Brownlow 2022 Brownlow Medal Discussion - Touk Miller 3rd place. 27 votes

Remove this Banner Ad

No issue with players being able to win it after they have been suspended and I think it’s time they removed that rule but I take issue with the fact that Cripps

A) managed to overturn his suspension after 2 seperate appeals from an act that was very clearly worth a suspension
B) he won it on the back of a 3 he earned from a game they lost, that he was meant to be suspended for

Touk still wouldn’t have won, but it doesn’t sit right that Cripps did after that saga.

Also personally thought he was gifted a lot of votes in the middle of the year in games he played very average in

No issue with players being able to win it after they have been suspended and I think it’s time they removed that rule but I take issue with the fact that Cripps

A) managed to overturn his suspension after 2 seperate appeals from an act that was very clearly worth a suspension
B) he won it on the back of a 3 he earned from a game they lost, that he was meant to be suspended for

Touk still wouldn’t have won, but it doesn’t sit right that Cripps did after that saga.

Also personally thought he was gifted a lot of votes in the middle of the year in games he played very average in
I didn't follow the Cripps suspension saga but read today that he only got off because the lawyers argued that proper process was not followed by the tribunal and therefore their decision was overturned. Not that his act was agreed to be legal.

with all due respect to Holman, dunno if he should be anywhere near the BL awards.

Given the guys we got touring Europe right now though, maybe we didn't have a lot of options left.
I am biased but why not? Yes, he did not go there to win it (similar to Chol and others). Finished 9th B&F despite missing 3 games, member of leadership group. Very happy for Holman to represent Suns. We are lucky to have him. He's great for building the club culture.

But yes, Anderson would probably replace him or Chol.

BTW, IMO, Brownlow is a s**t award. Basically midfielder award decided by subjective umpires. What a joke. I am sure defenders, forwards are thrilled when they get sometimes a couple of points too.

So 25 disposals, 1 goal and 7 tackles isn't enough for you to give him a vote?
Well Secco kicked 6, Dave had 33 touches, 1 goal and 9 marks, Noah had 30 touches, 1 goal and 13 score involvements.
Reckon they were the clear best 3 on ground.

He umpired 6 of our games this year - R3 v Giants, R5 v Saints, R10 v Bulldogs, R15 v Power, R16 v Magpies & R20 v Eagles. Here are Touk's performances in those games and the corresponding Brownlow votes given:

R3 v Giants: 17 disposals, 3 clearances, 3 tackles - 0 Brownlow votes
R5 v Saints: 32 disposals (game high), 6 clearances - 1 Brownlow vote
R10 v Bulldogs: 19 disposals, 5 clearances, 5 tackles - 0 Brownlow votes
R15 v Power: 30 disposals (game high), 9 clearances, 10 tackles - 2 Brownlow votes
R16 v Magpies: 31 disposals, 10 clearances, 10 tackles - 2 Brownlow votes
R20 v Eagles: 31 disposals (game high), 15 clearances, 10 tackles - 3 Brownlow votes

Reminder: Touk finished just two Brownlow votes behind the winner Patrick Cripps.

He umpired 6 of our games this year - R3 v Giants, R5 v Saints, R10 v Bulldogs, R15 v Power, R16 v Magpies & R20 v Eagles. Here are Touk's performances in those games and the corresponding Brownlow votes given:

R15 v Power: 30 disposals (game high), 9 clearances, 10 tackles - 2 Brownlow votes
R20 v Eagles: 31 disposals (game high), 15 clearances, 10 tackles - 3 Brownlow votes

Reminder: Touk finished just two Brownlow votes behind the winner Patrick Cripps.
He definitely didn't get more than he deserved in those games. Maybe you could argue that he could have got the 3 against Collingwood or Port and maybe another vote against Saints but overall pretty fair you would have to say.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely nothing wrong with those votes.
Also this umpire leaked the votes not took bribes to give players certain votes so I'm not sure what the point of this is?

He definitely didn't get more than he deserved in those games. Maybe you could argue that he could have got the 3 against Collingwood or Port and maybe another vote against Saints but overall pretty fair you would have to say.
When it's such a fine margin between Cripps (29), Neale (28) and Miller (27), a single game can make all the difference. He also umpired this one:

R6 Carlton v Fremantle
3 votes: P.Cripps - 32 disposals, 8 clearances, 5 tackles
Note: Carlton lost this game by 35 points. Sam Walsh had 36 disposals, 3 clearances and 4 tackles and didn't get a single vote. Cerra had 32 disposals, 7 clearances, 5 tackles and also received no votes but Cripps received the full 3 votes.

Absolutely nothing wrong with those votes.

Also this umpire leaked the votes not took bribes to give players certain votes so I'm not sure what the point of this is?
What about the game above?

I suppose I'm questioning how far this scandal reaches. If he was willing to leak confidential information then what else could he have gotten up to?

When it's such a fine margin between Cripps (29), Neale (28) and Miller (27), a single game can make all the difference. He also umpired this one:

R6 Carlton v Fremantle
3 votes: P.Cripps - 32 disposals, 8 clearances, 5 tackles
Note: Carlton lost this game by 35 points. Sam Walsh had 36 disposals, 3 clearances and 4 tackles and didn't get a single vote. Cerra also had 32 disposals, 7 clearances, 5 tackles and also received no votes but Cripps received the full 3 votes.

What about the game above?

I suppose I'm questioning how far this scandal reaches. If he was willing to leak confidential information then what else could he have gotten up to?
You got 3 umpires deciding together on votes. It seems the issue is that he shared the info. Unless every time 3 different umpires conspired together. Votes seem fair to me for Suns games.

Last edited:
You got 3 umpires deciding together on votes. It seems the issue is that he shared the info. Unless every time 3 different umpires conspired together. Votes seem fair to me for Suns games.

The Brownlow voting process is starting to come into question. The article above mentions a round 13 game that Pell was involved in where Mihocek received three votes as an example of potential biased voting. Again, when the difference between Cripps (29), Neale (28) and Touk (27) was just two votes, even just one game being affected by this guy could be enough to cost someone a Brownlow. Even if you feel the votes in the Suns games were right, that doesn't mean the votes given to Cripps or Neale were.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back