Autopsy Round 11 vs Western Bulldogs @ TIO Stadium, Darwin - 27/05/23 - 7:25pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Well done Gold Coast, played very well yesterday, and deserved the win, if we had pinched it it wouldn’t have been deserved.

You have a beauty in Humphrey, and you don’t seem to be missing Touk at all, which is a good sign and a worry for the rest of the competition.

I agree some of the umpiring in that last quarter was bewildering, but I wouldn’t be listening to Brisbane supporters who lead the free kick count and the fact that Gold Coast rarely loses the free kick count.

Free kicks shouldn't be even because then what's the point in them?

The fact that the suns won contested footy and the tackle count but lost the free kick count is what doesn't make sense.

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

We really unearthed a bloody gem in Humper. Could be the best player from this draft when all is said and done.
Never forget we secured Humphrey by trading Rankine for Adelaide's first rounder and we know the Demons were very keen to trade up the draft order to secure Humphrey before we could. So I'm not sure our original pick 7 would have cut it but Adelaide's pick 5 meant the Dees were unable to trade into a position to draft Humper. Rankine is great and he'll have an awesome career but Humphrey looks like the next Petracca and could end up being one of the best players in the league if he continues this trajectory.

It's a bit like the Weller trade where it's viewed as more of a win for us now but originally it looked like Fremantle won the trade. Even the commentators last night were talking about how Ballard tipped the Weller trade in our favour. Trades are what you make of them and it looks like we got the absolute most out of the Rankine trade by securing a special talent named Bailey Humphrey.

I don’t believe free kicks should be even. Last night, for instance, I wasn’t complaining too much about the lack of frees we were given in the first half (we had 2, both in a row, late in the 2nd btw), but more so the frees given to Bulldogs in that time.

But the fact the free kick count wasn’t close to even wasn’t unfair; just odd.

Now the second half however… I think you’ll find a t widely accepted it was not correctly adjudicated in our favour in several instances.

But Suns rarely “win” the count, usually by a couple, if at all, and had a lot of even ledgers. Still down across the season and in the bottom half dozen teams. This link you posted was also from rd 8, so doesn’t take into account recent games that people on this thread are complaining about.
I couldn’t find a more updated table, but I don’t think the dogs have jumped from 10th to 1st. But as I said, very bewildering umpiring in that last quarter.

Good luck, really hope you make finals.

I don't think enough has been made of the fact that we just beat a top 6 team that was on a five game winning streak. Especially with the pressure that the team/Dew has been under lately.

Side note: Did anyone else think it was a nice touch to have Michael Long in the crowd watching his nephew Ben play for the red and gold?

I didn't get the chance to watch the game live and only had a look at the quarter by quarter scores and was pleasantly surprised to see we got up by 7 points.
I just finished watching the replay and my wife questioned why I was yelling at the TV when I already knew that the Mighty Suns got the win.
If anyone at AFL House doesn't believe about unconscious bias they seriously should watch this game. The umpiring was appalling.
Despite what I was yelling at the TV this morning I don't believe that they are actively cheating.
So onto the game.
A slow start and then a good comeback. Dogs looked like they had the better of the contest but the Suns just kept on coming back.
Ballard was huge all game and both Collins and Mac had moments. Our smalls were good. The whole defense played well with the amount of ball coming in.
Midfield killed it and fantastic to see both Rowell and Ando have important dominant games supported well by Swallow, Bear and Davies. Witta was huge all over the ground and doesn't get enough credit outside of the Suns.
The forward line was excellent for the amount and quality of scores for the limited entries. Ainsworth was very good and unlucky not to have kicked a couple more goals. Luko was good as were Holman and Berry with their pressure. Ben kicked a couple and was an option all night.
Very pleased with the win and hope we can continue with the effort next week and only have to beat the 22 wearing Crom jumpers

Never forget we secured Humphrey by trading Rankine for Adelaide's first rounder and we know the Demons were very keen to trade up the draft order to secure Humphrey before we could. So I'm not sure our original pick 7 would have cut it but Adelaide's pick 5 meant the Dees were unable to trade into a position to draft Humper. Rankine is great and he'll have an awesome career but Humphrey looks like the next Petracca and could end up being one of the best players in the league if he continues this trajectory.

It's a bit like the Weller trade where it's viewed as more of a win for us now but originally it looked like Fremantle won the trade. Even the commentators last night were talking about how Ballard tipped the Weller trade in our favour. Trades are what you make of them and it looks like we got the absolute most out of the Rankine trade by securing a special talent named Bailey Humphrey.

Adelaide could have had this kid and arguably need Humphrey more than Rankine given they have Rachele but lack explosive mids. Humphrey would have cost 1/8th in salary as what Rankine did too. Karma is a bitch, thanks for allowing us to unearth the next Petracca/De Goey style top 10-20 mid lol

The other incredible thing is Humphrey still only played 70% game time.

I don't think people are concerned by getting pick 5 for rankine, it was more needlessly giving up pick 7 for no good reason. The whole top 10 look like stars, so could have gotten two bites at the cherry. Once seeing multiple clubs interest in Bowes, the suns should have pulled the deal by instead offering a second rounder, it's still a good deal for the other club, particularly when the afl let them split Bowes salary over years.

