earlsta

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 28, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
76ers
What would you want your 2016 team to be?
Realistically this is what could happen, only included Anderson & Menzel from trades. Seedsman? Who knows but I'd rather Anderson play the same role, hopefully we can offer him $100,000 more than Seeds.
Jenkins will need to Ruck a little bit more than usual whilst imo Jacobs will develop his forward game.
80 rotations in 2016, I don't think we have room for O'Brien, Jenkins and Sauce, I rate O'Brien though.

Backline
Jake Lever Daniel Talia Rory Laird

Centre Half Back Line
Curtly Hampton Kyle Hartigan Luke Brown

Center
Jed Anderson Scott Thompson Brodie Smith

CHF
Eddie Betts Taylor Walker Charlie Cameron

FF
Tom Lynch Josh Jenkins Troy Menzel

RR
Sam Jacobs Rory Sloane Brad Crouch

I/C Richard Douglas Riley Knight Matt Crouch Ricky Henderson
Extras trade bait- Grigg, Atkins, Kerridge, Lyons, CEY, Jaensch, Otten, Cheney

Never to be seen again - VB, MacKay, Wright

We desperately need players like Hampton, Anderson, Seedsman to put pressure on VB, Mackay etc, I believe our midfield is good enough once Brad Crouch returns, people forget he was out performing Dangerfield in the back half of 2014, he'll be a better player. He's 21 years old still.

Good team that is, the forward line could actually annihilate a team with ease. Cameron, Eddie & Menzel...all Tex or Jenkins would need to do is make the ball drop and it'll be raining goals. I'm not confident in selling the farm to obtain Redden or Mayes, honestly think Anderson & Menzel are a better way to go about it.

Crouch, Crouch, Sloane, Douglas, Thompson, Knight, Smith, Anderson to rotate through the midfield rotations. Still think we are lacking 1 Big bodied Tall-Mid to rotate through, which is where CEY comes into fruition, I hope we don't lose him.
Another thing we need to do, is not rely too much on contested possessions, more ground ball is needed as well as stoppage setups. Losing Danger will hurt our contested ball winning ability but our outside use will most likely improve as will our unpredictability around the ball.

Hendo is actually decent if he pulls his finger out and starts defending whilst being harder at the ball/man, I'd back Henderson because he's a rare specimen with athletic power.

To improve, we need to fix our 18-22 spuds. VB, MacKay, Wright, Henderson...

Anyway I'd say that team is pretty bloody good and not a drastic change to our 2015 Semi Final side against Hawthorn. The team could do damage, I say this mainly because more than 50% of the team still has improvement left in them whilst finishing 6th this year.

With Anderson, Hampton, Smith, Laird, Lever hovering around the HBF line/ Wing we also have a lot of classy users of the ball to generate some quick rebound after turn overs. We've also got the speed to counter defensive rebounds as well.

We could honestly still have Pick 9, Pick 13 as well as the team above.
Hopefully we are able to obtain Menzel + Anderson using a 2016 2nd rounder + a player etc.
We don't need to do too much to improve... can't lose our heads, I hope the list management team is on the same page here. However I do have a feeling we've matched Geelong for Pick 9 because we're likely to give 9 or 13 away for a big name, who knows who it may be.

My tips for big things in 2016.

R. Knight
B. Crouch (Duh)
R. Obrien (Will put pressure on Jerka)
M. McGovern
J. Anderson (I hope Bickley is right) I will do the biggest fist pump ever if we manage to obtain him from Hawthorn.

Last edited:

I'm not doing a team based on players we probably won't get, but let's say we land the players you suggest - only Menzel would get a gig.
Hampton ahead of MacKay or VB easily.
Jed I won't comment on yet.. Still fanciful stuff but if Bickley mentioned it then it must have merit.

What would you want your 2016 team to be?
Realistically this is what could happen, only included Anderson & Menzel from trades. Seedsman? Who knows but I'd rather Anderson play the same role, hopefully we can offer him $100,000 more than Seeds.
Jenkins will need to Ruck a little bit more than usual whilst imo Jacobs will develop his forward game.
80 rotations in 2016, I don't think we have room for O'Brien, Jenkins and Sauce, I rate O'Brien though.

Backline
Jake Lever Daniel Talia Rory Laird

Centre Half Back Line
Curtly Hampton Kyle Hartigan Luke Brown

Center
Jed Anderson Scott Thompson Brodie Smith

CHF
Eddie Betts Taylor Walker Charlie Cameron

FF
Tom Lynch Josh Jenkins Troy Menzel

RR
Sam Jacobs Rory Sloane Brad Crouch

I/C Richard Douglas Riley Knight Matt Crouch Ricky Henderson
Extras trade bait- Grigg, Atkins, Kerridge, Lyons, CEY, Jaensch, Otten, Cheney

Never to be seen again - VB, MacKay, Wright

We desperately need players like Hampton, Anderson, Seedsman to put pressure on VB, Mackay etc, I believe our midfield is good enough once Brad Crouch returns, people forget he was out performing Dangerfield in the back half of 2014, he'll be a better player. He's 21 years old still.

