Autopsy 2022 Rd 23 Choked again. Season Done.

Remove this Banner Ad

Second week in a row, our leaders did not call for the ball when we were 5 points up with 2 minutes left and could have run down the clock - Weak as piss and no one stepping up. Like with Owies last week, we have Durdin who couldn't pick the right option nor kick straight.

We need a change of leadership.

Give it to Walsh and Weitering as VC.

Cripps has been poisoned by the old loser regime too much. Just let Cripps focus on playing.

There needs to be a cleanout of soft players next season. Lewis Young helping the collingwood player up after pushing in in the boundary line, soft as butter. No wonder bulldogs let him go.

Young, O'Brien, Dow, all soft as butter.
So u think Maynard from pies is soft? He was patting Cripps on the back after he was winded.. wake the **** up!

So had we made finals we’d probably get smashed next week anyway and that would mentally play on our minds in a different way,however losing like this will burn them inside.

Could be a good thing.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

That’s a cop out. Shit way to end the season, but we ran two top four teams to the final minute in the last two weeks under finals pressure. How does that equate to us getting smashed in week one, with more players coming back into the side?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Second week in a row, our leaders did not call for the ball when we were 5 points up with 2 minutes left and could have run down the clock - Weak as piss and no one stepping up. Like with Owies last week, we have Durdin who couldn't pick the right option nor kick straight.

We need a change of leadership.

Give it to Walsh and Weitering as VC.

Cripps has been poisoned by the old loser regime too much. Just let Cripps focus on playing.

There needs to be a cleanout of soft players next season. Lewis Young helping the collingwood player up after pushing in in the boundary line, soft as butter. No wonder bulldogs let him go.

Young, O'Brien, Dow, all soft as butter.
Surely a troll account.

Young played another amazing game and because he has a ticker you refer to him as soft.

Disappointing to read this kind of stuff

The last month makes me questions whether or not this current crop of players have the mental capacity to win. If they can’t handle a sudden death match to make the finals how are they going to go in an elimination final or a preliminary final?

This is my major concern. It appears quite a few of our players either lack instinctive football smarts, struggle with decision making under pressure or both. Plenty will say that's a learned skill...I don't necessarily share that point of view. It's true for some, but for many it becomes a millstone that just gets heavier and heavier.

I hope they do learn from this but also wouldn't entirely surprise if this also scars some of them.

Two weeks in a row we have dead set choked at the end of the game. Vossy needs to try and coach some game awareness into these players over the summer. I could pick out one or two examples, but its the entire group that needs to be taught this.

Hope this really stings over the summer, and the boys come back bigger and better next year

Talent/Ability is there.All between the ears for us.

It really is about this simple. We are top 4 in league in “talent”, but bottom 4 - quite possibly league-worst - in handling the moment.

Being ready to perform from the start.
Killing off opposition when on top.
Minimising damage when the opposition is on top.
Performing when expected to win.
Closing out games in tight contests.

All things that are tactical and mental, not talent-based. We have the raw ingredients but lots of work to do.

Curnow 2.5
McKay 2.3

Save the party tricks boys for when we are 10 goals up with 5 minutes left to play.

If only they were half as good as Jack Riewoldt at set shot goal kicking.

Disappointing to say the least.

Charlie really needs to take a bit more time and compose himself if he wants to continue to kick around the corner. There is literally nothing to gain by taking those shots quickly.

Just another thought whilst I’m dumping out my purse…

Continuity, familiarity and experience playing together matters, and we don’t have it.

I would hazard a guess that yesterday was literally the first time that backline has ever played together. Also the first time ever of that midfield line up. Then there’s the combination of the two. The permutations and lack of synergy is entirely understandable - even though not really acceptable or palatable.

So… other reasons why the sum of the parts seems to be less than it should be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont care how many mistakes the players made during the game.
That happens and always has.

But that blocking free/Cripps mark reversal was criminal.

That cost us the game.

Worst decision ive ever seen in nearly 50 years and still cant fathom it.

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Agree. Footy is about momentum. Two really poor decisions early in the last quarter cost you the game. Umpiring in general has been sub standard for a very long time.

Have read most of the posts, not all.
It is quite cathartic.
A very bitter pill to swallow.
Yes, it's just a game. But we follow our Club like a tribe with compassion and desire for success.
We came close, we improved, but we could not seize the moment.
This should be the launching pad for a successful 2023. It sucks !!!!!

Just another thought whilst I’m dumping out my purse…

Continuity, familiarity and experience playing together matters, and we don’t have it.

I would hazard a guess that yesterday was literally the first time that backline has ever played together. Also the first time ever of that midfield line up. Then there’s the combination of the two. The permutations and lack of synergy is entirely understandable - even though not really acceptable or palatable.

So… other reasons why the sum of the parts seems to be less than it should be.
This is the biggest factor. Was it just Doc & Charlie that played all games? Maybe Fisher?
People need to cut some slack on players & coaches. Lots to learn in key moments but playing a lot together with your core group irons out a lot of problems

Curnow 2.5
McKay 2.3

Save the party tricks boys for when we are 10 goals up with 5 minutes left to play.

Im not really sure why McKay gets lumped in with Charlie for this game. McKay's kicking wasnt that bad (his contest work was poor)

Charlies goal kicking is what cost us the game, easy shots that he missed - one didnt even make the distance from 30m out ffs.....

Commiserations on the loss. I was at the game yesterday and your fans were awesome when you were up and about in the 3rd quarter. A strong Carlton is good for the comp in general.

