Barnawatha over chiltern
Beechworth over wodonga
Thurgoona over dmb
Kiewa over mitta
Rutherglen over wahgunyah
Tallangatta over yack

Barring wodonga and dmb I think we are in for a very even comp this year

Barny to beat Chiltern
Beechworth to thrash Saints which I think will be a common occurrence this year. I think they should consider moving back to Bethanga and become a community club again.
Thurgoona will be miles too good for Dederang. They've lost too many players and were not that strong last year anyway.
Kiewa to beat Mitta. Mitta always start slow but would think Kiewa are going to be hard to beat all year anyway.
Wahgunyah to beat Rutherglen. Wahgunyah will improve a fair bit while Rutherglen have recruited a few guys that other clubs were happy to see the back of.
Tallangatta will surprise this year and will beat Yack. Always had good kids and now have added some good senior players to be around them.
This should be a pretty good season with a lot of games hard to pick.

Chiltern 30points
Beechworth 15+ goals
Thurgoona 45points
Kiewa 25points
Rutherglen 12points
Tallangatta 8points

Hard to believe the score in the Thurgoona v Dederang game. 59 scoring shots to 6 is a massive difference. There will be a lot of locals pretty upset with what has happened to their club.
The Saints and Beechworth score is also interesting. If Beechworth can beat Saints by over 20 goals what will Kiewa & Thurgoona do to them?

Hopefully the saints can improve a bit as it is very disappointing for them after they appeared to be moving in the right direction now seem back at square 1. As for Dederang, is that their biggest ever loss? Locals won't be happy at all

Hopefully the saints can improve a bit as it is very disappointing for them after they appeared to be moving in the right direction now seem back at square 1. As for Dederang, is that their biggest ever loss? Locals won't be happy at all

As the Border Mail had said. we will have no idea about Beechworth for a few weeks. so before you feel sorry for the Saints, yesterday might be more about Beechworth's improvement than Wodonga going backwards

Does anyone have any updates on Danny Demarte. Heard he is in a bad way after an ordinary incident.

Everyone back in the comp this week with this sort of weather, I couldn't tip anyone.
Get some wet weather gear and enjoy the football.

Does anyone have any updates on Danny Demarte. Heard he is in a bad way after an ordinary incident.
Sounds like a pretty brutal incident, 30 fractures in the face doesn't happen by accident. Were there any witnesses?

Can anyone update me on where Dederang are at? Only watched them once last year and they looked average but had some kids, then looked at round one scores??? Have they lost many or are the kids on good?

After two and a bit rounds we're none the wiser
My guesses for this week
Kiewa will continue on their merry way
Chiltern will be to fast for Dederang
Wodonga won't get many chances to win, but I think this week will be one of them.
I have no idea on Tallangatta & Rutherglen so I will have to go for the home side.
Mitta will get better, but not good enough this week to beat Thurgoona
Beechworth looks to have improved but I think Wahgunyah at home.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can anyone update me on where Dederang are at? Only watched them once last year and they looked average but had some kids, then looked at round one scores??? Have they lost many or are the kids on good?
Yeah I've heard they lost a few. Something like 8-9 blokes who would be playing seniors each week and their round 1 side had like 15 players who were 22 years old or under. Inconsistency is probably to be expected as well as a slow start to the year but likely to get better as the year goes on.

Another interesting round coming up.
1st v 3rd. Thurgoona needs to be careful it could be wet and it will be cold, they will need to be switch on.
11th v 2nd. Dederang need to start winning but the hoppers are a much improved side.
4th v 5th. I think Chiltern will need to play out of there skin to beat Kiewa at home.
9th v 10th. Mitta is known for slow starts to the season but 4 zip and it will be a long way back to finals.
8th v 12th Wahgunyah should get back on the badly needed winners list with a good percentage boost.
6th v 7th One coming of a hiding and one of a walk over but good luck tipping a winner here.
Good luck to every one, and c'mon lets see your tippings.

Sounds like a pretty brutal incident, 30 fractures in the face doesn't happen by accident. Were there any witnesses?

How does a footballer run 60 metres to charge an opposition player behind play and get injured himself then site the player he has charged? What happened to being able to protect yourself!!! This outcome was an absolute JOKE!

what outcome?
The player was given a 6 weeks suspension for raising his arm to protect himself as the other player charged at him behind play. The charging player who was injured due to his own stupidity should have been accountable for his own injuries, due to the fact he ran 60 metres to take out the player. But this was not even taken in to consideration and all they looked at was his injuries and made out he was the innocent victim. Well they got it wrong and now an innocent football has copped 6 weeks, had his name dragged through the mud in the papers and will be remembered as a thug for the rest of his football career... The treatment of this player was absolutely disgusting.
WELL THEY GOT THIS ONE VERY WRONG!!!

Last edited:
The player was given a 6 weeks suspension for raising his arm to protect himself as the other player charged at him behind play. The charging player who was injured due to his own stupidity should have been accountable for his own injuries, due to the fact he ran 60 metres to take out the player. But this was not even taken in to consideration and all they looked at was his injuries and made out he was the innocent victim. Well they got it wrong and now an innocent football has copped 6 weeks, had his name dragged through the mud in the papers and will be remembered as a thug for the rest of his football career... The treatment of this player was absolutely disgusting.
WELL THEY GOT THIS ONE VERY WRONG!!!

Not too sure what to think of the 6 weeks given. I didn't see it and can only go by what I've read in the paper and by what you said Robbo, but you cant tell me a player gets 30 fractures from a bloke trying to protect him self by raising his elbow. I think there would have had to have been some intent there. What ever the case it sets a precedence for future altercations, I for one think there's too much of it that goes unnoticed and blokes get soft sentences for throwing punches.

What everyone's thoughts about the points system? I don't think they should bother trying to control clubs financial situation. It doesn't work in professional leagues so what makes them think it will work in bush footy. There will be an increase in money going under the table. The points system is the way to go.

How about the bushies!!!! they are on fire, I've heard they are still trying to recruit as well.. the big test will be against Kiewa, Just shows if your not on your game it will cost you 4pts. Any goss from the game? Did Beechworth outplay them or were thurg just hopeless. I heard they melted when it got physical.

Keep this thread pumping guys.. even if we do talk garbage!

Not too sure what to think of the 6 weeks given. I didn't see it and can only go by what I've read in the paper and by what you said Robbo, but you cant tell me a player gets 30 fractures from a bloke trying to protect him self by raising his elbow. I think there would have had to have been some intent there. What ever the case it sets a precedence for future altercations, I for one think there's too much of it that goes unnoticed and blokes get soft sentences for throwing punches.

What everyone's thoughts about the points system? I don't think they should bother trying to control clubs financial situation. It doesn't work in professional leagues so what makes them think it will work in bush footy. There will be an increase in money going under the table. The points system is the way to go.

How about the bushies!!!! they are on fire, I've heard they are still trying to recruit as well.. the big test will be against Kiewa, Just shows if your not on your game it will cost you 4pts. Any goss from the game? Did Beechworth outplay them or were thurg just hopeless. I heard they melted when it got physical.

The league doesn't need anything like this, it isn't struggling like O&M. Sure, there are some traditionally dominant clubs, but look at the last few premiers. Kiewa, Mitta, Barny, Beechworth, all won flags without breaking the bank and with a fair chunk of the players being juniors.

Now we have a bit of a better picture of what the season holds what's everyone's thoughts?

Anyone game to answer these questions,

Top 5?
Who plays in the decider?
Leading goal kicker?
Barton?
What's the biggest headline of the year?
Can anyone knock Kiewa off?

Also what does the inter league team/squad look like?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back