2015 Non-Crows AFL Discussion - Pt. 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes we all did, but the difference is that GC relied far too heavily on GAJ to lead the midfield and be BOG every week. When he went down they were lost. GWS have a lot more even contribution from all their players.
GWS probably did the smart thing is barely giving the kids any senior support for their first few years and told them they had to stand on their own. They started doing that and THEN they added the senior support in Shaw, Griffen, Patfull, Mumford etc and the young kids are playing well and not leaving everything to 1-2 senior guys because they've learnt to fend for themselves.

At GC there was always that thought of "We've got Ablett here, he can take care of it if we struggle" which seems to have hurt them a bit.

Can we finally put to bed the myth that Burgess is some sort of miracle working fitness wizard? Don't get me wrong, he was a good get for the club, but..... Pre 2013 their whole operation was a schemozzle. No proper coaching, and training was not AFL standard. In comes some sort of coherent plan and a proper fitness regime, of course the team starts winning, they take teams by surprise as they are no longer walk-overs. They had 2013 with a lack of injuries to help them out too.

They are only going through a slump but will eventually be in that 6 - 12 range. They have lost some of the belief that they are bullet proof. And that goes a long way to explain the losses. Hinkley needs to earn him money now. He can still play his running game, but he has to structure up better.

They also do not have the depth that they were banging on about last year on 5AA. When they were talking midfield depth, they were using names that were servicable players who look good when the team is winning because they play a support act. In reality, they have culled dead wood but not truly built depth. (We are in the same boat in terms of culling dead wood).

Apologies to the AFC can be posted below for meltdowns about not chasing Burgess hard enough. And apologies to Poulos for accusations about his ability as a fitness coach.
Thier lack of depth makes Cornes retirment even more puzzling. They need him right now! Im with Roo in that I simply cannot understand that decision at all. He is basically saying I dont reckon we can win a flag so Im out!

He will say the buck stops with him but gee ... he has a few assistants, do they have any ideas between them:

Football Operations
Chris Davies
General Manager - Football
Darren Burgess High Performance Manager
Josh Carr Assistant Coach (Midfield)
Mark Clayton Academy Coach
Stuart Cochrane Player Development Coach
Tyson Edwards Assistant Coach (Forwards)
Stuart Graham Head of Sports Science
Aaron Greaves Player Development Coach
Shaun Hart Director of Coaching
Ian McKeown Head of Athletic Development
Matthew Nicks Assistant Coach (Defence)
Michael Regan List Analyst and Innovation Manager
Andrew Rondinelli Strength Coach and Performance Nutritionist
Chris Sheedy Football Analysis
Jacob Surjan Development Coach
Michael Voss Midfield Manager

Football Consultants
Alec Buttfield Sports Science
John Donohue Tackling
Matt McGregor Sports Psychologist
Brian Spencer Player Development
Jan Stirling Player Leadership

What about the GPS expert that they hired pre-season as a "league first", is anyone pointing the finger at him?

Thier lack of depth makes Cornes retirment even more puzzling. They need him right now! Im with Roo in that I simply cannot understand that decision at all. He is basically saying I dont reckon we can win a flag so Im out!

If plays out the season and doesn't make the firies, he'll have to wait until next intake. That will leave him on 5AA with Rooch until the next intake. That's enough to retire and go straight into the firies now.

I like how Port's Club Chaplain's name is Chaplin ... he was born for the role! Like an icecream man named Cone.
latest

You put on a pair of shoes when you walk into Port Power, fella!

What about the GPS expert that they hired pre-season as a "league first", is anyone pointing the finger at him?

When u have a much vaunted high performance manager, no injuries (very few now) and are performing like a bottom 4 club ... I know where I would be pointing the finger.

When u have a much vaunted high performance manager, no injuries (very few now) and are performing like a bottom 4 club ... I know where I would be pointing the finger.

According to them they've got sooooo many injuries...that at despite those supposed injured players actually taking part in the game. Half their team is playing injured apparently.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

According to them they've got sooooo many injuries...that at despite those supposed injured players actually taking part in the game. Half their team is playing injured apparently.

I heard one of the commentators actually making that excuse for Carlisle yesterday, that he is not fully fit. Unbelievable! Meanwhile we have 15+ actual injuries and still put up a hell of a fight against one of the form teams.

what are adelaides equivalents?

Did a search on the AFC website and this is what I came up with

Football Operations
David Noble
Poulous High Performance Manager
Scotty Camporealae Assistant Coach (Midfield)
David Noble Academy Coach
David Noble Player Development Coach
Dave Teagues Assistant Coach (Forwards)
David Noble Head of Sports Science
David Noble Director of Coaching
Steohen Schwerdt Head of Athletic Development
Darren Milne Assistant Coach (Defence)
David Noble List Analyst and Innovation Manager
Poulous Strength Coach and Performance Nutritionist
Walshy Football Analysis
David Noble Development Coach
David Noble Midfield Manager

Football Consultants
David Noble Sports Science
David Noble Tackling
David Noble Sports Psychologist
David Noble Player Development
David Noble Player Leadershi

more like it says 'if I don't go now, I am unemployed for the next 3 years unless i get a gig at 5AA' And really does anyone want to just be a Cornesy Mk II at AA even taking into account who you would have to work with?

If he really wants to do it then he needs to go. He shouldn't have played the moment he got the placement letter. A hamstring strain at training even would have eliminated him immediately. No do-overs, no 3 week stints on the sidelines, when you are in recruitment you are in recruitment, don't get injured, don't get sick, don't fail. And you are still a 1/136 (this intake) chance of making it.

Roo talks like a bloke who had his post career plan mapped out with all his interests, you can't chop someone down if they don't have the same opportunities. Kane may have made 300 games but he is no Brownlow medallist, 8 x AA, HoFer and everything that comes with it nor is he a natural media personality.

Did a search on the AFC website and this is what I came up with

Football Operations
David Noble
Poulous High Performance Manager
Scotty Camporealae Assistant Coach (Midfield)
David Noble Academy Coach
Dave Teagues Assistant Coach (Forwards)
David Noble Head of Sports Science
David Noble Director of Coaching
Steohen Schwerdt Head of Athletic Development
Darren Milne Assistant Coach (Defence)
David Noble List Analyst and Innovation Manager
Poulous Strength Coach and Performance Nutritionist
Walshy Football Analysis
David Noble Development Coach
David Noble Midfield Manager

Football Consultants
David Noble
Sports Science
David Noble Tackling
David Noble Sports Psychologist
David Noble Player Development
David Noble Player Leadershi
I really think you're underselling David Noble here by only listing the major positions.

Gold Coast just lost Prestia for the year now. And I thought our injuries were bad.

4 of their Top 5 at their B&F last year.

At least we have only lost half that (Talia, Danger, Jacobs okay, Rory & Smith missing), and not to LTI's.

If he really wants to do it then he needs to go. He shouldn't have played the moment he got the placement letter. A hamstring strain at training even would have eliminated him immediately. No do-overs, no 3 week stints on the sidelines, when you are in recruitment you are in recruitment, don't get injured, don't get sick, don't fail. And you are still a 1/136 (this intake) chance of making it.
Any chance, given who he is, that the 1/136 is shortened somewhat? You'd hope not, but there's a small PR angle there for the MFS. As long as he passes the tests etc?

I had no idea of those odds just quitely. Is it always that way?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back