World Cup 2022 Qatar FIFA World Cup (Round of 16) - On SBS

Remove this Banner Ad

Spain's exit from this World Cup was basically a mirror image of what happened in Russia. Against Russia in 2018, they made about 10000000 passes for the match, score one goal, didn't look like scoring more than once and then lost on penalties. Against Morocco, they made about 10000000 passes and lost on penalties. This time though, they didn't score at all. Not even from the penalty spot.
In many of the games watching Spain play, my mate made the same point as me. Spain F around with the ball to much. It feels more like a game of keepers off, than direct build ups to attacking plays. When Spain are on they can open up a game. But most of the time, its just an over possession based game with little creativity. For a team with the talent and youth they have on the team sheet, you have to question their coaching and tactics.

i wonder what the ref was saying to both keepers in this mornings dramatic penalty shootout. Yassine Bounou speaks english and probably spanish given his employment at Sevilla. givevn the ref speaks spanish that would be easy.

Penalty shoot outs are not a regular part of the game so I can understand the refs explaining the mechanics of it.

But even for penalties during games the ref goes to the goalkeeper and explains the rules. Every corner now seems to be delayed by the ref talking to the players and gesticulating. They must be under instruction to do this. The players should know the rules. Let them get on with it and penalise offences as appropriate.

There have been so many excuses made for Ronaldo this season with many fans clinging on to the idea that his club performances only dipped because he was unhappy, and that he'd deliver again in a new environment. Surely no one can watch this mornings game and still believe that the end hasn't arrived for him.

Both United and Portugal look like completely different teams without him.

Ronaldo was scoring goals last season and you couldn't rationale with a United fan that he was the reason they were doing badly, because their comeback was that he was scoring goals that no one else was, and nothing else mattered.

Cristiano has been in it for himself since day 1. He wants to be the one on the score sheet and won't work with his team to get there.

In many of the games watching Spain play, my mate made the same point as me. Spain F around with the ball to much. It feels more like a game of keepers off, than direct build ups to attacking plays. When Spain are on they can open up a game. But most of the time, its just an over possession based game with little creativity. For a team with the talent and youth they have on the team sheet, you have to question their coaching and tactics.

Costa Rica did the world a favour when they had mare vs Spain. Enrique believed the Spanish way was going to get them real deep in this WC. They did nothing else the whole tournament.

When Erling Haaland kills it over the next decade, and Pep being the one to utilise him weekly, football tactics will move away from the BS false 9 concept for good. It's had its time. The binning is over due.

Big Harry is too good for league one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back