Review Round 12 vs Adelaide Crows @ TIO Stadium, Darwin - 03/06/23 - 7:30pm

Remove this Banner Ad

DarWIN Part II

Another 8 point swing game for us against the 10th placed Crows. Win this one and we're guaranteed to be tied with the 8th placed Dockers due to the fact that Freo have the bye. A win also gets us back to an even ledger with 6 wins / 6 losses and then the boys get a well earned break with the round 13 bye. Should get a few back after the bye like Weller, potentially Budarick and Lemmo shouldn't be far off too. Starting to look like Touk will return in the round 16-18 range. So I think we just need to do everything we possibly can to get the win against the Crows and keep building momentum into a big second half of the season. Two very winnable games against Carlton and Hawthorn to follow after our bye.

We'll get a good look at the Crows tomorrow and hopefully the Lions beat them up both physically and on the scoreboard. They've named Tex Walker and Riley Thilthorpe to return for the game tomorrow so it'll be interesting to see if those two can come back and have an immediate impact. Jordan Dawson seems to be the danger man for the Crows and obviously we need to make sure Rankine doesn't tear the game apart. I tend to think we'll get on top of them in the midfield and perhaps the conditions will favour us once again like it did tonight. As for us, I'd be tempted to name Day instead of Casboult after he kicked 4 goals in the VFL and it's worth mentioning it would be Day's 150th if he did play so the boys would probably be keen to get up for him.

Would be a massive relief for Dewy if we snatch this one. We seem to produce wins when the pressure is really on and it's definitely still on.

DarWIN Part II

Another 8 point swing game for us against the 10th placed Crows. Win this one and we're guaranteed to be tied with the 8th placed Dockers due to the fact that Freo have the bye. A win also gets us back to an even ledger with 6 wins / 6 losses and then the boys get a well earned break with the round 13 bye. Should get a few back after the bye like Weller, potentially Budarick and Lemmo shouldn't be far off too. Starting to look like Touk will return in the round 16-18 range. So I think we just need to do everything we possibly can to get the win against the Crows and keep building momentum into a big second half of the season. Two very winnable games against Carlton and Hawthorn to follow after our bye.

We'll get a good look at the Crows tomorrow and hopefully the Lions beat them up both physically and on the scoreboard. They've named Tex Walker and Riley Thilthorpe to return for the game tomorrow so it'll be interesting to see if those two can come back and have an immediate impact. Jordan Dawson seems to be the danger man for the Crows and obviously we need to make sure Rankine doesn't tear the game apart. I tend to think we'll get on top of them in the midfield and perhaps the conditions will favour us once again like it did tonight. As for us, I'd be tempted to name Day instead of Casboult after he kicked 4 goals in the VFL and it's worth mentioning it would be Day's 150th if he did play so the boys would probably be keen to get up for him.

Would be a massive relief for Dewy if we snatch this one. We seem to produce wins when the pressure is really on and it's definitely still on.
Absolutely not bringing in Day over Casboult. Levi work around the ground shits on anything Day brings.

Absolutely not bringing in Day over Casboult. Levi work around the ground shits on anything Day brings.
Not saying we should. Just saying Day played well in the VFL and I don't think the Darwin conditions really suit Levi's contested marking game. The standouts in the VFL were probably Ellis with 23 disposals, 6 clearances, 5 tackles, 2 goals and Sam Day with his 4 goals.

Do we bring Ellis back into the team for Fiorini?

Wouldn't be against farrar getting a spot on fiorini wing. Think we need to keep mixing it up on the wings as we don't have any recognised wingmen playing. Liked ainsworth having time there and if weller is fit he could obviously play there but I'm not too keen for Ellis to come back in.

Wouldn't be against farrar getting a spot on fiorini wing. Think we need to keep mixing it up on the wings as we don't have any recognised wingmen playing. Liked ainsworth having time there and if weller is fit he could obviously play there but I'm not too keen for Ellis to come back in.
Ellis was rated best on in our VFL game so it'd be a bit stiff to leave him out but I can also understand the hesitation. Jeffrey down back does up open a spot for someone to play higher up the ground and I'd personally like to see a healthy Weller on the wing as opposed to Ellis.

Weller was in the rooms after the win last night so I assume that means he's going to spend the week in Darwin with the boys and is potentially available for selection in the Crows game. I'd really like to see Weller return but I also don't want the same thing that happened last time where we rush him back and lose him at a crucial moment late in the season. Tough decision.

If Jeffrey goes back, we can just push Atkins back onto a wing, he doesn't really defend that much.

Hopefully hits his 2017 Adelaide form now we are up and about.

I like Farrar but vanilla, speed is nice but rarely gets to use it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ellis was rated best on in our VFL game so it'd be a bit stiff to leave him out but I can also understand the hesitation. Jeffrey down back does up open a spot for someone to play higher up the ground and I'd personally like to see a healthy Weller on the wing as opposed to Ellis.

Weller was in the rooms after the win last night so I assume that means he's going to spend the week in Darwin with the boys and is potentially available for selection in the Crows game. I'd really like to see Weller return but I also don't want the same thing that happened last time where we rush him back and lose him at a crucial moment late in the season. Tough decision.
Weller won't be playing this week.

Brisbane proved tonight that woeful kicking in front of goal just won't get the job done against the Crows. 10.18 (35%) in front of the big sticks is a really poor kicking night yet they were considerably better last week against us when they kicked 16.11 (60%). We need to kick straight if we want the 4 points.

Also worth pointing out that Adelaide play much better at the Adelaide Oval and we won't have to deal with that in Darwin.

Brisbane proved tonight that woeful kicking in front of goal just won't get the job done against the Crows. 10.18 (35%) in front of the big sticks is a really poor kicking night yet they were considerably better last week against us when they kicked 16.11 (60%). We need to kick straight if we want the 4 points.

Also worth pointing out that Adelaide play much better at the Adelaide Oval and we won't have to deal with that in Darwin.
From what I saw, it looked slippery. The temperature will be different, but can’t rely on experience in the conditions to net us the win. Gotta win from the centre and keep players like Tex and Rankine from having an impact.

I did hear some commentators on the ABC I think it was say Darwin is absolutely a Crows town with the amount of support they have, so the crowd factor might come into it?

You may!

Weller has a partially torn ACL. Only very minor.
Not great a news. Hawks Lewis had a partial tear in pre-season and missed first 7-8 games. Obviously, it depends on how minor. No risk please. Interestingly, Weller was listed as 2 weeks before last week. Did they just find out or is it a fresh injury during rehab?

Last edited:
Not great a news. Hawks Lewis had a partial tear in pre-season and missed first 7-8 games. Obviously, it depends on how minor. No risk please. Interestingly, Weller was listed as 2 weeks before last week. Did they just find out or is it a fresh injury during rehab?
If I were to hazard a guess, I'd say the swelling went down and it still wasn't good which is then when it's been discovered.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back