World Cup 2026 FIFA World Cup (Qualifiers)

Will Australia qualify for the World Cup?

• Yes - Through the Third Round

• Yes - Through the Fourth Round

• Yes - Through the Interconfederational playoff

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Qualification starts next week with CONEMBOL qualification kicking off on the 7th and 8th of September. Who's excited?

Qualification starts next week with CONEMBOL qualification kicking off on the 7th and 8th of September. Who's excited?

Very excited.

Crazy to think that Conmebol will have started their 14th MD (of 18) when Europe starts their own qualification.

How many spots to South America get now? It'd be harder to miss than make the world cup from there.

How many spots to South America get now? It'd be harder to miss than make the world cup from there.

Top 6 qualify automatically. 7th can also quality for the World Cup and they go into the Inter-confederation play-offs.

This is Wikipedia’s write up about what the inter-confederation play-offs are - “A play-off tournament involving six teams will be held to decide the last two FIFA World Cup berths:[1] these consist of one team per confederation, except for UEFA, and one additional team from the confederation of the host countries (CONCACAF).

Two of the teams will be seeded based on the World Rankings, and these seeded teams will play for a FIFA World Cup berth against the winners of the first two knockout games involving the four unseeded teams.

The four-game tournament is to be played in one or more of the host countries and to be used as a test event for the FIFA World Cup.”

Top 6 qualify automatically. 7th can also quality for the World Cup and they go into the Inter-confederation play-offs.

This is Wikipedia’s write up about what the inter-confederation play-offs are - “A play-off tournament involving six teams will be held to decide the last two FIFA World Cup berths:[1] these consist of one team per confederation, except for UEFA, and one additional team from the confederation of the host countries (CONCACAF).

Two of the teams will be seeded based on the World Rankings, and these seeded teams will play for a FIFA World Cup berth against the winners of the first two knockout games involving the four unseeded teams.

The four-game tournament is to be played in one or more of the host countries and to be used as a test event for the FIFA World Cup.”
They really took this expansion thing next level didn't they?
Realistically you might have something like Jamaica, Guatemala, Angola, Fiji, Venezuela & Jordan all randomly playing a mini tournament as an example. Rad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone know when they'll announce where the November home game is being played
I saw there was a fixture announcement last night

Was it the game you were looking at?

Flashing ahead to the 2030 World Cup, FIFA plans to set this across three continents. Opening games to be held in South America, then everything else is shared between Spain, Portugal and Morocco. So much for being fan friendly and carbon neutral.

Flashing ahead to the 2030 World Cup, FIFA plans to set this across three continents. Opening games to be held in South America, then everything else is shared between Spain, Portugal and Morocco. So much for being fan friendly and carbon neutral.
I like it
Uruguay for history
THrow some other matches in (allow them to charter 1 plane for all 6 teams)

Then host it in obviously the best place for it to be in.

Also
I think it makes 2034 more interesting

I think technially it means it has to be in Asia and/or Oceania

Could we push to an Australia/New Zealand 2034.

We've got one month to confirm if we are bidding or not.

I don't see the rush personally to confirm an expression of interest to bid. 11 years until the tournament ffs.

On the plus side Women's WC 23 is fresh in the minds of FIFA. It was a stunning success beyond all expectations. Shouldn't be too hard for Aust / NZ to get together and decide on a bid considering the existing relationship from Women's WC 2023.

I actually believe we would be better off if we could split it with China. But not sure getting them onboard at short notice is likely.

We've got one month to confirm if we are bidding or not.

I don't see the rush personally to confirm an expression of interest to bid. 11 years until the tournament ffs.

On the plus side Women's WC 23 is fresh in the minds of FIFA. It was a stunning success beyond all expectations. Shouldn't be too hard for Aust / NZ to get together and decide on a bid considering the existing relationship from Women's WC 2023.

I actually believe we would be better off if we could split it with China. But not sure getting them onboard at short notice is likely.

FIFA giving short notice suggests it’s not the best bid they are after

Announce a multi country award, then make it hard for the next multi country bid

Classic fifa

FIFA giving short notice suggests it’s not the best bid they are after

Announce a multi country award, then make it hard for the next multi country bid

Classic fifa

Saudi don't have enough venues for 48 teams. And it's a terrible place for any sports event.

This isn't short notice for the actual bid though. It's notice of intent to bid. The actual process will run for years.

Saudi don't have enough venues for 48 teams. And it's a terrible place for any sports event.

This isn't short notice for the actual bid though. It's notice of intent to bid. The actual process will run for years.

Ah ok misread it.

Which SE Asia nations could be involved. I heard Indonesia was well into talks with us before that soccer riot

Malaysia Brunei Phillipines Singapore Vietnam?

Back