List Mgmt. 2015 ruckmen

Remove this Banner Ad

That just means that they are due for an injury.
Why did you go back two years for every player but Rivers, would that just skew your numbers.

Probably because I complained loud and long about Rivers being played in late 2013 when he didn't look fit enough.

Interesting logic, is Taylor due for an injury then?

Either way, the point is our backline - especially the tall defenders - are close to our most durable players. They absolutely might get an injury or two. But if they're fit they'll all be playing. Same argument as for Clark and Stanley and McIntosh and Vardy and Walker and Kersten - you can't play everyone.

Probably because I complained loud and long about Rivers being played in late 2013 when he didn't look fit enough.

Interesting logic, is Taylor due for an injury then?

Either way, the point is our backline - especially the tall defenders - are close to our most durable players. They absolutely might get an injury or two. But if they're fit they'll all be playing. Same argument as for Clark and Stanley and McIntosh and Vardy and Walker and Kersten - you can't play everyone.

I wasn't being serious, but on the topic of Bilcavs getting a role down back, I don't think that Rivers will play 50 career games for Geelong.

could he be the next ablett, bartel, or buddha hocking?
no chance
guys like mitchell and judd would eat him, eat him

im sorry but a midfielder he is not

He could be the next Jobe Watson, and yes right now those guys would eat him. I say give him time is all.

Clark has said he doesn't want to ruck.
Stanley's manager said he was recruited to play forward and ruck.
Stanley's manager and Balme both suggested Blicavs will play defence.
Back to the drawing board? :D

Has he though Fred? I haven't seen a quote where he has said this, only the Bigfooty Rumour mill has come to this conclusion based on the fact he 'apparently' went to Melbourne because he wanted to spend more time forward.

I suspect you may be right, but I've seen nothing concrete.

I wasn't being serious, but on the topic of Bilcavs getting a role down back, I don't think that Rivers will play 50 career games for Geelong.

I'd say he is a year to year prospect certainly but his form last year warranted repeated selections.

Would like to see his form remain but get a few more rests during the year to get Kolo out there.

Go Catters

Fair enough, we've got some very interesting scenarios awaiting us in 2015. I would be surprised if others were preferred to him - Blicavs or Kolodjashnij - at the moment. He's on 32 games for us so far. We'll have to wait and see.

Strangely enough the key defensive area is one place where our best choices are usually fit;

Lonergan has played 48 out of 49 games in the last 2 years.
Rivers played 22 out of 24 games this year.
Mackie has played 47 out of 49 games in the last 2 years.
Taylor has played 47 out of 49 games in the last 2 years. He's actually never played less than 21 games in any one season. Remarkable durability.
Which is why they're our major strength, Partridge. It's easier to have the players playing consistent footy if they're always playing together as a unit, compared with, for example, a forward line which is cobbled together from bits and pieces of best available players- even playing out of position- or a midfield that's constantly changing ruckmen or midfield players.

Let's hope the backline can stay for and in one piece, with the addition of one or two players changing from week to week, while we assemble a midfield and forward line that are the envy of 17 other teams and lost managers.

From what was said about Rivers late this season- by Rivers IIRC- I understand that his body is just hanging in there. Same as Johnson and Lonergan. I was surprised that none of those 3 retired, actually. I'd agree with you that Riv probably won't make it to 50 GFC games.

With regards to the backline, I really think that one of Lonergan, Rivers, Enright, Mackie and possibly Taylor should be rested nearly every week. Kelly as well, though I think he should either be playing full time midfield or in the VFL.

It's all well and good to have consistency and cohesion, but if Blicavs is going to be turned into a defender and Kolo is going to become an AFL level defender, they need games there.

By having one of those senior players rested each week, there is an extra spot available for the full season - plus the older guys should be a fair bit fresher come September. I very much doubt it will happen, especially against the better sides, but I would love to see a fixed rotation policy for the defenders.

He's already played 32, fair chance he will get to 50 next year.

He's already played 32, fair chance he will get to 50 next year.

I think that he will get the podsy push at the end of next year to free up games due to demographic reasons. I am betting that he will play less than 18 games next year.

Strangely enough the key defensive area is one place where our best choices are usually fit;

Lonergan has played 48 out of 49 games in the last 2 years.
Rivers played 22 out of 24 games this year.
Mackie has played 47 out of 49 games in the last 2 years.
Taylor has played 47 out of 49 games in the last 2 years. He's actually never played less than 21 games in any one season. Remarkable durability.

Add Boris to that ( I realize not a KPD) and the group's consistency on the park is remarkable.

