Review Round 12 vs Adelaide Crows @ TIO Stadium, Darwin - 03/06/23 - 7:30pm

Remove this Banner Ad

I was wrong, about Lukosius playing as a key forward.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I too was wrong as I was previously concerned with the lack of physicality and the double grabbing on marks.

Still thinking he's not the KEY forward, as they've got Casboult doing the dirty work. He's more the Gunston role which I'm more than happy for him to play, especially with a Jed Walters showing up next year which would allow us to play 3 talls up forward.

As a result of playing the 3 talls, to apply the pressure we are playing the real pressure forwards (Holman, Rosa's, Berry) as opposed to a pure goal kicking small (Sexton).

Now just got to keep that intensity up,your pressure was top 6 imo in the last half of game.
The umps ,not sure as I thought earlier you were getting rheemed.
Then I thought a few more 50/50s going your way,that’s certainly not taking anything away from the fact the suns were harder and relentless at the footy and kept following up at the next contest.
Get behind the boys ,was a great game to watch.
yeah did feel a bit like a water heater was getting stuck up our ass again

Also, are there a bigger bunch of whiny, insecure supporters on here than the Adelaide bunch?

Most supporter groups don’t need to hit us with the ‘plastic’ ‘no fans’ etc after a game because it’s low hanging fruit and just a bit sad really.

But even before tonight, a lot of them just really seem to hate our existence I’ve noticed and I don’t really understand why? There’s never been any tension between the 2 before the Rankine trade?

Feels good man.
1685845442181.gif

Shoutout to all the Suns fans showing up in the main board thread (and other places) after the Crom fans tried to dismiss us by saying we have no fans. Not only did we beat Adelaide but we also drowned them out with noise.

We're growing both on and off the field and they have absolutely no idea how to respond to it 😂

Shoutout to all the Suns fans showing up in the main board thread (and other places) after the Crom fans tried to dismiss us by saying we have no fans. Not only did we beat Adelaide but we also drowned them out with noise.

We're growing both on and off the field and they have absolutely no idea how to respond to it 😂
haha
I was flogging it up for sure. Just stooping to their level really.

Can't believe they were complaining about their fixture because they had to play Hawthorn in Tasmania, Dogs in Ballarat and Suns in Darwin.

They literally got an extra home game this year playing Carlton at Adelaide Oval which was labelled as 'neutral'

SandyToes I rewatched from the point we were down 16-52 as you suggested.

Agree Fiorini was important in turning things around.
Didn't do anything particularly special but just body lined the ball when he had to
6 possessions, 4 intercept possessions in the 2nd quarter

Definitely playing tougher this year than he has in years past.
Wanting to get to the ball first and make it his.

In previously years would have slowed down, waiting for the opposition to grab it and then lay a weak tackle.

What an amazing week for all involved with the Suns.
1 Beat a quality Bulldogs despite a few obstacles.
2 Bailey Humphrey extends for 4 Years
3 Come from along way behind to beat the Crows.
4 Our Academy kids shine for the Allies against SA.
After starting the year not sure where we were at ,have to say the light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter
by the day.
Not only was Humphreys extension exciting but his glowing endorsement of his teammates and coach
shows the clubs culture is at an all time high.
Highlight for me in the Adelaide win was that after a very slow start we had 23 players who all made some
contribution towards the win.
I have always believed for us to become a long term serious club we needed our Academy to regularly
produce best 22 quality players.
We should be all very excited about what is coming to us ine the next couple of drafts.
Looking forward to peaceful weekend .

What an amazing week for all involved with the Suns.
1 Beat a quality Bulldogs despite a few obstacles.
2 Bailey Humphrey extends for 4 Years
3 Come from along way behind to beat the Crows.
4 Our Academy kids shine for the Allies against SA.
After starting the year not sure where we were at ,have to say the light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter
by the day.
Not only was Humphreys extension exciting but his glowing endorsement of his teammates and coach
shows the clubs culture is at an all time high.
Highlight for me in the Adelaide win was that after a very slow start we had 23 players who all made some
contribution towards the win.
I have always believed for us to become a long term serious club we needed our Academy to regularly
produce best 22 quality players.
We should be all very excited about what is coming to us ine the next couple of drafts.
Looking forward to peaceful weekend .
download (11).jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just wanted to sum up the takeaways from the trip to Darwin in writing.