Humphrey does look amazing though, the one knock on him was his kicking, but even that looks elite now at AFL level.

Well done Gold Coast, played very well yesterday, and deserved the win, if we had pinched it it wouldn’t have been deserved.

You have a beauty in Humphrey, and you don’t seem to be missing Touk at all, which is a good sign and a worry for the rest of the competition.

I agree some of the umpiring in that last quarter was bewildering, but I wouldn’t be listening to Brisbane supporters who lead the free kick count and the fact that Gold Coast rarely loses the free kick count.

Not usually shitting on the umpires but yesterday was outright cheating.

That link you've shown was from round 8, it's currently round 11 so in 3 rounds

Round 9 - WCE @ Optus - WCE 22-14 GCS
Round 10 - BL @ GABBA - BL 20-16 GCS
Round 11 - WB @ TIO - WB 22- 13 GCS

all those games had alot of free kick's going to our opposition early, if i can recall WCE & WB games the count was 8-0 in favour to our opposition.

Not usually shitting on the umpires but yesterday was outright cheating.

That link you've shown was from round 8, it's currently round 11 so in 3 rounds

Round 9 - WCE @ Optus - WCE 22-14 GCS
Round 10 - BL @ GABBA - BL 20-16 GCS
Round 11 - WB @ TIO - WB 22- 13 GCS

all those games had alot of free kick's going to our opposition early, if i can recall WCE & WB games the count was 8-0 in favour to our opposition.
Might be worth having a meeting with the umpiring dept to get some feedback.

The Ainsworth 50 was obviously diabolical, but we had the exact same situation against lukosius in Melbourne game.
Might have been 0.5m over the mark, No instructions just marched 50 with Jordan kicking a goal.

I don't think enough has been made of the fact that we just beat a top 6 team that was on a five game winning streak. Especially with the pressure that the team/Dew has been under lately.

Side note: Did anyone else think it was a nice touch to have Michael Long in the crowd watching his nephew Ben play for the red and gold?

Or how good the dogs were at the start… I thought the suns were going to be 40 points plus down at quarter time

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just watched the replay. Obviously Rowelly, Charlie and Luko were terrific but that was a tremendous team effort overall. Rowelly to me is back to playing like he did in juniors - his sheer will dragging his team to victory.

Seeing Rowell, Noah and Humphrey in the middle together was very exciting. When Touk comes back I think we’ll finally have the depth of talent through the midfield to compete with the best teams. Amazing how quickly Bailey has come on. As one of the commentators said he already looks like a 100 game player. Just give him a couple more preseasons to lose the puppy fat, build his tank up, then look out!

Andrew and Jeffrey in the backline just looks to give our defence a much needed boost of speed, skill, height and x-factor, even if both are still inexperienced. Give them some time to gel with Charlie, Sarge and co. and they will blossom.

I know the conditions weren’t ideal for talls, but this game once again reaffirmed that we don’t need the 4 tall setup.

Luko is more than good enough to play the second target role when Casboult is in the ruck and we are almost always going to have at least 2 of King/Lukosius/ Casboult to target. Just no need for the extra tall.

Seeing Rowell, Noah and Humphrey in the middle together was very exciting. When Touk comes back I think we’ll finally have the depth of talent through the midfield to compete with the best teams.
Don't forget we're also going to add Jake Rogers to that midfield soon and he looks elite as well. You can already see the makings of a premiership midfield!

Don't forget we're also going to add Jake Rogers to that midfield soon and he looks elite as well. You can already see the makings of a premiership midfield!
I think it might take Jake a little while to force his way in (might need to play a small forward role at first), but he definitely looks capable and with his attributes will add another point of difference to our midfield.

id love to see Budarick go into the guts one day, don't want him to just be a back pocket.

Speed, class, tackling pressure, skills has em all just not elite in any just yet.

Rory Laird 2.0 ? Back pocket to Midfielder

Nick Holman having his best year to date.

13.5 possessions, 1 goal (career high), 0.8 goal assists (career high), 5 tackles per game
Top 10 in the league for tackles inside 50.

Kicked goals in his last 6 games, never had >4 consecutive games with goals previously.

We're expecting this guy to be superseded at some point.
But could we actually see him continue to improve? Still only 27.

Nick Holman having his best year to date.

13.5 possessions, 1 goal (career high), 0.8 goal assists (career high), 5 tackles per game
Top 10 in the league for tackles inside 50.

Kicked goals in his last 6 games, never had >4 consecutive games with goals previously.

We're expecting this guy to be superseded at some point.
But could we actually see him continue to improve? Still only 27.
I’m definitely someone who was calling for him to be phased out.

But he is doing everything I wanted him to do, which was get involved in more scores and more goals himself. He is our best performing small forward so far.

Need more from our other smalls to really lift the team. Luko and King are carrying the load right now.

We really unearthed a bloody gem in Humper. Could be the best player from this draft when all is said and done.
Melbourne seem to be good judges as I read that they were prepared to send the Bombers 3 first rounds picks in order to get 4 off Essendon for Humper. Probably saw their chance to get another Oliver calibre type player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back