Game Day 2022 AFL Draft thread.....

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We usually do a GD Draft thread to keep the stuff out if the Drafting and trading thread.

WE will close that one for now and reopen after the draft.

Ive copied the last 25 posts over to keep the chat going.

All Draft talk in here now please.

GO Catters

Last edited:
Keeping a pick for midseason draft it would seem

Odd to me because a lot of teams left a spot open so we will be picking at 15ish in the msd anyway. I would have rather taken the extra player now

Either that or we are looking at having a train on that we could take as a SSP.

Potentially get a bunch of talls to train over the summer and offer the best one a spot before march i suppose

Odd to me because a lot of teams left a spot open so we will be picking at 15ish in the msd anyway. I would have rather taken the extra player now
Coverage for any potential injury that may pop up early in the season is the thinking I would guess

So we keep a pick over for the SSP or MSD looks like you were spot on BigCat1 :)

Really surprised Ethan Phillips, Northam or Jed Hagan didn't get picked up. Ditto Szybowski or D'Aloia. Very, very strange, but maybe some of the get picked up as an SSP or in the MSD next year. Could see us inviting Northam to train along with some others, given he's a Falcon. With that said, he's dropped off a cliff since last year...so maybe clubs just think he's lacking in too many areas.

So we keep a pick over for the SSP or MSD looks like you were spot on BigCat1 :)

Really surprised Ethan Phillips, Northam or Jed Hagan didn't get picked up. Ditto Szybowski or D'Aloia. Very, very strange, but maybe some of the get picked up in the MSD next year

Phillips basically the only FR medallist in the last 15 yeaes not to get drafted. Really surprising.

Did Szybkowski get taken?

Nope. Crazy that someone rated in the Top 30 by most didn't even get taken using a speculative rookie pick. Really seems that clubs are moving away from those slowing big bodied mids, as guys like Szybowski and D'Aloia have been very, very highly rated as inside mids, but don't have too many others strings to their bow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ethan Phillips... passed over... Mmmm interesting. Was rated the best defender in the VFL by some.
You would think he was worth a rookie spot with us based on actual performance in seniors, with no backup for SDK other than Esava (who could try again to leave next year if he shows any form and can't get a game).

You would think he was worth a rookie spot with us based on actual performance in seniors, with no backup for SDK other than Esava (who could try again to leave next year if he shows any form and can't get a game).

Definitely looks like they are considering Sav a defender now. Here is hoping for no injuries to SDK or Henry :straining:

Not sure you need a back up for the back up, always a chance mid season if we need to break glass. All our medium+ defenders play taller and our system is well honed to defend.

Reckon Foster starts out as a defender, IMO. SDK, Kolo, Sav, Foster and Blics in a pinch, is enough for now :)

Most likely this draft/trade period will
be on the podium for us, unimaginable after winning a flag.

Main watch for me will be Phoenix, just something about the kid.

Clohesy and Murdoch could surprise as well. Osca has some tricks too. Love when we pick Falcons with speculative picks. We always have so much more exposure, so can get a bargain for some good prospects, because no other clubs see what we do.

Ssp is rookie list as is msd

Are you sure? I was positive it was a spare list spot, as others have had senior list spots free in the past...

EDIT: they've been LTI's. Disregard Two Planks as I've got this wrong. Is just a rookie spot -

"Player eligibility for the SSP and MSRD

A player is eligible for the SSP or MSRD under either of the following:
  • A Player must have nominated for the most recent National Draft.
    Note: A Player who nominated for, and was not selected during the Draft and who has committed for a further year as a 19-year-old Northern or NGA Academy Player is eligible for selection by their club during the SSP, however is available to all clubs should they nominate for the MSRD.
  • Players must have previously been on the list of a Club (not required to nominate for the most recent Draft) refers to the following situations:
    • A Delisted Player
      Note: A Player delisted by a club cannot be reselected in the SSP or MSRD by the same Club in the period immediately following their delisting unless they nominated for the most recent Draft
    • A Retired Player and/or a Player who has delisted themselves and has not been on an AFL list for one year or more.

AFL club eligibility for the SSP and MSRD

A club is eligible to select a Rookie Player during the SSP or MSRD as follows:
  • If a club has a rookie list spot available
  • If a player suffers a year-ending injury or retires, the player can be placed on the Inactive List and be replaced by an SSP or Mid-Season Draft Rookie Player."

Last edited:
Nope. Crazy that someone rated in the Top 30 by most didn't even get taken using a speculative rookie pick. Really seems that clubs are moving away from those slowing big bodied mids, as guys like Szybowski and D'Aloia have been very, very highly rated as inside mids, but don't have too many others strings to their bow.

It’s interesting the trends that seem to come and go in rating the prospective draftees. These days, even if you can win your own footy, unless you have leg speed or another weapon you are invariably overlooked. Think those 2 guys are pretty unlucky to be playing in this small era. In others they’d have been picked in the main draft, let alone as a rookie.

It’s interesting the trends that seem to come and go in rating the prospective draftees. These days, even if you can win your own footy, unless you have leg speed or another weapon you are invariably overlooked. Think those 2 guys are pretty unlucky to be playing in this small era. In others they’d have been picked in the main draft, let alone as a rookie.

D'Aloia was literally a first rounder and in the mix for Top 5-10 middle of last year. Crazy how far he slid to not even get drafted. Same with Lemmey, Keeler and Northam. Just goes to show how much emphasis gets placed on your final year in the underage system, as opposed to previous years.

Only Jhye, Humphrey, Tsatas, Mackenzie, Sheezel, Wardlaw, Busslinger and Ashcroft went around their same mark and kept their ranking - (which is why I and others rated those guys above a lot of the 'media picks' that kept popping up)...all other first rounders completely dropped off the face of the earth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back