Review 2023 2nd Qualifying Final, Werribee Tigers v Box Hill Hawks, 2 September 2023, 2.05pm @ Avalon Airport Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

The Hawks struggled to get any flow in their game. The oval did not suit our game style at all. The thin width stifled any chance to switch meaning it was mostly a contested game. Our inside mids were beaten and that decided the game.

The boys will do better next week on the wider Box Hill oval.

The Hawks struggled to get any flow in their game. The oval rectangle did not suit our game style at all. The thin width stifled any chance to switch meaning it was mostly a contested game. Our inside mids were beaten and that decided the game.

The boys will do better next week on the wider Box Hill oval.

fify

Credit to Michael Barlow. Werribee are not spectacular but can get the job done.

Sometimes I wonder whether being a non aligned side is more helpful because you are not obliged to play the AFL listed guys. God knows there was a long list of VFL guys for BH that didn’t play today.

Playing the dogs next week - should be interesting. We did well against the dogs last time around.
We lost to them a couple of weeks ago at box hill. Never looked like winning and the doga are running hot

Without sounding too condescending, we were really lacking quality out there today and I thought it really showed. Quite a few Hawks listed players that look like they don't have it.

Credit to Michael Barlow. Werribee are not spectacular but can get the job done.

Sometimes I wonder whether being a non aligned side is more helpful because you are not obliged to play the AFL listed guys. God knows there was a long list of VFL guys for BH that didn’t play today.
Right you are, they know their game, which is contested, and we know ours, which is to make space and attack.

If Box Hill and Werribee meet each other in the GF at Docklands (?) then it will be a fair contest given that the oval‘s width is in-between that of Box Hills and Werribee’s home grounds.

A win would have been great but I am still pumped for our boy’s chances.

Last edited:
Without sounding too condescending, we were really lacking quality out there today and I thought it really showed. Quite a few Hawks listed players that look like they don't have it.
Your comment is in no way condescending, but it is disparaging and defeatist.

Werribee have shown to be a very good team especially on their home turf. And the Hawks stayed in the game until 15 mins into the last Qtr with none of the flow that we have shown during the year. I actually thought they upped the intensity at the start of the 4th Qtr and was hopeful that the tigers might break. But they held fast and so we lost.

If our boys put in a bad one next week… then have a crack. For now, I don’t mind the idea of our players getting “extra” games in finals atmosphere.

Sully not playing is not a surprise. It was a surprise to me he was listed
Ducks and drakes with both he and JB when the side was named. Big challenge next week against the Dogs.
Was at the game yesterday and spoke to ZLJ before kick off - they were confident but knew it would be tricky.
Sticks Ryan dislocated his finger and ended up with 4 stitches in his hand after he marked and goaled in the last quarter

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Right you are, they know their game, which is contested, and we know ours, which is to make space and attack.

If Box Hill and Werribee meet each other in the GF at Docklands (?) then it will be a fair contest given that the oval‘s width is in-between that of Box Hills and Werribee’s home grounds.

A win would have been great but I am still pumped for our boy’s chances.
Grand final is now played at ETU stadium in Port Melbourne I believe

He’s gonna need a kick up the bum from Mitchell- we need more out of him… we desperately lack small forwards - he’s the guy we drafted to be one…
Issue Butsy has issue was a midfielder predominantly before we got him to play small forward. The two most natural small forwards we have both didn't play yesterday in Bennetts and O'Sullivan.

At 3 quarter time the missing the huddles were talking about taking the game on as they felt Werribee mids were getting tired.
Big challenge against the Dogs who got the better of us at home last time

If so … Fxck

If Box Hill make the GF the game will be about 3 things…. Winning the centre and pushing the ball into the fwd line until we score (a Tigers method)
Find a full press out of the backline. play the game in our fwd line and Win on effort.

Effort.

Last edited:

If so … Fxck

If Box Hill make the GF the game will be about 3 things…. Winning the centre and pushing the ball into the fwd line until we score (a Tigers method)
Find a full press out of the backline. Put everyone left. Win on effort.

Effort.
VFL GF is at Princes Park going forward. And Port is out of action at the moment due to its poor condition, which is why no finals there yesterday, and why we are likely to be at City Oval this week.

Just watched they were much better all day deserved the win. Not much for us and a rampaging Footscray will probably start favourite to send us out in straight sets. I thought our intensity was ok our disposal was incredibly poor especially in the forward half. Funny that for an aligned side to have the same issue as the seniors hurts.

In the absence of any future HFC injury reports, reckon he or Bennets will be available for the next game or both done for the year?
Well bennets unsure but sully might get up was slated for the prelim if we got there does make an appearance

Remove this Banner Ad

Back