Game Day 2022 AFL Draft thread.....

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We usually do a GD Draft thread to keep the stuff out if the Drafting and trading thread.

WE will close that one for now and reopen after the draft.

Ive copied the last 25 posts over to keep the chat going.

All Draft talk in here now please.

GO Catters

Last edited:
With our drafting it makes me wonder if there is a RFA on the horizon who can hold down a spot as a key defender. Also with limited capital next year means if the other club matches, means we don’t have to hand over as much as we have in the past.

D'Aloia was literally a first rounder and in the mix for Top 5-10 middle of last year. Crazy how far he slid to not even get drafted. Same with Lemmey, Keeler and Northam. Just goes to show how much emphasis gets placed on your final year in the underage system, as opposed to previous years.

Only Jhye, Humphrey, Tsatas, Mackenzie, Sheezel, Wardlaw, Busslinger and Ashcroft went around their same mark and kept their ranking - (which is why I and others rated those guys above a lot of the 'media picks' that kept popping up)...all other first rounders completely dropped off the face of the earth.

It really is the HSC exam of footy isn't it.

You can be the brightest kid going around but if you bugger up year 12 the last 11 years count for nothing.

With our drafting it makes me wonder if there is a RFA on the horizon who can hold down a spot as a key defender. Also with limited capital next year means if the other club matches, means we don’t have to hand over as much as we have in the past.
I think you’re onto something there… TDK might be on that list? Doodles from Adelaide? Harry’s brother?

Ben
Ben McKay of North is a RFA next year. 201cm. As North will finish low, they may take the compensation pick.

Ted closesy 184cm tough midfielder who averaged 24 touches 7 tackles per game in TAC cup goes as a rookie pick… am I missing something here?? I cannot imagine he would be racking up those tackle numbers if he was slow. So what’s the hesitation from clubs in the draft to let him go to us for free??

Ted closesy 184cm tough midfielder who averaged 24 touches 7 tackles per game in TAC cup goes as a rookie pick… am I missing something here?? I cannot imagine he would be racking up those tackle numbers if he was slow. So what’s the hesitation from clubs in the draft to let him go to us for free??
Watching him he didn't look slow but lacked the acceleration out of stoppage of some of the other guys. Clark's highlights are interesting contrast - both in the sense Clohesy doesn't have that burst that he does, but also that he just looks a bit more flustered when Clark dishes to him. I think he probably tops out (like his old man) as a very good VFL player, but hopefully is better than that.

He mentioned a few times that he's a smaller mid, and that he found that he could match it with the bigger ones because of his willingness to work in the contest. It tells me alot about him. He appears to be someone who doesn't talk himself up, but just goes about it through action. He's very matter-of-fact.
Very Geelong like - just get it done!

Ethan Phillips... passed over... Mmmm interesting. Was rated the best defender in the VFL by some.
I was shocked - followed him in nab league (same age as one of my boys) and thought he would find a way back. Also when he won the best young player medal in VFL I thought it was a certainty…. Given facts copied below…he broke a streak in an unfortunate way..

Phillips' AFL chances received a significant boost when he was awarded the prestigious Fothergill-Round-Mitchell Medal last month. Recognising the most promising young talent in VFL competition, its winner has been drafted to an AFL list for 15 straight years.

I was shocked - followed him in nab league (same age as one of my boys) and thought he would find a way back. Also when he won the best young player medal in VFL I thought it was a certainty…. Given facts copied below…he broke a streak in an unfortunate way..

Phillips' AFL chances received a significant boost when he was awarded the prestigious Fothergill-Round-Mitchell Medal last month. Recognising the most promising young talent in VFL competition, its winner has been drafted to an AFL list for 15 straight years.

He still might get listed via ssp because a lot of clubs left spots open.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watching him he didn't look slow but lacked the acceleration out of stoppage of some of the other guys. Clark's highlights are interesting contrast - both in the sense Clohesy doesn't have that burst that he does, but also that he just looks a bit more flustered when Clark dishes to him. I think he probably tops out (like his old man) as a very good VFL player, but hopefully is better than that.
From the very limited I’ve seen of Clohsey he looks like he could develop with an Atkins like game.
Obviously any player picked late or in the rookie draft has a few things to work on. But he looks like he has some good attributes to work with and obviously has leadership skills.

Disappointing not to add a tall defender, I hope we look at some options for ssp. And we also need some mature players in our vfl team to help develop the youngsters and play vfl finals.
I know not many on here are keen but I’d have a look at Stack with the rookie list spot if we’re not going to get a tall.
He’d need to work hard and fit his way into the team which could be what he needs. Would be good back up for a defensive or wing role.

Who knows what clubs are after are who they watching.

Just hope a few of these mids are good for us.

Wells sounded fairly adamant that we would be leaving a list spot for the mid season draft

I think it depends on who becomes available over the ssp (we might get some of our vfl guys to train with us over the summer) but i agree sounds like we will leave it open for msd.
Now i can see why we rejected p36 for sav (though it was a good offer) as we have zero other backup kpd thats why he was kept for 12mths

Has anyone got our full list, inclusive of rookies for next year?

If you start with the flag 23 minus joel
Stewart
Hawkins
Henry J
Tuohy
Bews
Kolo
Moc
Zuthrie
Blitz
Sdk
Duncan