Colonel_Panic

All Australian
Sep 22, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Just wondering how everyone's team value is going at this early stage of the season?

I'm proud of myself for resisting the urge to rage trade premos this year, and I've been (against advice) stacking my bench, so I have a lot sitting there building up $$. I feel like I'm doing okay on this metric, but no doubt there will be others ahead of me in both value and rank.

Let's see 'em!

Me, post-R4:
1649662667749.png

Kelly has been a shocker but hopefully the role and form improves...

I am okay with Steele losing value, but I also have Whit, Grundy, and Gawn too -- generally not a good sign for the end of season with so many high-value guys going down. Hopefully they all end up above water by season's end since I don't think I'm trading them!

Your team value is largely irrelevant at this time of year. If you have someone on the bench worth 400K and a flakey player on-field worth $350k - $400K, you are not going to get a premo with a downgrade/upgrade trade.

Aside from Marshall to Preuss, I've resisted trading out premos, but I've been mindful of who is sitting D6, M8, F6. I've avoided the D6 Russian Roulette by stacking my backline early. Some have lost money, but I'm not copping 30-40 scores. Also avoided Ward's score by looping him, and taking JHF's score.

I've seen teams in my league with incredible benches, but they don't know how to trade. It's all about on-field points and trading, not bench depth.

Your team value is largely irrelevant at this time of year. If you have someone on the bench worth 400K and a flakey player on-field worth $350k - $400K, you are not going to get a premo with a downgrade/upgrade trade.

Aside from Marshall to Preuss, I've resisted trading out premos, but I've been mindful of who is sitting D6, M8, F6. I've avoided the D6 Russian Roulette by stacking my backline early. Some have lost money, but I'm not copping 30-40 scores. Also avoided Ward's score by looping him, and taking JHF's score.

I've seen teams in my league with incredible benches, but they don't know how to trade. It's all about on-field points and trading, not bench depth.
I guess the perspective I'm going with this year is not that bench depth will win me a hat, but that bench depth at this stage of the year should help to buy more on-field points if I spend it wisely at the appropriate time. I mean, that's the game, of course.

But I'm definitely fixing my rookie problems more quickly than I have in previous years; possibly that's been a big thing keeping me from better rankings in the long-term anyway.

I guess the perspective I'm going with this year is not that bench depth will win me a hat, but that bench depth at this stage of the year should help to buy more on-field points if I spend it wisely at the appropriate time. I mean, that's the game, of course.

But I'm definitely fixing my rookie problems more quickly than I have in previous years; possibly that's been a big thing keeping me from better rankings in the long-term anyway.

This year I'm focussing on rankings, which could still win me my cash league. I've listened to podcasts by former high finishers. They all have different strategies when it comes to team structure, but they all say that trading is the key.

If you traded in Rachele, Bowey, McCartin, McInness, Blakey, Foley after they had their initial high score, then you've generated cash because of their low break evens, but you've also copped their subsequent sh@t scores if you fielded them.

My philosophy is that if I'm not comfortable fielding a bench player because they have a low floor, then I'm trading them out before they've maxed in price.

My team value is 16.94m, which seems like the lowest. But I'm comfortable with my on-field players and low value bench.

What's your current rank?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

$17.6M. If I'd started with Brodie over Dangerfield I'd have more points and be over $18M in value. C'est la vie.
Yeah, I reckon there'd be a lot of similar stories if we started an 'If Only' thread.
Mine was starting Marshall over English after tossing up between the two all preseason...

Nice, going well. You're currently 237 points above me at rank 3800. That's with me copping a Cripps 30 and Day subbed 40 on the weekend. That gap might have been a lot close if those two scored their averages or close to it (say an additional 100 at least). Shows just how tight it all is at the moment. We'll have to see how it continues to play out over the season.

Nice, going well. You're currently 237 points above me at rank 3800. That's with me copping a Cripps 30 and Day subbed 40 on the weekend. That gap might have been a lot close if those two scored their averages or close to it (say an additional 100 at least). Shows just how tight it all is at the moment. We'll have to see how it continues to play out over the season.
I copped Cripps as well. I considered Day, and the way he started the game, I was spewing I didn't get him. As you say, 237 points is one bad week for me and one good week for you.

I think the bye rounds can make or break your season. You can't predict what bench cover you will have by then. Plus Covid H&S Protocols is bound to hit popular Fantasy players at some stage. I'm waiting for the carnage.

image_2022-04-12_210256849.png

A week late on O'Driscoll, bringing in Bowey last week instead of ZWilliams or Rioli, not starting English, Heeney or Rioli despite wanting to all pre-season probably what's held it back but can't complain.

Concern now is that A LOT of that value is in mid pricers or hidden on the bench, Rachele, Ralphsmith, Hayes, McC, Ward, MacD all riding the pine while Xerri, Caldwell, Crouch, Bowey, Rowell lie on field.

View attachment 1370836

A week late on O'Driscoll, bringing in Bowey last week instead of ZWilliams or Rioli, not starting English, Heeney or Rioli despite wanting to all pre-season probably what's held it back but can't complain.

Concern now is that A LOT of that value is in mid pricers or hidden on the bench, Rachele, Ralphsmith, Hayes, McC, Ward, MacD all riding the pine while Xerri, Caldwell, Crouch, Bowey, Rowell lie on field.
I'm curious to know who you traded out to get Bowey onto your field. With the amount of cash on your bench, a top 6 defender should have been your target.

Also don't understand why you'd bring in Ralphsmith after he missed rd.1. I like him as a player, and he was in my team until he didn't get selected rd.1. But your bench looks stacked as it is, and Ralphsmith was about $250k. I'd would have been looking to upgrade Caldwell.

I'm curious to know who you traded out to get Bowey onto your field. With the amount of cash on your bench, a top 6 defender should have been your target.

Also don't understand why you'd bring in Ralphsmith after he missed rd.1. I like him as a player, and he was in my team until he didn't get selected rd.1. But your bench looks stacked as it is, and Ralphsmith was about $250k. I'd would have been looking to upgrade Caldwell.

Honestly - I think I've just missed on a few trades. I felt like I nailed my starting squad or close to it, so burnt a few.

Bowey came in for Skinner when he was omitted. It was either Skinner to Bowey/Rioli/Blakey or McCartin to Dawson, Sinclair or Perryman. I elected (incorrectly) to punt Skinner as I felt Bowey had 100+k in him and McCartin 50+k in him, and it bought me time to figure out which premium was the right play (I wasn't, and still aren't, sure about those guys, Dawson is a tag risk, Sinclair I fear for role when Jones/Clark returns, though that concern is diminishing). Daicos moving to D6 down the line also convinced me to sit.

In hindsight McCartin for Dawson or Sinclair probably would have been the play as I'm now going to have to burn an extra trade to flick Bowey.

Ralphsmith was a proper luxury trade. I didn't have any clear fixups following round 2 - at the time I was keen to stick fat with Rowell, Caldwell and Crouch (isn't hindsight a ripper). So I nearly didn't use my second trade until I figured I could go Durdin to Ralphsmith as a proper luxury trade. Which I like - Ralphsmith better cash gen than Durdin especially if the alternative is no trade. And the spare cash I had wasn't going to get a mid pricer to anyone relevant.

At the end of the day I'm top 2k with a sound bench. I'll slip down a bit this week given I'm eating Cripps and Preuss's scores, but reckon come the back end I'll be well placed to storm home.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back