2022 Club Financial Results

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting, for all the s**t the Giants cop from the media up there, they are on par with a number of NRL clubs that have been in western sydney for decades.

With the AFL and marvel, the work taken to manage a stadium for an 8 mill profit doesn't seem worth it, not when you are raking in around 800 mill revenue per year elsewhere. Perhaps this years Harry Styles concerts will create a windfall, however I'm sure last year had some big name non footy events too.

Interesting, for all the s**t the Giants cop from the media up there, they are on par with a number of NRL clubs that have been in western sydney for decades.

It's the problem sporting team has in Sydney trying to compete nationally - Sydney people just don't attend sport, at least not in the numbers the rest of the country does. GWS had a bigger crowd than 2 NRL games in Sydney and the Wanderers over the weekend so from a Sydney perspective their game got a reasonable attendance. But from an AFL viewpoint it was an awful turnup and the reality is their competition is other AFL teams first and foremost.

You have to give the Swans credit for being where they are in that market.

oh yeah. uploaded like a week ago. All links below.

A discussion came up on and AFL Reserves competition but it got me wondering.

Does the AFL contribute funding towards flights and accomodation in the VFL?

If yes, would this get counted in the distributions the AFL makes to clubs? Such as adding to how much goes to the four NSW/QLD teams who also have to fly their reserves team interstate every second week.

Whereas the Victorian teams only travel every six weeks and the WA/SA teams who are involved in their relevant state leagues. Meaning they wouldn’t need so much financial assistance for these costs.

I do wonder whether clubs or the league deal with hotels and the like

I know here in Adelaide I've seen Sydney using the Ibis Hotel, as well as seeing St Kilda using the Mayfair Hotel. And I've been told that Essendon used the Crowne Plaza (back when it was in the current Pullman site)

I know Adelaide uses the Pullman Melbourne on Park when they play at the MCG, and the Movenpick Hotel in Hobart.

If it wern't for St Kilda/Essendon I'd guess the AFL (As Ibis/Pullman/Movenpick are all Accor) but who knows, in thinking each club does it themselves (Which makes me wonder what St Kilda's on, you're in debt and you're booking one of, if not the best hotel in Adelaide?).

Having said that, who knows.

It made the news when Port Adelaide were playing in China, most of the team were flown directly from Adelaide to Shanghai via wherever as that airline sponsored Port Adelaide, however, half a dozen players had to go another routing with another airline as there wern't enough business class seats available for them all on one flight.

I do wonder whether clubs or the league deal with hotels and the like

I know here in Adelaide I've seen Sydney using the Ibis Hotel, as well as seeing St Kilda using the Mayfair Hotel. And I've been told that Essendon used the Crowne Plaza (back when it was in the current Pullman site)

I know Adelaide uses the Pullman Melbourne on Park when they play at the MCG, and the Movenpick Hotel in Hobart.

If it wern't for St Kilda/Essendon I'd guess the AFL (As Ibis/Pullman/Movenpick are all Accor) but who knows, in thinking each club does it themselves (Which makes me wonder what St Kilda's on, you're in debt and you're booking one of, if not the best hotel in Adelaide?).

Having said that, who knows.

It made the news when Port Adelaide were playing in China, most of the team were flown directly from Adelaide to Shanghai via wherever as that airline sponsored Port Adelaide, however, half a dozen players had to go another routing with another airline as there wern't enough business class seats available for them all on one flight.

Accor was the AFLs partner from 2014 untril last year.

The AFL is proud to announce AccorHotels has extended its partnership, as the AFL's Official Hotel Partner, for the next four years.

In an exciting new addition to the current partnership, AccorHotels will provide career opportunities in hospitality to AFLW players allowing them the flexibility to compete at the elite level, and a shared commitment to increasing employment and development opportunities for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples through AccorHotels' Indigenous Employment Program.

The Indigenous Employment Program provides direct and program specific recruitment from casual, part-time and full-time roles. Confirmed program candidates will undertake a five-day employment program followed by mentoring, feedback and a job offer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With attendances already 1 million more than last year with a round to go, it will be interesting to see where club revenues and profits will be this season.

Last year from memory the clubs added over $100 million to their collective balance sheets. Surely this is greatly exceeded this year? Pretty sure there was only a marginal increase in the soft cap and the CBA still hasn't been negotiated.

It's interesting the amount of revenue these stadiums make, 160 million, yet only turn a profit of a few million. Obviously concious of the fact they still have loans they are paying off. But the sheer running costs of a stadium are massive.

The whole model would be set up for cost recovery.

It is ultimately a cricket club that exists to manage a stadium that is overwhelmingly a football stadium under a social licence that the government can remove.

It's interesting the amount of revenue these stadiums make, 160 million, yet only turn a profit of a few million. Obviously concious of the fact they still have loans they are paying off. But the sheer running costs of a stadium are massive.

The Tennis center across the road from the MCG.

Through the year it holds dozens of concerts and a good number of sporting events (basketball, netball, etc)...probably 100+ days of something on, and has a decent earner from the carpark. I'm told that it (roughly) breaks even during that time. The annual profit is almost entirely from the cut it gets from the ~6 weeks (4 weeks setup, 2 weeks tournament) that it gets handed over to Tennis Australia for the Aus Open.

So yeah, maintenance and running costs are a significant expense.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back