a pick before our academy picks though...Just trading down for points.

Currently, our academy picks will practically wipe us out taking all our picks worth points. If we can trade down and maximise points, maybe we can end up with something like a late second to actually use in the main draft.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back