No Oppo Supporters 2015 General AFL Discussion Thread (Swans Posters Only)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Was anyone else at the game, I get and expect the boo's for buddy.

But wtf for the goodes one? I mean they dont boo selwood or lindsay thomas so...?????

Its his second ACL already with his first season ruined by Patellar Tendinitis. So a knee injury in each of his first 3 years.

So not better at all, he'll be prone to injuries for the rest of his career

Maybe, the way I view it is that I would rather it happen when he is 20-22 rather than when he is 26-28 at the peak of his potential career. If he stays healthy he will be a great power forward. Hope he does, hate seeing injuries, regardless of who the player is.

Was anyone else at the game, I get and expect the boo's for buddy.

But wtf for the goodes one? I mean they dont boo selwood or lindsay thomas so...?????

Wasn't great but they are free to boo whoever they like just the same way our fans can boo whoever we like. I never get the idea of booing players though, I'm way too nice.

Depends who you ask

There are probably some valid reasons, I just don't get why they don't boo every single other player though. Meh, who cares Goodsey doesn't mind and he actually plays better anyway.

Only at this level since the Collingwood in 2013. People who say its been going on for longer are just deflecting the reason/s.

Its not been enjoyable to be a Swans fan at games in Melbourne since that match

It definitely has gone to another level since that game but he would get booed at some grounds before that too just because of how good a player he's been and perception that he stages.

Before that game, it was at a few grounds against a few teams. After that game, it was at every ground against every team.

The fervour with which Hawks fans were giving it to Goodes on GF Day was really unpleasant. It wasn't just "banter" at the football, it was particularly mean-spirited.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Patrick Smith was on SEN earlier and is adamant its due to Racism.

I think it's for a few reasons:

- he's been so good for so long
- he stands out because of his size and skin colour, it's obvious who has the ball when he has it
- the perception that he dives/stages
- people disliking that he reacted the way he did at the Collingwood game in 2013, as if he should have just considered it "banter" at the footy, s**t happens apparently
- people disliking that he was awarded Australian of the Year
- people disliking that he is willing to talk about social and policial issues as if he ought to be some kind of robot

Some of the above reasons are definitely tinged with bigoted attitudes IMO.

Last edited:
I think it's for a few reasons:

- he's been so good for so long
- he stands out because of his size and skin colour, it's obvious who has the ball when he has it
- the perception that he dives/stages
- people disliking that he reacted the way he did at the Collingwood game in 2013, as if he should have just considered it "banter" at the footy, s**t happens apparently
- people disliking that he was awarded Australian of the Year
- people disliking that he is willing to talk about social and policial issues as if he ought to be some kind of robot

This plus his play acting/not being charged by the MRP over the years. That is probably where it comes from the most, I just don't get why others are not booed just as much...and I can't say the Hawks are angels, didn't Hodge get off breaking someone's jaw a few years ago?

Patrick Smith was on SEN earlier and is adamant its due to Racism.

Not sure, I would hope we as a society are better than that. It might be, just hope it isn't if you know what I mean

This plus his play acting/not being charged by the MRP over the years. That is probably where it comes from the most, I just don't get why others are not booed just as much...and I can't say the Hawks are angels, didn't Hodge get off breaking someone's jaw a few years ago?

Knowing the sick and twisted thuggery at the Dawks, you would think he got off on it alright

Knowing the sick and twisted thuggery at the Dawks, you would think he got off on it alright

Who knows. This is what sort of annoys me about the Hawks. I rate them but jeez they are not angels.

To a certain extent i believe it is but people on this forum don't wanna admit it, they are a lot of bogans out there mate.

There are, which is why we as football fans/society need to make sure anything like that isn't deemed 'okay'

It definitely has gone to another level since that game but he would get booed at some grounds before that too just because of how good a player he's been and perception that he stages.

Before that game, it was at a few grounds against a few teams. After that game, it was at every ground against every team.

Of course, he had his issues with clubs and their fans because of on field events that led to booing, there was never any issue with that or thought it was racial in nature. Essendon fans for example always remember him cleaning up Hird off the ball with a bump into his back behind play and there were few games he wasn't suspended when he really should of been for things he did against the Eagles. That's fair enough.

The fervour with which Hawks fans were giving it to Goodes on GF Day was really unpleasant. It wasn't just "banter" at the football, it was particularly mean-spirited.

Agree it was racist from some elements and it was just poor taste really in general. They take great pains to "find" examples of misjustice he has committed against them to justify it and none hold ANY water.

Just what you expect from a club that had a racial selection policy well into the 90's with Buddy being only their 6th Aboriginal player to play for them and Cyril their 7th:rolleyes:

Just what you expect from a club that had a racial selection policy well into the 90's with Buddy being only their 6th Aboriginal player to play for them and Cyril their 7th:rolleyes:

That's a can of worms right there, I'm not touching this one

That's a can of worms right there, I'm not touching this one

I doubt they were the only club that had such a policy, just when they ended it (no doubt their success in the 70's and 80's played a part with it never being reviewed until when it was). With zones and then introduction of the draft, Aboriginal players at all the clubs are lopsided due to access and scouting.

I won't say the Hawks are run in anyway that is racial these days but you can understand why some of their supporters are so backward in their thinking when it comes to racism.

Not something I'm against at all, but the AFLPA and managers would work their arses off to block it.

It'd take a lot of reordering country-wide for where all 18yo's and 19yo's play footy until their eligible. Do they play state footy? Do state footy clubs add colt sides to take on those players?

Not impossible, but it'd take a huge amount of work. I like the idea of raising the draft age though.

AFLPA and managers have a bizarre interpretation of looking after players.

Making the arrangements to accomodate the kids until they are draft age wouldn't be too hard. Short term there may be some adjustment but the benefits long term are enormous.

I would also be in favour of limiting the draft to 50 (perhaps even 2 rounds). Any kid that doesn't get drafted in the top 50 ( or by the end of the second round) is then fair game for every club to sign as a rookie. Clubs won't be able to entice with money because the rookie wage is standard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back