2015 Wimbledon

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably would have been more upset if he went out to some ********, Niemenem is a class act though and showed lots of respect. Top effort though from Hewitt.
yeah, was about to post the same thing.

hoping he doesnt get thrashed by joker next round and gets a good farewell at the end of the year.

Farkk, great effort Lleyton, fitting he goes out in a 5 setter epic instead of a complete beatdown by Novak IMO. Lets be honest, Lleyton has been cooked for a while, honestly I think Tomic moves better than him nowadays. To even be on a court now is a miracle after what he's been through. He's a polarizing figure, lots of people loathed him for his in your face attitude but you can never doubt his endeavor to fight for every single point and his never say die attitude. One of the best players in his era.

ps, i love this time of year. especially in a ashes year. Le Tour, Wimbledon and Ashes for the next 2 months.

Edit: I used to hate hewitt. i went for Safin back in 2005 for example. but he matured so much in the later years of his career and you just have to admire his heart.

I wish people would stop comparing this Hewitt to the early 2000 Hewitt. he was so young when he was good. youngest number 1 ever. of course he would be a brat. some people hold grudges and feelings for too long.

Going to save the big write up post AO 2016, but thanks again lleyton for the enjoyment of watching you play another match, putting everything on the line. Really enjoyed that last set of yours on the courts of sw19.

But the biggest thanks goes to you for giving me someone to support at the London Olympics in 2012. He played some brilliant tennis in that tournament and it was a pleasure to watch live.

It is a shame he couldn't get the job done but Hewitt's final match at Wimbledon fittingly epitomises his career. A 5 set dog fight in which he gives every last bit of energy he has to stay alive including saving 3 match points before eventually falling 11-9. He has continued his career with injuries for so long that many people forget just how good he was at his peak. He is one of the most respected players on tour for a reason. 17 wimbledon campaigns is a great effort and I look forward to his final Australian Open campaign early next year. Solid effort as always champion!

Millman beating Robredo in straight, great, great result. Top 100 now, first slam win and he played awesome

As far as Hewitt goes, it's a bit somber because pretty much that sums up any close match later in his career, can never quite close it out. He was my hero growing up (i copped a lot of flak for that) and he's always been the one player that has got me into every match he has played. Winning Wimbledon will always be remembered. Got to see him play and Wawrinka live in 2013, damn that was a special day.

Lol at best coverage ever with both Seven and Fox Sports finishing with 2 hours of light left and the 6th seed (french open finalist) in trouble.

Notes from day one:

Hewitt thanks for the memories champ. Taking it to 5th.

Millman over Robredo!!! Good work Johnny!

Media outlets have jumped on Kyrgios. Sounds like making storm out of teacup exaggerating strike threats and useless scum comments. Kyrgios one or two meltdowns away from losing respect from most followers I'd say

Missed Tomic match, good to see a win. how did he play?

Bencic beating Pironkova. Bencic the real deal?

Fantatics dividing opinions again. I think they can stay but maybe lose the cringe worthy chants and update them with something new?

Baghdatis! Looked done with leg injury 48 hours ago and gets up and wins on day one. Good work.

Kokkinakis is our future in tennis. Will overtake Kyrgios and Tomic at some stage.

Cilbukova knocked out surprisingly.

Stosur is through to round two and didn't choke.

I got a centre court ticket to men's 1/4 final day when fed beat youzhny and Murray beat Ferrer. It was one of the most surreal feelings I've had being on the grounds of sw19. The walk from the train station to the venue, the hill, strawberries and cream. Pimms and watching Wimbledon in person. Was one of the best days of sport I've been able to watch in person, was definitely a dream come true.
Haha yep! I knew I was in heaven as soon as I got off the train and the whole platform was covered in artificial grass with everything in Wimbledon theming. The goal next time is to go to centre court.

Sad to see Hewitt go out in the first round, felt like it would have been fitting for him to finish up on centre court against Novak. But on the flipside it's also fitting that he finished with a 5 set epic. Honoured to say I've seen him play at SW19. Absolute legend.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Slightly off topic, but did anyone else feel sorry for Kokkinakis being dragged into the Tomics v Rafter war of words by Rafter. Whatever your thoughts on Kokkinakis v Kyrgios v Tomic it is clear that they are all mates (particularly the two Ks) and it must have been awkward for him with the comparison. And really not ideal timing, going into his first Wimbledon (on reportedly his least favourite surface) with an already interrupted preparation with his Grandmother passing away and also illness. And then on top of all of that Rafter decided now was a good time drag up all that stuff about why he doesn't like most of our top Aussie male players but he likes Kokkinakis.