Good team that is, the forward line could actually annihilate a team with ease. Cameron, Eddie & Menzel...all Tex or Jenkins would need to do is make the ball drop and it'll be raining goals. I'm not confident in selling the farm to obtain Redden or Mayes, honestly think Anderson & Menzel are a better way to go about it.

Crouch, Crouch, Sloane, Douglas, Thompson, Knight, Smith, Anderson to rotate through the midfield rotations. Still think we are lacking 1 Big bodied Tall-Mid to rotate through, which is where CEY comes into fruition, I hope we don't lose him.
Another thing we need to do, is not rely too much on contested possessions, more ground ball is needed as well as stoppage setups. Losing Danger will hurt our contested ball winning ability but our outside use will most likely improve as will our unpredictability around the ball.

Hendo is actually decent if he pulls his finger out and starts defending whilst being harder at the ball/man, I'd back Henderson because he's a rare specimen with athletic power.

To improve, we need to fix our 18-22 spuds. VB, MacKay, Wright, Henderson...

Anyway I'd say that team is pretty bloody good and not a drastic change to our 2015 Semi Final side against Hawthorn. The team could do damage, I say this mainly because more than 50% of the team still has improvement left in them whilst finishing 6th this year.

With Anderson, Hampton, Smith, Laird, Lever hovering around the HBF line/ Wing we also have a lot of classy users of the ball to generate some quick rebound after turn overs. We've also got the speed to counter defensive rebounds as well.

We could honestly still have Pick 9, Pick 13 as well as the team above.
Hopefully we are able to obtain Menzel + Anderson using a 2016 2nd rounder + a player etc.
We don't need to do too much to improve... can't lose our heads, I hope the list management team is on the same page here. However I do have a feeling we've matched Geelong for Pick 9 because we're likely to give 9 or 13 away for a big name, who knows who it may be.

My tips for big things in 2016.

R. Knight
B. Crouch (Duh)
R. Obrien (Will put pressure on Jerka)
J. McGovern
J. Anderson (I hope Bickley is right) I will do the biggest fist pump ever if we manage to obtain him from Hawthorn.
Although footy isn't played on paper, I do like that team :thumbsu::)

B: Brown, Talia, Lever
HB: Hampton, Hartigan, Laird
C: knight, M.Crouch, Smith
HF: Lynch, Walker, Menzel
F: Betts, JJ, Cameron

RR: Jacobs, B. Crouch, Sloane

I: Anderson, Douglas, Atkins, Lyons

Assuming cey is in fact being traded, otherwise id have him in the side

Last edited:
It's only 4 changes from our last team that ran out onto the ground too.

Out- Cheney, VB, MacKay, Dangerfield
In: Anderson, Lever, Hampton, Menzel
If we only recruit Hampton, Menzel and Anderson then I'd assume we'd only have traded pick 13 and 32 plus change for Hampton (maybe 2016 second) leaving us with pick 9 in the draft too.

Assuming we get Hampton, Menzel and Anderson, and lose CEY, here's what I'm hoping...

HB: Laird, Hartigan, Hampton
C: Knight, Thompson, Smith
HF: Menzel, Walker, Lynch
F: Cameron, Jenkins, Betts
Foll: Jacobs, Sloane, BCrouch
I/C: Anderson, MCrouch, Douglas, Henderson
Emg: Grigg, Cheney, Atkins

But it's most likely VB will be in there somewhere. Come on Pykey :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Assuming we get Hampton, Menzel and Anderson, and lose CEY, here's what I'm hoping...

HB: Laird, Hartigan, Hampton
C: Knight, Thompson, Smith
HF: Menzel, Walker, Lynch
F: Cameron, Jenkins, Betts
Foll: Jacobs, Sloane, BCrouch
I/C: Anderson, MCrouch, Douglas, Henderson
Emg: Grigg, Cheney, Atkins

But it's most likely VB will be in there somewhere. Come on Pykey :(

Why is CEY on the nose? Always thought there is plenty of upside to him given some more time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After preseasons filled with personal bests across all categories, I can see the theoretical best 22 beginning with this. It should start to look a little different after 12-15 rounds.

...... ........ ........
VB. ........ ........
...... ....... Dmac
Wright. ....... ........
...... ....... ........

Please Pyke, please, don't be fooled by their work in running shoes.

Brown DTalia Lever
Laird MTalia Smith
Mayes MCrouch Seedsman
Anderson Walker Lynch
Betts Jenkins Cameron
Ruck: Jacobs BCrouch Sloane
Int: Knight, CEY, Hampton, Douglas

Last edited:
Why is CEY on the nose? Always thought there is plenty of upside to him given some more time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I really like him, don't get me wrong, just hard to see him at the club next year. Would be in the starting 22 for sure if I was totally confident he'd be here, maybe even starting 18.

After the news in the possible trades thread, however, I am becoming way more confident he'll stay.

For me:

B: Brown - Talia - Lever
HB: Seedsman - Hartigan - Hampton
C: Smith - B.Crouch - Sloane
HF: Atkins - Tex - Lynch
FF: Betts - Jenkins - Cameron
IR: Jacobs - Thompson - M.Crouch
Int: Knight - CEY - Douglas - Laird

Last edited:
Brown Talia Lever
Laird Talia Smith
Sloane Thompson Seedsman