Lukosius has found his feet

Dewball goes up to 11 in Darwin

The defence is really taking shape

Finally closed out two close games late

Gold Coast Suns: Takeaways from the trip to Darwin
A surprising move was to play Luko predominantly as a deep forward against Crows.
lukosius-v-adelaide-755x515.jpg

Just wanted to sum up the takeaways from the trip to Darwin in writing.

Lukosius has found his feet

Dewball goes up to 11 in Darwin

The defence is really taking shape

Finally closed out two close games late

Gold Coast Suns: Takeaways from the trip to Darwin
Reading your takeaways, I would agree with most.

According to champion data yesterday on SEN, after round 5, Suns are 3rd most difficult to score against, and also 3rd to score from inside 50 (or something like that). We are also now the best in contest post clearances according to King which is kind of amazing especially considering we were one of the worst teams in this category early.

I think our appetite for contest and pressure bodes well for finals once we get there.

No doubt, our midfield mostly stood up after Miller's injury except Lions game. Considering how young and inexperienced they are we can look forward with optimism. The determination, taking over attitude, never give up, fighting qualities of Rowell and others are great to see.

I noticed some people were not overly impressed with Davies but by re-watching I liked him, and he did a good job. IMO, he fits well into our future. He did a lot of hard work (12 contested possessions) and had similar numbers to Humphrey's ones.

I would say Collins won his battle with Walker. Just hate push in the back no calls.

Witts is unbelievable this year and destroyed ROB. I don't think he lost any of ruck battles this year.

Jeffrey is a great talent regardless of where he plays. I still expect him to end up forward.

Long was quite unbelievable in both games. Home crowd motivated him.

It was team performances in both games. I was wondering who will be substituted against Crows as all players played roles. You look at players like Atkins and can't believe that he seems to turn it around.

Plenty still to work on. We did start slowly in both games which is not ideal. Some red time goals really hurt us. 2 goals by Crows in last min in 3rd quarter, there is no excuse for it. Against Bulldogs, their number of inside 50 was staggering.

Hopefully, the team will continue after bye with the same effort and we have a shot at finals.

Yeah on the highlights you see Davies outbodies Chayce Jones and almost takes a contested mark after kick down the line. Manages to control the ball at ground level, handball off to running Ainsworth who goes on the left inside 50. Lukosius works man under the ball and manages to snap the goal.

Davies doesn’t get much credit for something like this. Needs to continue to make use of his size.

Amazingly AFL stats say he has had 6 shots at goal this year for 0 goals. Keeping dangerous in forward line by winning holding ball free kicks, applying pressure or taking a mark and kicking an odd goal would make him a solid player. Still working at some of those things.

I noticed some people were not overly impressed with Davies but by re-watching I liked him, and he did a good job. IMO, he fits well into our future. He did a lot of hard work (12 contested possessions) and had similar numbers to Humphrey's ones.

A lot of people are hard on Davies but forgetting he’s only played 23 games

Agree on Davies - does a lot of work that goes unnoticed because it’s not spectacular. Can’t see him being dropped on current form as some have suggested.

Witta and Spitta are just so reliably good and consistent that they often appear to be underrated when it comes to handing out votes. Witta was huge.

If we're happy with him being a B grade mid on B grade money he's a keeper
I guess we're over B graders getting superstar wages
Considering the noise around how much we are paying Humpher sounds like we are also past paying kids way to much to stay as well.

I too was wrong as I was previously concerned with the lack of physicality and the double grabbing on marks.

Still thinking he's not the KEY forward, as they've got Casboult doing the dirty work. He's more the Gunston role which I'm more than happy for him to play, especially with a Jed Walters showing up next year which would allow us to play 3 talls up forward.

As a result of playing the 3 talls, to apply the pressure we are playing the real pressure forwards (Holman, Rosa's, Berry) as opposed to a pure goal kicking small (Sexton).
Great shout, reckon this should be the blueprint for Luko. He has all the tools to do this.

Walters, King, Luko up forward will be dynamite.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back