List Mgmt. 2022 AFL Draft & Rookie Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

My read of the mic'd up session was that:

1. Hollands was the clear choice at first pick following other team's selections - we will never know if anyone was preferred ahead of him but dint get the chance to get them - I think Club ''needs' was #1 priority here

2. Voss and Austin were really happy to land Cowen at the second pick ( I think the comment was cant believe he lasted for us) and the pick#2 swap with Collingwood was done in order to secure him and was subject (of course) to availability - definitely, a strategy that had been organised between Collingwood and Carlton prior to the night - clearly Cowen highly rated - I think best player available was in play here

3. Binns was the next pick in order to someone who had been taken previously - I think this was a selection team pick more than anything else
and - I think this one falls into ''needs category"

4. Austin was super pumped to get Lemmey as the 4th - again I think this was a selection team pick - I think this one looks like best player available

Austin made two comments during the edited session that were interesting to me

1. Running capability of the list has changed a lot ( looking at Voss and Cook) are you happy?
2. Lemmey definitely had Austin excited due to his height and versatility - comments made to Cook - twice.

He is not a forward

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Not in the traditional sense of either being a tall or a crumber.

You can't just let your mids and wingers do all the running though. Kane Lambert at Richmond was basically a half forward who played as an extra mid. Wasn't going to take contested marks or kick a heap of goals, but had a very high number of assists due to constant running up and back.

We have lacked that extra run. It doesn't have to be Cottrell, but the mix has to change a bit. There's no point identifying a weakness, drafting to fix it, then not playing any of the types who will actually help address it.

Swapping the wings out and replacing them with others doesn't add run, it just changes who is doing it. Cottrell and O'Brien were not the problem in terms of running power. We need to add more run. Acres will take a wing and that likely pushes a runner to half forward, or we add a new one if the draftees are ready.

Any of them will doing well to play 5 games.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Agree, all 2022 draftees are just skinny youngsters whom need orientation, mentoring and hard work, developing better team cohesiveness and hopefully AFL standard. Welcome to the big time, it’s no longer school footy, every lad will respond differently let’s be patient. Character and attitude seem ok with all our lads and that’s the first big hurdle.
My favorites are Lemmy & Cowan.

Hi peeps.

I've had a long, tiring 2022 and am going to go walkabout over the off-season. Just thought I'd put it out there.... you know, in case nobody noticed I was gone :p

In advance, Merry Xmas, Kwanza, Channuka, Festivus, Gregorian New Year, Lunar New Year, The List Finally Looks Healthy Hour and Annual Training The House Down Day.

Please leave an SSP spot open for me to rejoin the BF list in 2023 ;)

I’ll give you a day absolute max

St Kilda won the trade period a few years ago with the Hill et al haul. How did that work out for them in the long term? Not a knock on your comment, which feels appropriately sarcastic, but these who won the…insert random AFL plaything…doesn’t put any actual wins or percentage on the board.

It’s all about what you do with it. Off to the Preseason thread.

Obviously.

1. Hollands was the clear choice at first pick following other team's selections - we will never know if anyone was preferred ahead of him but dint get the chance to get them - I think Club ''needs' was #1 priority here

2. Voss and Austin were really happy to land Cowen at the second pick ( I think the comment was cant believe he lasted for us) and the pick#2 swap with Collingwood was done in order to secure him and was subject (of course) to availability - definitely, a strategy that had been organised between Collingwood and Carlton prior to the night - clearly Cowen highly rated - I think best player available was in play here

3. Binns was the next pick in order to someone who had been taken previously - I think this was a selection team pick more than anything else

4. Austin was super pumped to get Lemmey as the 4th - again I think this was a selection team pick - I think this one looks like best player available

1. Running capability of the list has changed a lot ( looking at Voss and Cook) are you happy?
2. Lemmey definitely had Austin excited due to his height and versatility - comments made to Cook - twice.
1. They didn't show any vision before the Holland pick, like they did with the other picks, so I think maybe most, if not all, the players selected before him would have been selected by us, too, if they were available to us.

2. It seems Cowan was one of the two Austin pointed to on the list (when taking earlier with Cook) who would be a prime target.

3. Binns could have been the other of those two Austin mentioned, but maybe not. Interesting that Lloyd asked whether he would be available at 46 which may mean they were thinking about how to get both Lemmy and Binns. Binns would have been taken by us at pick 31 as they were hoping St.Kilda wouldn't select him with that pick. As they were reading out the name for pick 31, for a spilt second Austin thought it was Binns' name. He was relieved it wasn't, and, Agresta thinking the same said, "my heart just stopped there for a second". So Binns was definitely a sought after target.

4. Austin made Lemmey the final target at least 8 picks before we selected him so maybe both Binns and Lemmey were similarly rated. It's just that they may have thought Lemmey would make it to pick 46 whereas Binns wouldn't.

Prediction time. How many AFL games will each of our new draftees play in 2023?
Cowan looks the most AFL ready in terms of his physique, but he plays in one of the most loaded parts of the ground for us at half back. He’s going to start behind Doc, Saad, Williams, Newman and Boyd. That’s a good problem to have and shows the depth in this part of the list.

Hollands I can see breaking in to the side as Acres is probably the only player locked in for a wing role. I still expect one of Cottrell, LOB or maybe even Ed to start on the wing opposite Acres for round 1 but could see Hollands working his way into the team as the season progresses.

Binns and Lemmey are likely to spend the year developing in the 2s, which will be good for them, unlike other previous draftees who were thrown into the seniors due in part to the list not being good enough.

How is that a problem. They know what they wanted and they got it done without hesitation. Your opinion in from your armchair. Our recruiting team has been tracking them every weekend for 2-4 years. They do plenty of research, interviews etc.

If opposition clubs know exactly what we're seeking, that puts at a disadvantage in every trade discussion and contract signing. That's the problem.

If you don't funnel yourself into drafting for needs or effectively announcing favourites, you can trade down and up more regularly and improve your hand as you acquire players you really like for the short and medium term if you so desire.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If opposition clubs know exactly what we're seeking, that puts at a disadvantage in every trade discussion and contract signing. That's the problem.

If you don't funnel yourself into drafting for needs or effectively announcing favourites, you can trade down and up more regularly and improve your hand as you acquire players you really like for the short and medium term if you so desire.

Every club knows another's weaknesses and strengths. Every club knows who others want, it's why Twomey gets the information he does.

But, to suggest we only rated and or were taking only the players we acquired is a fallacy

We were looking to trade with the Swans for 14 and 17, which would have changed our draft hand.

All the players we took, could have been off the board before our selections

Each club rates players differently and there isn't one recruiter or club that gets it right every single time

I think we are a bit better though than when Nat Southby used to announce our picks on Twitter approximately two weeks before the draft.

And yet all and sundry knew we were going to be fixated on drafting in high endurance wingers.
Cowan pick #2 isn't a wingman and neither is Leemay is he?

I think 'fixated' is a bit of an overstatement.

Some people seem to have an issue with the third pick use more than anything else....

of the 4 picks used I think Cowan will be the best player - once he gets rid of the mullet nonsense

I could hear Austin say binns wouldn’t last to our next pick.

It was only a surprise that Hawthorn got the trade done, and that happened due to West Coast going earlier with Hewett than most thought. But it wasn't a surprise that West Coast picked Hewett.
Pretty sure Hewett was before pick 15, the surprise for them - at least from my perspective - was going for Barnett that early, or at all.

Yes, he was seen in that 15-30 range, but he's going to necessitate a centre bounce system change if he's to ruck for them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back