Game Day 2022 ANZAC Day, R6 Essendon v Collingwood (Mon 25-Apr, 3.20pm @ MCG) | Lest We Forget

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
AFL R6 Essendon vs COLLINGWOOD

DATE:
ANZAC Day Monday 25th April, 2022
FIRST BOUNCE: 3.20pm
WHERE: MCG

GETTING THERE:
PTV Journey Planner
PTV Disruptions

BROADCAST:

F4337568-D40C-452C-8E86-31B9CE6CF609.jpeg

E9F85085-CC2E-49BA-9A50-EB5E84828553.jpeg 767745DB-DE05-4FD8-99E9-BA338901B449.jpeg

Head to Head:

All Time:

Collingwood 134 ~ 3 ~ 106 Essendon

ANZAC Day:

Collingwood 15 ~ 1 ~ 10 Essendon

ANZAC Day History:

Win/Loss:

D,W,W,W,L,L,L,W,L,L,L,W,W,L,W,W,L,W,W,W,L,W,W,L

Stats / Previous matches:

Recent Form and Ladder:

EE7319BC-2C35-4602-914C-023AA3F5C364.jpeg
B05429EA-4601-49F3-9DB1-18D0C3B947ED.jpeg

Injuries and Suspensions:

Collingwood:

• Dean
  • Elliott
  • Johnson
  • Murphy
  • Roughead
  • Ruscoe

Essendon:
  • Hurley
  • Langford
  • Merrett (named to play)
  • Phillips
  • Snelling
  • Stewart
  • Stringer (named to play)
  • Voss

Teams:
Collingwood

7DF4FB10-DFF7-4918-B2D9-B9C9D75963EE.jpeg
F2DB70BD-84C4-43CD-B5C7-A1D68DC66893.jpeg

Essendon:

EAAABAFC-6EDD-4489-AB4A-47F20F46891E.jpeg
E17E2DE2-C6B0-4BD4-BB5E-71BA752D7F4A.jpeg

In/Out:
3384EAD3-F346-4C95-ADD5-89992B197C51.jpeg

Changes From Last ANZAC Day:

Collingwood:
In:
Adams, N Daicos, DeGoey, Ginnivan, Kreuger, Howe, Lipinski, McInnes

Out: C Brown, T Brown, Kelly, Macrae, Murphy, Rantall, Roughead, Ruscoe, Thomas

Essendon:
In:
Baldwin, Caldwell, Draper, Durham, Hobbs, Kelly, Martin, Ridley, Shiel, Waterman

Out: Francis, Ham, Hooker, Jones, Langford, McDonald-Tipungwuti, Phillips, Smith, Snelling, Zaharakis

Changes From R23:

Collingwood:
In:
N Daicos, Kreuger, Lipinski, McInnes, Mihocek, Moore, Quaynor

Out: Bianco, Henry, Mayne, Murphy, Rantall, Roughead, Thomas, Wilson

Essendon:
In:
Baldwin, Caldwell, Hobbs, Kelly, Martin, Zerk-Thatcher

Out: Clarke, Cutler, Francis, Hind, Smith, Snelling, Stewart

My Thoughts:

Easy to forget after yet another finals loss that Essendon started last season almost as poorly as ‘22 and went into ANZAC Day 2021 at 1W-4L and sitting 14th. While we entered last years match slightly worse on account of percentage.

Essendon’s win on the day against what was a pretty undermanned Collingwood missing Adams, DeGoey, Howe, Elliott, Mayne (admittedly the bombers were missing a few too) was ultimately shown to be the turning point of their 2021 season. Such was their run of form that they entered ‘22 with much hype and talk of breaking their finals hoodoo. Conversely we continued to struggle, sacked a club great and entered ‘22 downcast by the media under a rookie coach.

A couple of early wins and a refreshed game plan reminiscent of 2018 sees the ‘pies with a promising start to 2022 albeit that early praise has been somewhat tempered by close losses to Geelong and Brisbane and a disappointing close home loss to the eagles.

By contrast under the weight of high expectations Essendon haven’t started the year how they left off ‘21 and have so far struggled to get going. Like us they’ve been horrible in patches through games, but unlike us their losses have been by much heavier margins. The Essendon mafia lead by past club greats and now media personalities Lloyd and Watson have desperately tried to fire the club up with much criticism all week after they got thumped by Freo at Marvel.

In terms of the teams Grundy will be somewhat relieved that Phillips who generally comes in to play on him is out injured. I say somewhat as I rate Draper as an up and coming ruck, albeit yet to find his best form in ‘22.

No Roughead will hurt on two fronts - our backline structure looks better for his presence, which allows Moore and Howe to intercept and Wright’s early season form. Play tight and negate Wright and we go a long way towards winning this one.

The selections of Merrett and Stringer standout though. Both obviously keys to Essendon’s midfield and Stringer like DeGoey adds a different layer and also a forward line threat. Should either play it comes across as desperate and at least a little rushed, but there’s a lot on the line for the bombers.