I actually thought he was impressive last night. He looked underdone at times through the match but was extremely competitive and there was only a couple of points in it in each set. Give him a better preparation and some more experience and he gets over the line I think.

Missed Tomic match, good to see a win. how did he play?

Bencic beating Pironkova. Bencic the real deal?

Fantatics dividing opinions again. I think they can stay but maybe lose the cringe worthy chants and update them with something new?

Baghdatis! Looked done with leg injury 48 hours ago and gets up and wins on day one. Good work.

Kokkinakis is our future in tennis. Will overtake Kyrgios and Tomic at some stage.

Cilbukova knocked out surprisingly.

Stosur is through to round two and didn't choke.

I'll try and answer some of them

1. Tomic was actually pretty good, the other bloke was taking it up to him. That said he needs to be proactive rather than just slicing the living daylight out of the ball. When he went for his shots in the 4th and 5th he was a lot better. Good match practice though, he needs it.

2. Pironkova played her WORST game I have ever seen her play at Wimbledon. Dumb ball bashing tactics, and I expected a lot more off her. Still far from convinced on Belinda Bencic personally, but you can only beat who is on the other side and she has a good draw.

3. Fanatics are a blight on the game, nothing would please me more than for them to not be there. At least with Hewitt gone there will be less of them.

4. Marcos played well. Such a shame he has had injuries as I firmly believe he would have won a Slam or two.

5. No surprise on Cibulkova, not only is Hanchucova a good player but Cibulkova is horrendous on grass most of the time. Plus she is still very early in her comeback. The American summer will be where Cibulcova does well.

6. Stosur winning is an absolute miracle on grass, never seen a more hopeless player on grass who is competent on every other surface.

7. How on goodness earth did Sara Errani win a match on grass, just lol.

Slightly off topic, but did anyone else feel sorry for Kokkinakis being dragged into the Tomics v Rafter war of words by Rafter. Whatever your thoughts on Kokkinakis v Kyrgios v Tomic it is clear that they are all mates (particularly the two Ks) and it must have been awkward for him with the comparison. And really not ideal timing, going into his first Wimbledon (on reportedly his least favourite surface) with an already interrupted preparation with his Grandmother passing away and also illness. And then on top of all of that Rafter decided now was a good time drag up all that stuff about why he doesn't like most of our top Aussie male players but he likes Kokkinakis.

I actually thought he was impressive last night. He looked underdone at times through the match but was extremely competitive and there was only a couple of points in it in each set. Give him a better preparation and some more experience and he gets over the line I think.

Watching Hewitt you could always be confident he'd ALWAYS give 110%, never back out and never fall back on excuses (injury, off court issues etc).

I get that same confidence watching Kokkinakis. Kid is already a class act for someone so young. Maturity beyond his years.

Lleyton Hewitt is the Triple H of tennis. Has stuck around well past his prime doing the big events.

Do you have a link to Rafter's comments? I heard some comments he made about Tomic but not anything about Kokkinakis (Thanasi to go off the rails and start throwing tantrums now after being held up as the good guy :p ).

I really wish I could have seen his match last night as it seemed to be so close and, like Rafter, he is my favourite of the male players at the moment. Tough as nails and keeps the antics to a minimum. Never seen him throw in the towel either. Gutted that he is out as I'll have to wait ages now for another opportunity to see him play.

Edit: I found the comments. Yes, it might have put a bit more pressure on him but I think he is the type to be able to handle it. I didn't realise he had been hopitalised with his stomach trouble, very good effort from him all things considered. FWIW I totally concur with Rafter's assessment.

Last edited:
Didn't expect a choke. My fault really, goes against my nature.

There is a positive...my TAB account says thank you very much.

Marinko despite how well he tries just doesn't have a weapon. Ask yourself this..what shot has he got that is great? backhand is pretty good but is well below the real top ones, forhand is average and his serve is only 'okay'. Get an opponent with a weapon and he is done. It is why his ranking is very fair, it is all he can do considering his limited game.

There is a positive...my TAB account says thank you very much.

Marinko despite how well he tries just doesn't have a weapon. Ask yourself this..what shot has he got that is great? backhand is pretty good but is well below the real top ones, forhand is average and his serve is only 'okay'. Get an opponent with a weapon and he is done. It is why his ranking is very fair, it is all he can do considering his limited game.
Jack of ...

Actually, probably a teeny bit worse than that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back