D1 2016 discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went and watched the game at Coburg as had a mate playing for Ormond. They had a bad start, not scoring a goal till about the 20 minute mark and poor disposal didn't help. Held Kew for half of the second till a ridiculous send off reduced Ormond to 17 players and in that time Kew kicked 5 , with 4 from frees, this won the game. Ormond fought back well ,but as someone said earlier they looked to have a few that looked to leg injuries. Well deserved win for Kew, but the send off and frees were their way, having said that , the girl that umpired the reserves s**t all over the 3 duds that did the seniors. Also have to agree with the venue, very good ground.

No. 18 for Kew must have had about 43 kicks on Saturday - Ormond refused to man him up. I think that is why Kew match up so well against Ormond. Ormond have a real front running style of play and when the ball isn't bounching their way, they're not the quickest to go and defend. Kew were able to win the footy and spread from stoppages with little pressure applied from the Ormond boys. Simply put, from the naked eye, it looked like Kew wanted it more. That style of play from Ormond will see them shoot straight back down again to D1 unless they can dramatically improve when they haven't got the ball. What's that great saying "you spend 97% of the game without the ball in your hand, what are YOU doing when you haven't got it"?

No. 18 for Kew must have had about 43 kicks on Saturday - Ormond refused to man him up. I think that is why Kew match up so well against Ormond. Ormond have a real front running style of play and when the ball isn't bounching their way, they're not the quickest to go and defend. Kew were able to win the footy and spread from stoppages with little pressure applied from the Ormond boys. Simply put, from the naked eye, it looked like Kew wanted it more. That style of play from Ormond will see them shoot straight back down again to D1 unless they can dramatically improve when they haven't got the ball. What's that great saying "you spend 97% of the game without the ball in your hand, what are YOU doing when you haven't got it"?
That's a fair summing up.

Nice summary.

From my perspective, the game was lost in the 1st quarter, when Ormond couldn't take advantage of the wind. There was too much reliance on getting in to Brazz and Mal, hoping like hell they could take a contested mark and kick the goal. Delivery was poor and wide, with Ormond not being able to get any meaningful possession 60m to 70m out to set up the forwards.
The game was a very quite (some may say dull affair), up until the report. Both teams had plenty of meaningless stats around the Half Back Flank.

Post the report, both the players and the crowd decided to stir. Yes there were many free kicks. Whilst Kew don't have any Selwood's in their team, they do have guys who go very low, giving the opposition a tough time of tackling correctly, thus the free kicks.

The results indicate that the games was over at half time, but Ormond had a read hot crack in the 3rd, and I am still dumbfounded by the poor coaching of Kew. A spare man in defence half was through the 3rd, would have stopped Ormond's run. If Ormond got a couple of goals ahead by 3tr time, who knows what could of happened.

Kew with the wind in the last, held of a gallant Ormond.

Both teams will need to find some big's next year. Brough had a great game, but ruckman like Campbell, Bruno and Brisbane will push him around comfortably which will starve Kew's little players. Not sure how long Keleher can hang on for, but without him on Saturday, the game would have been very messy.

I won't compare to C Grade 2015, because Kew and Ormond will be playing C Grade 2016.

PS heard a rumour that Caulfield wanted to drop straight to D1 from B, which would save Therry fro coming down.

No chance re Caulfield. A club with a school recruiting base and a solid under 19's wanting to do that...no way. Rumour must be a gag!
Caulfield will be strong next year in C.

Is this remotely serious?

How can a club which has been competing as high as Premier Section in 2012 POSSIBLY get permission to drop two grades for 2016. What happened? Did the team bus roll down the cliffs of Black Rock on the way back from St Bedes and their entire senior 22 suffer torn ACLs as a result?

Yep maybe they did only win 2 games last year, ("poor wittle things") but I didn't hear Glen Eira sooking when they lost 0-18 in D1, and then again in D2. They copped it on the chin both times.

If true, it's probably the most pi$$weak thing I have ever heard of in my (shortish) time in this competition.

13.8 plays 8.7
Younger, faster, tougher. Wanted the ball more. Simple.
Well done both teams for getting up to C.
Martinov may not have had a possession. I certainly didn't see one. Will not need a shower post game as Cochrane has already given him a bath.
I actually drove past the ground this morning and the Police had it all taped off and sniffer dogs out in force. I stopped to see what it was all about - turns out they were having a search party for Martinov - last seen in the 1st qtr on Saturday. If you have any idea of his whereabouts please contact Cochrane's family as he too is missing, expected to still be in Martinov's pocket.

I actually drove past the ground this morning and the Police had it all taped off and sniffer dogs out in force. I stopped to see what it was all about - turns out they were having a search party for Martinov - last seen in the 1st qtr on Saturday. If you have any idea of his whereabouts please contact Cochrane's family as he too is missing, expected to still be in Martinov's pocket.

Burnie,

Luv the chat, but remember BF posters have long memories.;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nice summary.

PS heard a rumour that Caulfield wanted to drop straight to D1 from B, which would save Therry fro coming down.

Have heard some crackers from Tommy over the years, some have a modicum of truth but this one has to be fantasy.

Caulfield Grammar is one the biggest schools in the state – De La, St Bedes, Trinity and other school based clubs in A & B grade are dwarfed by comparison. The school churns out quality players at a rapid rate and their unders won a flag on the weekend. They were also an ‘A’ grade club just a few years back.

Surely this is pi55 take. However if true (which I doubt) it would say a fair bit about that club, to the point it will take them 10 years to recover.

Yeah bad luck Bedford Ha ha
Good for you mate, enjoy your win. As both Presidents have said a rivalry has been built, going to be a cracking 16 and for those who say both sides have to improve, well isn't that the norm. Both clubs know that and will endeavour to improve. Goodbye.

Have heard some crackers from Tommy over the years, some have a modicum of truth but this one has to be fantasy.

Caulfield Grammar is one the biggest schools in the state – De La, St Bedes, Trinity and other school based clubs in A & B grade are dwarfed by comparison. The school churns out quality players at a rapid rate and their unders won a flag on the weekend. They were also an ‘A’ grade club just a few years back.

Surely this is pi55 take. However if true (which I doubt) it would say a fair bit about that club, to the point it will take them 10 years to recover.

You'd entirely dismiss 90% of Brain's gossip and thoroughly check the remaining 10% I'd suggest.

Geoff Reilly has tried very hard to connect the old boys club with the school. I'm told with quite some success initially but less so in more recent times. Getting real practical co-operation and creating the environment where players want to stay is the key. Not sure Caulfield has got that right yet. That said, their under19s had a good year.

Purely subjectively, very surprised that CGS is as big as you say, comparatively.

On a final note I see Florance is up tomorrow night
I see there are 3 witnesses from Kew - granted two of them are the players that were involved, but you would think if they are going to have a Kew player who wasn't involved, they would have a BT player as well?

I see there are 3 witnesses from Kew - granted two of them are the players that were involved, but you would think if they are going to have a Kew player who wasn't involved, they would have a BT player as well?

My guess would be perhaps there is another incident from that infamous day under investigation which involved the BT player appearing tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back