List Mgmt. 2015 ruckmen

Remove this Banner Ad

First of all Clark won't do much rucking other then a couple stoppages in the forward 50.

Next, Stanley is a 2nd or 3rd forward/second ruck. He is NOT a no.1 ruck.

Our problem of 2014 (and prior) remains, that if we don't have one of Simpson or hmac fit and in form we are going to be shite in the ruck.

Yes we all like to say they are cooked but the fact that both remain on the list you have to assume at least one will be in the 22 most weeks.. So lets see how it all fits when all are fit...

- One of Simpson/hmac is a must

- Clark and Hawkins are our twin towers.

- kersten is picked for team structure as that 3rd fwd gunstan like role, and he needs games.

- defence is full for talls (lonergan, Taylor, rivers.

SO: to fill that second ruck role, only 1 of blicavs, vardy and Stanley make the 22 or we are too tall and slow.

I go vardy first (needs games and has most potential) then blicavs then Stanley.

Blicavs to play more defence.. But this all makes the Stanley trade look even more ridiculous when you put it all out on the table. He effectively plays the same role we have for vardy. Pick 21 for insurance is quite moronic IMO but hey, it's done.

Just view Stanley being in the 22 as holding blicavs or vardy back, and I don't think Stanley has the same ceiling as these 2.

Stanley at 200-204cm with a good spring will at least get first hand to the ball. Hmac and Simpson are unable to jump and struggle with effective hit outs.

HMac and Simpson were both exposed for pace at times in 2014 and given the set of wheels Stanley possesses it could be a real fillip.

With some intensive ruck skills coaching over the pre-season he could quite easily become our #1 ruck IF he develops sufficiently.

Perhaps this is what the club are hoping for.

Think it's time to cut our losses a bit with Simpson and Mcintosh. I never rated Simpson as high as some on here anyway, I thought he could become a decent afl ruckman, but not a superstar like some. And Mcintosh is just a bit old and slow unfortunately

I'd play Stanley as main ruck and have blitz helping from the back half with Clark/vardy from the forward half. I think that should be good enough to counter most teams.

Stanley has to play predominately in the ruck, there isn't room for him either forward or back with the amount of talls we already have. And I'm not sure about this talk of turning blitz into a lockdown defender. I'm happy for him to spend time in the back half, but his best asset is that he is way fitter than anyone his size. Seems a waste to have him not utilising that up the ground.

I understand everyone's desire for a 'genuine number 1 ruckman' but between those 4 it is more than adequate. Blitz and walker is not, as demonstrated in the finals, but as long as we have at least 2 or 3 of Stanley, Clark, vardy, blitz fit then we will be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First of all Clark won't do much rucking other then a couple stoppages in the forward 50.

Next, Stanley is a 2nd or 3rd forward/second ruck. He is NOT a no.1 ruck.

Our problem of 2014 (and prior) remains, that if we don't have one of Simpson or hmac fit and in form we are going to be shite in the ruck.

Yes we all like to say they are cooked but the fact that both remain on the list you have to assume at least one will be in the 22 most weeks.. So lets see how it all fits when all are fit...

- One of Simpson/hmac is a must

- Clark and Hawkins are our twin towers.

- kersten is picked for team structure as that 3rd fwd gunstan like role, and he needs games.

- defence is full for talls (lonergan, Taylor, rivers.

SO: to fill that second ruck role, only 1 of blicavs, vardy and Stanley make the 22 or we are too tall and slow.

I go vardy first (needs games and has most potential) then blicavs then Stanley.

Blicavs to play more defence.. But this all makes the Stanley trade look even more ridiculous when you put it all out on the table. He effectively plays the same role we have for vardy. Pick 21 for insurance is quite moronic IMO but hey, it's done.

Just view Stanley being in the 22 as holding blicavs or vardy back, and I don't think Stanley has the same ceiling as these 2.

It's simply impossible to predict the structure at this stage, until we know whether
- Simpson is going to play on or retire (and, if the former, when he will be recovered sufficiently to train and play)
- McIntosh's late-season op really was minor, and whether he'll be able to do a pre-season and thus continue to rebuild his match fitness
- Vardy is going to be ready Rd 1, and how many, if any, games he'll play in the 2nds
- Clark is going to be ready Rd 1, fully recovered from his physical injuries and mental Demons (;)).