Go Catters
Which is also why we have no defenders on the list who have played between about 10 and 200 games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With regards to the backline, I really think that one of Lonergan, Rivers, Enright, Mackie and possibly Taylor should be rested nearly every week.

It's all well and good to say that but if we lose games while resting players then the s**t will start hitting the fan. The fans will crack it and chances are the players won't exactly enjoy losing games when you're not playing your best 22. People point to 2011 but it's a lot easier to rest players when you're 13-0 and guaranteed to finish top 2 than it is when you're fighting for finals places. As we've done the last few years we'll find ways of blooding younger players. That'll be through injury replacements as well as giving younger players more important roles once we control the game (one of the main reasons for our 2nd half fade-outs this year). But I wouldn't be expecting to see clear best 22 players sitting in the stands unless they're injured.

I dont know if anyone remembers but clark was elite when he was the solo ruck @ Brisbane a few years ago. I hope we use him as a ruckman personally.
I felt he was just as good up forward at Melbourne that said, especially given the lack of supply. We have eleventy billion ruckmen of AFL standard and only one tall forward, hopefully we'll have the luxury of using Clark in the forward line.

It's all well and good to say that but if we lose games while resting players then the s**t will start hitting the fan. The fans will crack it and chances are the players won't exactly enjoy losing games when you're not playing your best 22. People point to 2011 but it's a lot easier to rest players when you're 13-0 and guaranteed to finish top 2 than it is when you're fighting for finals places. As we've done the last few years we'll find ways of blooding younger players. That'll be through injury replacements as well as giving younger players more important roles once we control the game (one of the main reasons for our 2nd half fade-outs this year). But I wouldn't be expecting to see clear best 22 players sitting in the stands unless they're injured.

Yeah I agree with most of that, though as for the bolded - that has worked for most positions, but not key defenders. As Partridge showed, Rivers, Lonergan, Mackie & Taylor have all played the vast majority of available games over the last two years. What do we do if they again get through the year with no injuries? There is no room for another tall defender, so how do Blicavs or Kolo get the AFL experience they need before the end of next year, when I would think that at least one of the senior players will be retiring?

Geez, landing Frawley would have been handy. Does anyone know if there are any decent KPDs available as free agents next year?

It's all well and good to say that but if we lose games while resting players then the s**t will start hitting the fan. The fans will crack it and chances are the players won't exactly enjoy losing games when you're not playing your best 22.
I know, I know. However, it's the best thing for the club for younger players to be found out at AFL level. No coasting along in the VFL - it's easy to think you're ok when you're racking up 25 touches a week.

Has he though Fred? I haven't seen a quote where he has said this, only the Bigfooty Rumour mill has come to this conclusion based on the fact he 'apparently' went to Melbourne because he wanted to spend more time forward.

I suspect you may be right, but I've seen nothing concrete.

Upon checking, I can find no comment by Clark to that effect when he joined Melbourne, so I think you may be right. I should have checked the source in the first place. :rolleyes:

Simpson struggled with effective hitouts only because he either wasnt hitting them to the right spots and/or our midfielders were fumbling them. he was always getting his hands on the ball ahead of other ruckman. one of the best in the comp at getting first touch on the ball.
The top ruckman have that innate ability and relationship with their midfielders to know where to palm the ball.

Sandilands, without the need to jump, constantly gives his midfielders first use with excellent body positioning, timing and deft touches to advantage.

Simpson has had plenty of time in the system to develop his ruck craft but his effective hit-outs are still a rarity. Given his mobility issues, generally poor footy skills/aptitude and chronic back issues his playing days in the hoops appear to be numbered.

The top ruckman have that innate ability and relationship with their midfielders to know where to palm the ball.

Sandilands, without the need to jump, constantly gives his midfielders first use with excellent body positioning, timing and deft touches to advantage.

Simpson has had plenty of time in the system to develop his ruck craft but his effective hit-outs are still a rarity. Given his mobility issues, generally poor footy skills/aptitude and chronic back issues his playing days in the hoops appear to be numbered.
still doesnt change the fact he gets first touch on the ball over nearly ever ruckman in the comp.

There is no room for another tall defender, so how do Blicavs or Kolo get the AFL experience they need before the end of next year, when I would think that at least one of the senior players will be retiring?

Geez, landing Frawley would have been handy. Does anyone know if there are any decent KPDs available as free agents next year?
Can you expand on this please, these 2 paragraphs seem like a total contradiction to me, where was Frawley going to play or who was he going to replace..? o_O

Remove this Banner Ad

Back