You came so agonisingly close to finals two weeks in a row while facing a lot of adversity. Walsh out was significant. Hewett was a huge loss - I don’t think it’s a coincidence that Cripps seemed a Brownlow certainty until Hewett got injured. Weitering didn’t seem 100% after he returned to the team and Saad, one of my favourite oppo players, looked very restricted yesterday. I can’t remember a single 30m run and 55m kick he made all game - he usually breaks games open with those plays and he’s the best in the league at it.

One area that I think you are lacking in is dangerous small forwards. You only need to look at the impact that Stengle, Ginnivan, Pickett etc have had this season. Motlop looked good yesterday but it’s a big ask of him to kick 30+ next season, and the Durdin / Owies types don’t seem likely to hit the scoreboard regularly. I wonder if a Ben Ronke type who seems on the fringe of Sydney’s team could be worth a look?

I expect you will be top 6 certainties next season, and challenging for top 4. Don’t let yesterday get you too down - you are definitely on the right path. Good luck!

That's prob the sort of end to the season this group needs to mentally snap them into the real world. The cavalier nature of many of them mentally is astounding. If that group can stay fit and together next season with a few additions and Vossy grinds them into the dirt over the preseason, maybe just maybe the magnitude of their individual responsibilities to the playing group might sink in.

On the positive side though, Doc and Setters in the middle were great again. Despite McGovern being made of plaster board he can play and makes the back six a much more potent outfit. That's about it. Motlop was good as well found one there.
Now p*ss off and get to work CFC and don't come back till March flint hard and finals ready. That should give me ample time to process what the f*ck happened yesterday / last 4 games!

Curnow 2.5
McKay 2.3

They have both convinced themselves they are poor drop punts. The snap is useful in certain situations but there must be a line drawn by the coaches.

6 months of goal kicking practice and some game awareness training.

Still sad about the game but we move on. A lot of this will be similar to an overall season review as most of the issues have been issues all year.

We were not up for this in the first quarter. Half our boys looked bloody terrified of the footy. The occasion was too big for us and we're lucky Collingwood kicked 1.4 early instead of 4.1 otherwise it could've been bad. We eventually settled in but boy that was an inauspicious start if there ever was one.

Our inside 50s are abysmal and have been for 2 or 3 years. Everything is a long bomb to a contest hoping for a contested mark, that's in. Very few hit ups and probably most critically by Durdin late in the game where McKay did a hook lead back to him for an easy, EASY, 20 metre kick. Would have a shot from 40 out. Instead he kicked it 20m over his head to no one. Just gross, not intending to single him out but it's symptomatic of our inability to have any nous inside the final third. It's amazing we have 2 Coleman medallists with the kind of delivery they get.

Speaking of Coleman medallists, Charlie needs to compose himself on set shots better. I've said it in several reviews this year and many others probably have too, but he rushes himself so much. Not even when playing on and snapping but even when taking a drop punt he probably takes 15 of the allowed 30 seconds. Takes no time to compose himself and it really shows, half the time it looks like he isn't even taking the set shot seriously. There's a carefree attitude, which he has to a point, but then there's being unprofessional and I think his set shots (and only his set shots fwiw) border on that at times.

We need to find more avenues to goal. Yes our inside 50s are an issue, but so are our small and medium forwards. Owies and Durdin offered nil on the weekend and to be frank they've offered nil in way too many games. Their defensive pressure from the first 10 rounds to the last 10 rounds is like night and day and they aren't scoreboard threats. I like Motlop long term and he has a good goal sense but he's a first year player, we need to find another 1 or 2 somewhere.

One thing that would help with the above is PLAYING IN FRONT. Startling suggestion I know, but why do all our bloody forwards play on the back shoulder of the defender? Every time a scramble ball comes inside 50 the defender is in front and as always with scramble kicks they fall short and guess who that benefits... the dickhead in front! The entire first half every kick that fell short fell into the lap of the defender. It's not rocket science...

I like Doc on the ball. If not all game, but rotating in and out at least. He has a hunt and desperation I like plus he's a long kick, a 45m clearing kick vs a 30m clearing kick is a big difference.

Cripps was herculean. I always knew he'd be built for finals and that it would bring out the beast in him, well this was essentially as close as you can get without it being a final - and tbh it was probably bigger than a final vs Brisbane would've been. 90,000 at the MCG vs Collingwood I think trumps all and he played the best single game I think I've seen since Judd vs Sydney. Could he have handballed at the end? Sure, but he'd done exactly that all game and got the handball out every time, I'll back his decision making in. He also should've got the free v Quaynor.

Weiters best game since his return. He peeled off his man and had impact at contests instead of just sticking to his man and drifting out of the game. That'd be my one criticism of him, he sticks to his man a little too much and while he's the best lockdown defender in the game he doesn't impact as many contests as the other top defenders. We need more of this games Weiters going forward.

Cerra was excellent in the first half/ half and 10 mins of the game but disappeared later.

I thought Cottrell was solid. I really think there's something to build on with him.

I thought Williams looked good considering he was brought back in after the long layoff. I doubted the inclusion but he showed me wrong.

It's probably been said but I'll bring it up too, Richmond went through exactly the same growing pains before their run. Remember the season where they lost 4 or 5 games in the back half of the season from seemingly unlosable situations and wound up just missing the finals? This season really smacks of that for me. Quite clearly we're good enough to compete for top 4, we just don't quite know how to win games yet. Cold comfort, yeah, it doesn't help me much either, but it's a part of the growing pains.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back