But if everyone's fit and firing, then one of McIntosh or Simpson will play, Clark will play, Vardy will play, Stanley will play, and Blicavs will play. And that means it's back to the 2nds for Kersten and Walker, as well as one of (rotating) McIntosh and Simpson, if Simpson makes the cut.

Can someone explain which of Lonergan, Taylor, Rivers or Mackie is being dropped from the backline to accommodate Blicavs as a full time defender next season?

I like Blitz and think he will be a reliable performer for us in the future. But his most valuable role for us is as a backup ruckman and we've just recruited a player of similar age and slightly more experience - Stanley - who can perform the same role better.

I don't see how Blicavs stays in the team next season... But I'm sure our match committee will find a way to prove me wrong.

I think Blitz will find his way into the team, I think you are underestimating him a little bit. He is improving at a fast rate. I'd say he will be top ten finisher in the b and f next year.

Can someone explain which of Lonergan, Taylor, Rivers or Mackie is being dropped from the backline to accommodate Blicavs as a full time defender next season?

I like Blitz and think he will be a reliable performer for us in the future. But his most valuable role for us is as a backup ruckman and we've just recruited a player of similar age and slightly more experience - Stanley - who can perform the same role better.

I don't see how Blicavs stays in the team next season... But I'm sure our match committee will find a way to prove me wrong.

The change may require Blicavs to play some VFL games to complete his grounding in defence.

I also think it will do his overall game a lot of good. Playing a level below (eg top age in an U 16 team )is where you learn the tricks that you can use when you have the measure of an opponent = be proactive. Blitz has never had that opportunity - he has always had to play against more experienced opponents and I reckon that means he is in danger of becoming reactive as a footballer. He could be better than that.

Would do him no harm.

If you don't enjoy Daz's posts, you're tired of life.
Or of GFC.
Which is much the same thing.

It's not the posts. It's the "Go Catters" finish to every single post. It grinds on me. For no real reason and its petty. I just see it and always think "why, I get it's your thing, but why?"

It doesn't bother me enough for that. And I enjoy most of his posts.

It's not the posts. It's the "Go Catters" finish to every single post. It grinds on me. For no real reason and its petty. I just see it and always think "why, I get it's your thing, but why?"

It must bother you enough for that. There is a first time for everything. Stick Daz on ignore!!!!!

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All this speculation comes down to the fitness of the two big boys in Mac and Simpson. I'm not sure, but from memory Dawson hold the record for most hit outs at GFC, and with players such as Sam Newman, Polly, King, and Ottens, not a bad record to have? (seeking confirmation). But i am of the unfortunate view that his back is cooked, as a player that has had debilitating back injuries, i know how hard it is to come back, and the way the game is played nowadays he WILL be found out if not 100%. Mac on the other hand no longer has the endurance he once held and for that reason, he gets found out around the ground, can still compete at ruck taps. I just think he is deterioating at a quick rate, but who knows, I would love one of them to be taking the field each week, maybe a rotation plan between those two, possibly working it to maintain fitness, curb injury, and have them right for September.

In regards to Stanley, Clark, Blitz in the rucking department, assuming the two big boys can't get onto the park, Stanley has potential, and at 200cm, tall enough to compete. With a solid pre-season, I think he could develop into a solid No.1 ruckman. Which could be scary, considering his speed for size, would be quickest ruckman in AFL (Natinui maybe), and has good skills around the ground, and can hit a lace out 60m ball, something our ruckman have been lacking for a long time (I always get scared when Blitz, Mac or Simpson get handballed the ball), but Blitz is improving, I think the start of the year in the 2's learning the running patterns, and how to run off and be an option from defense, possibbly in the Scarlett mould, nowhere near as good yet, possibly ever, but if he became half the defender Scarlo was I'd give it a tick.

Clark has been recruited to play forward and to help out Hawkins, I doubt he will ruck much outside the fwd 50, if at all. With a few of the injuries he has recieved we just can't risk losing him from the attck, as I really think him, Hawkins, and one of Vardy, Walker and Kersten will produce a scary and dominant fwd line, with Motlop, McCarthy, and Murdoch crumbing.