Will the bombers respond to make it back-to-back ANZAC Day wins for the first time since 2005 and a third straight win overall after also beating us in R23 or will the pies re-discover the early season winning ways?

Lest We Forget

83830a10-a218-11eb-aff6-260fe2ed61af

Last edited:

One good thing about The Essendon Drug Scandal was that it reminded us how many mongrels the place has

Favourite sons like Terry Daniher, Bomber, Hird, and Hitman Merrett have all performed low acts

And their Godfather, Sheedy, was a filthy b.a.s.t.a.rd as a Richmond player - Mum swore she saw him spit a huge glob in the face of Peter McKenna

It was a great joy to see us smash them in 1990

And expect we will smash them again this ANZAC Day

Our FF line as listed has a lot of aggression: Adams, Kreuger, and DeGoey; throw in McCreery and the pressure will lead to turnovers

Madge is playing at CHF in his natural role as a decoy

Nick Daicos to rack-up 30+, Pendles to turn back time, and Darce and Jezza to intercept all afternoon

Jordy to kick 6.3 and win the medal

Collingwood by 64 points

Last edited:
Jeez the team we had in last time must have been week.
Yep. DeGoey (inj), Greenwood (inj), Howe (inj), Mayne (inj), and Keane (susp) were forced changes going into ANZAC Day. Plus Adams, Elliott also injured.

Would be interesting to see the stats and how many we’ve won when both Adams and DeGoey are absent in recent years. Feels like we lose most games without that pair.

1650805582015.png

Edit: looking at the teams I think we were experimenting with Moore forward too.

Yep. DeGoey (inj), Greenwood (inj), Howe (inj), Mayne (inj), and Keane (susp) were forced changes going into ANZAC Day. Plus Adams, Elliott also injured.

Would be interesting to see the stats and how many we’ve won when both Adams and DeGoey are absent in recent years. Feels like we lose most games without that pair.

View attachment 1383006

Edit: looking at the teams I think we were experimenting with Moore forward too.
Yeah think that was the game they flipped kelly and moore. at different stages of the game.
No wonder Kelly got whiplash lol

Huge day today, one of the best on the sporting calander! Pays our respects to those that scarified to allow us the freedoms we have today, then hope we can turn it on today in front of a terrific crowd!
Go pies…..
Yep so many too young to have close family members who served in those early campaigns - I spent a few quiet moments at the dawn service this morning thinking of my two uncles who fell - one at Flanders and one at Lone Pine.

We have much to be thankful for and this game on this day commemorates that Anzac tradition of mateship and loyalty.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

First game the G for my boy today and I'm a bit nervous on his behalf, I must admit. His first Collingwood game was a ripping win against the Lions at the Gabba a few years ago so I'm hoping this will be as enjoyable.

It'll be a great experience no matter what but if we can play well and walk away with a win it would be a beautiful thing, off the back of watching the sunrise from the TW Sherrin Stand at Vic Park to pay our respects, and kicking a few Daicosian checksides and bananas from the boundary.

Go Pies!!!!!

To misquote my old mate Mick, I honestly can’t see us losing this one. Essendon’s ordinariness has finally caught up with them, after hiding away for some of last season. And we have some real goers in our side.

Mistakes will be made, contracts will be posted about, umpires’ reputations will be trashed, and Essendon fans will get sh*tty in the particular way of Bombers fans (I can’t stand them).

But Pies will prevail by 25 points.

As posted previously, common sense told me to back Pendlebury or JDG for the ANZAC day medal, but instead I've chucked a cheeky 5er on Kreuger at $67.

Just thought I'd post that here so we can ask bask in my glory if he kicks 5 and ends up with a medal hanging from his neck.
Imagine the Essenboo fan’s reaction if Pendlebury gets the medal and moves ahead of Hird? They were salty enough when he drew level with his third ANZAC medal. Never boo a champion!

Not surprised to see DeGoey favourite, Crisp looks to be slightly better value and Moore in the 40-50s is tantalising. Nick Daicos looks too short in the odds for mine, but I sense hype is a factor there.

High standard OP.

Agree

barrackers is a generous contributor

I was thinking how professional and easy on the eye it looked! Now you're apologising because of a 'limited format'! :rolleyes:
Just being harsh on myself more than anything as there were a few things I had in mind around headers, backgrounds and team comparisons that I couldn’t accomplish on my phone. Some still made the OP as text instead of images while others I left out.

For example I think the list/team profile of Essendon is an intriguing comparison in terms of age, games played and roles.

Last edited:
Just being harsh on myself more than anything as there were a few things I had in mind around headers, backgrounds and team comparisons that I couldn’t accomplish on my phone. Some still made the OP as text instead of images while others I left out.
On your phone! All I can do on my phone is text and take photos.

And I was thinking the professional look would ensure no one else gets the job of doing the game OP. Silly me. So easily fooled. If I explored the publishing possibilities of my iphone 6, perhaps I too could be apologising for the fancy bits and pieces that could never make the final cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back