Injury 2015 pre-season injury reports

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd like to see white either play as a leading full forward with cloke at CHF or as the high HFF due to his mobility. Hoping he has the legs to push deep into the forward line with his pace as a high HFF.

It will mean that we line up with White, Cloke and Reid up forward and Witts/Grundy swapping off the bench meaning that our small forwards will need to spend more time rotating through the middle. Don't really want Cloke, Reid, White and Witts/Grundy to line up in the forward line together- too top heavy, unless two of them play deep forward only and don't drift further than 30m out from goal.

White reminds me of Tarrant I think he could become a pretty good defender
I'm sick of seeing no genuine defenders from the forward line play in defence. half our problem in defence is we keep putting back players like Sinclair Fasolo and now White. We are one of the worst defences in the league after being one the best.

2015 Injury list update.

White
Reid
Sinclair
Thomas
Abbott
Moore
Toovey
McCaffer
Scharenberg

It's nasty already and we haven't even played for 4 months. i would like an enquiry as to why we are getting so many at training as many also occurred at training last season.

Last edited:
2015 Injury list update.

White
Reid
Sinclair
Thomas
Abbott
Moore
Toovey
McCaffer
Scharenberg

It's nasty already and we haven't even played for 4 months. i would like an enquiry as to why we are getting so many at training as many also occurred at training last season.
The only players on there that concern me are White, Reid, Toovey and Scharenberg. Moore will have ample time to recover and develop as 2015 isn't a year I expect to see a whole lot of him playing in the AFL. The others we have ample cover.

The only players on there that concern me are White, Reid, Toovey and Scharenberg. Moore will have ample time to recover and develop as 2015 isn't a year I expect to see a whole lot of him playing in the AFL. The others we have ample cover.
But the it's the magnitude of the players avaiable that becomes worrying. There becomes less pressure on for spots and that can lead to more complacency. This is a long list already when the season starts can you honestly see it improving. Onve the players are complacent the team becomes "happy" with the spot. All in all this as been happening for more than two years.

But the it's the magnitude of the players avaiable that becomes worrying. There becomes less pressure on for spots and that can lead to more complacency. This is a long list already when the season starts can you honestly see it improving. Onve the players are complacent the team becomes "happy" with the spot. All in all this as been happening for more than two years.
I understand what you mean by complacency, but in terms of injuries at training, I think it is only Reid, Sinclair and Moore. Scharenberg and Caff did there's in battle, toovey did it over the xmas break (yes training), Thomas in the USA on holiday, Abbott apparently had the injury before being rookied, and White's injury is a rolled ankle not a soft tissue.

Apart from probably our talls, there are still a heap of players that will be competing for the same spots as Sinclair, Thomas and even Toovey.

I agree that it's not ideal, but take Reid, white and scharenberg from that list and I could live with the others being on there

3-1-1.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't mind your posts but have you ever played competitive sport?

Injuries happen. Soft tissue are the problem but appears we are trying to fix them.

My advice to you would be just look at the positives but you can tell me to get stuffed.

I don't mind your posts but have you ever played competitive sport?

Injuries happen. Soft tissue are the problem but appears we are trying to fix them.

My advice to you would be just look at the positives but you can tell me to get stuffed.
Yes of course who hasn't, but not at a professional level like I'm assuming 99.9% haven't who post.
That sort of injuries happen isn't good enough, it's like saying s**t happens when injuries occur, injury prevention and management is a huge part of the sporting make up today and physios etc get paid big dollars to be in that industry.
We are a Professional organisation (let that sink in) competing for the number 1 trophy in the land and its still happening. This isn't the local park club this is the biggest club in Australia. If this was occurring at Man United the s**t would hit the fan.

Yes of course who hasn't, but not at a professional level like I'm assuming 99.9% haven't who post.
That sort of injuries happen isn't good enough, it's like saying s**t happens when injuries occur, injury prevention and management is a huge part of the sporting make up today and physios etc get paid big dollars to be in that industry.
We are a Professional organisation (let that sink in) competing for the number 1 trophy in the land and its still happening. This isn't the local park club this is the biggest club in Australia. If this was occurring at Man United the s**t would hit the fan.
Unfortunately we are nowhere near Man U. Also it is a different non contact sport.

We can only compare ourselves to other afl sides and I do agree we are not good enough.

However, I do like our changes offseason. Sending Reid to Germany was a good start.