As i said though this is all speculation, and we can't be sure until this time next year what the plan was. I am just excited to see the boys get back on the park and keep improving, blood a few youngsters and have a bloody red hot crack.

are you serious? hill and blitz went head to head, and hill destroyed him, and in the process put to bed the myth that blitz is fast. he isn't he is a long distance runner which mean endurance not pace. i am sure if hill kept running laps of the boundary with ball in hand blitz would have got him by the second straight, but that isn't footy.

blitz has a role in the team, it's second ruck. the MC keeps playing him elsewhere thinking he is this amazing utility but he isn't. hopefully he will be, but that is another couple of years away.

i have been very critical (as has partridge) all year when he was given roles outside of rucking because we actually had guys on the list that had earned their chance in those roles.

i think blitz should spend the year in the VFL in the ruck, but he seems to be considered in the 22 regardless of the availability of ruckmen which i think is bizarre.

could he be the next ablett, bartel, or buddha hocking?
no chance
guys like mitchell and judd would eat him, eat him

im sorry but a midfielder he is not

Wash your mouths out you lot, geez talk about short sighted.

This bloke is unique, could be as good as Mick Turner on a wing, the equal of Matty Scarlett as a KPD or Polly Farmer as a ruckman, heck wouldn't surprise me if he's our Captain Coach in a few years time. ;)

Wash your mouths out you lot, geez talk about short sighted.

This bloke is unique, could be as good as Mick Turner on a wing, the equal of Matty Scarlett as a KPD or Polly Farmer as a ruckman, heck wouldn't surprise me if he's our Captain Coach in a few years time. ;)
Whisper it quietly... next Gary Ablett.

I dont know if anyone remembers but clark was elite when he was the solo ruck @ Brisbane a few years ago. I hope we use him as a ruckman personally.

It's simply impossible to predict the structure at this stage, until we know whether
- Simpson is going to play on or retire (and, if the former, when he will be recovered sufficiently to train and play)
- McIntosh's late-season op really was minor, and whether he'll be able to do a pre-season and thus continue to rebuild his match fitness
- Vardy is going to be ready Rd 1, and how many, if any, games he'll play in the 2nds
- Clark is going to be ready Rd 1, fully recovered from his physical injuries and mental Demons (;)).

But if everyone's fit and firing, then one of McIntosh or Simpson will play, Clark will play, Vardy will play, Stanley will play, and Blicavs will play. And that means it's back to the 2nds for Kersten and Walker, as well as one of (rotating) McIntosh and Simpson, if Simpson makes the cut.
Surely not?
You couldn't have McIntosh, Clark, Vardy, Stanley, Blicavs in addition to Lonergan, Taylor, Hawkins and Rivers all in the same team.
The Geelong Lumberers.
I guess it would be a rebranding opportunity...

It must bother you enough for that. There is a first time for everything. Stick Daz on ignore!!!!!

I never thought I'd find myself on ignore or ignore worthy. But each to their own. Apologies if my continual support of the GFC is of offense to anyone.

Cheers.

Go Catters

You didn't really thing i'd stop did ya….:p

Someone's bound to be injured, if they want to fit him in as a key defender they will find away, I doubt that he will seem much if any game time in the VFL.

Strangely enough the key defensive area is one place where our best choices are usually fit;

Lonergan has played 48 out of 49 games in the last 2 years.
Rivers played 22 out of 24 games this year.
Mackie has played 47 out of 49 games in the last 2 years.
Taylor has played 47 out of 49 games in the last 2 years. He's actually never played less than 21 games in any one season. Remarkable durability.

Strangely enough the key defensive area is one place where our best choices are usually fit;

Taylor has played 47 out of 49 games in the last 2 years. He's actually never played less than 21 games in any one season. Remarkable durability.

Add Boris to that ( I realize not a KPD) and the group's consistency on the park is remarkable.

Go Catters

That just means that they are due for an injury.
Why did you go back two years for every player but Rivers, would that just skew your numbers.

Stanley at 200-204cm with a good spring will at least get first hand to the ball. Hmac and Simpson are unable to jump and struggle with effective hit outs.

HMac and Simpson were both exposed for pace at times in 2014 and given the set of wheels Stanley possesses it could be a real fillip.

With some intensive ruck skills coaching over the pre-season he could quite easily become our #1 ruck IF he develops sufficiently.

Perhaps this is what the club are hoping for.
Simpson struggled with effective hitouts only because he either wasnt hitting them to the right spots and/or our midfielders were fumbling them. he was always getting his hands on the ball ahead of other ruckman. one of the best in the comp at getting first touch on the ball.

Simpson struggled with effective hitouts only because he either wasnt hitting them to the right spots and/or our midfielders were fumbling them. he was always getting his hands on the ball ahead of other ruckman. one of the best in the comp at getting first touch on the ball.

His figures would look much better if they had a stat for FHO - Fumbled Hit Outs.:rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back