Manchester United have in fact had a horror run with injury this season (probably the worst in the club's history). I watched a United game a couple of weeks back and of the 6 big name signings they had made in the off-season, just 1 was available to play, and he only played 60 of 90 minutes, as he had recently returned from injury.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...5-injuries-to-strike-Louis-van-Gaals-men.html

Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal has used an enormous 37 players in all competitions this season, despite a lack of European football and early Capital One Cup departure. In part this is down to the extraordinary series of injuries the club has suffered.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...news/man-united-injuries-crises-began-8262773

Mike Phelan has blamed Louis van Gaal for the Reds' prolonged injury crisis, yet United's brittleness dates back to Sir Alex Ferguson's final seasons at Old Trafford.

Last edited:
Manchester United have in fact had a horror run with injury this season (probably the worst in the club's history). I watched a United game a couple of weeks back and of the 6 big name signings they had made in the off-season, just 1 was available to play, and he only played 60 of 90 minutes, as he had recently returned from injury.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...5-injuries-to-strike-Louis-van-Gaals-men.html

Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal has used an enormous 37 players in all competitions this season, despite a lack of European football and early Capital One Cup departure. In part this is down to the extraordinary series of injuries the club has suffered.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...news/man-united-injuries-crises-began-8262773

Mike Phelan has blamed Louis van Gaal for the Reds' prolonged injury crisis, yet United's brittleness dates back to Sir Alex Ferguson's final seasons at Old Trafford.

Yep, and part of the reason has to do with having players from the mainland needing to adapt to the English game. Higher tempo, more congested fixture, requiring increase in fitness base, and Van Gaal's changes in formation - fundamentally similar issues to Collingwood of the past two or three years: an increase in running loads and endurance bases due to changes in game rules and game plans. It's not that difficult to understand, nor that extraordinary.

Yep, and part of the reason has to do with having players from the mainland needing to adapt to the English game. Higher tempo, more congested fixture, requiring increase in fitness base, and Van Gaal's changes in formation - fundamentally similar issues to Collingwood of the past two or three years: an increase in running loads and endurance bases due to changes in game rules and game plans. It's not that difficult to understand, nor that extraordinary.

I would go the other tack and say it is not only difficult to understand it is essentially impossible. There is no way anyone can assess how well a club is operating without inside information and a detailed knowledge of the area.

We can all comment to a degree on the performance of players and the senior coach because we get to see them ply their trade. We have some knowledge from having played or followed the game ourselves to make an assessment. However apart from looking at an injury list or hearing a superficial run down from a Balme or the like we have no access to how our assistant coaches, doctors, physios and fitness staff are doing their job. We have no basis for assessing them and in most part little to no knowledge of their area.

Their are way too many variables in why injuries occur for a lay person with no inside knowledge to have an informed opinion re these matters. We just have to trust the club is doing its best.

You two guys above covered the Man U situation perfectly. A lot of the injuries are hamstrings too!
Goodness me, I can't believe TG would post something on a topic without having the slightest clue about the actual facts!

......oh wait. That's all he ever does.

I think we are tracking along ok. There are quite a few niggles...but i suppose we are coming off the worst 2 years of injuries imaginable so its not going to be fixed over night.

I am a bit concerned about greenwood and broomhead not taking part in training. These are 2 guys we need big years off. But both are making appearances at training an running without too many issues, so i suppose its a management thing. Remember this is broomys first real pre season so dont want to overload him.

Obviously the injuries to Moore and abbott are annoying, but neither are really huge factors for us in 2015.

Reid and Toovey are the 2 big ones. However both sound as if they are on track to be ready. Lets hope they can get into full training soon.

Macaffer and Scharenberg are seemingly on track for quick recoveries.

Jessie White was unfortunate, but sounds as if he will escape serious damage. That was just an ankle roll, which cant be prevented. That stuff is going to happen. But again White is on the fringe anyway.

The good news is freeman, adams, de goey and crisp are tracking along well, and karnezis gets fitter every day. He is coming from a long way back. These are 5 players who we need to step up in the near future. Fasolo is also going well.

We have Brown up and running and looking strong, whilst pendlebury and cloke are on modified programs but will be good to go by r1.

At this stage i am able to pick my desired best 22 with plenty of good players missing out.

If we can get reid and toovey ready by r1 and have broomhead fit then we have done very well.

Then we just hope for scahrenberg to get fit and start pushing for selection.

The next month of training is crucial because we will be stepping it up and the risk of injury increases.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back