2023 Crowds and TV/Streaming

Remove this Banner Ad

The WBBL game at the MCG on Saturday night drew a crowd of 5933 and with such a poor turn up I doubt CA will waste money on any MCG matches in the future.

Whilst it is a poor crowd for an event at the MCG, it’s actually a pretty good crowd for the WBBL.

At the SCG they just set the record for a non-finals crowd (that’s stand alone from the men’s) which was just a bit more than 1,000 bigger.

“The Sixers were knocked out of finals contention on Friday but were dominant in front of a record regular-season crowd of 7,118 at the SCG.”

“The current record attendance for a standalone WBBL game is the 15,511 who watched the Scorchers win the WBBL|07 title at Optus Stadium in 2021.”

It was - for context the forecast was possible thunderstorm and up to 10mm rain, so that would have put families off from attending.
it is not like it is a football sport which continues to play on in the rain either.

I think 5K is a very good crowd considering everything. Shows that this stadium series might be a beneficial marquee weekend. At least go again next year.

People need context on things like this. It is the WBBL.

What do posters think the AFLW GF crowd will be if the weather is OK?

I'm going with 10 - 12,000 depending on how many North fans turn up seeing it will be their first GF since the 1999 AFL GF and that might just get a few more to go!

I'm going with 10 - 12,000 depending on how many North fans turn up seeing it will be their first GF since the 1999 AFL GF and that might just get a few more to go!
I’m hoping for over 10,000, with Fitzroy fans rocking up too.

With the GF still to be played, this season has had the highest total attendance. Obviously helped with more games in the season.

This season also has the highest average attendance per game since entry fees were introduced for season 5 in 2021.

IMG_8578.png

Next season they should target getting the average crowd for the league over 3,000.

Game is sold out, so I suppose it'll come down to whatever Princes Park's official capacity is these days. Due to the removal of the Pratt Stand, it obviously won't be able to touch the 25k who came all those years ago for the opening AFLW game there. But hopefully can still reach ~15,000?

Game is sold out, so I suppose it'll come down to whatever Princes Park's official capacity is these days. Due to the removal of the Pratt Stand, it obviously won't be able to touch the 25k who came all those years ago for the opening AFLW game there. But hopefully can still reach ~15,000?
Supposedly not more than 12k with the Gardiner Stand closed off.

Already sold 13,000 tickets so with some extra tickects for sale on Friday it might reach 15,000,and that would be a good result.

“Should further tickets become available, they will be released at 12pm AEDT Friday, December 1 via Ticketmaster.”

The league has confirmed that 13,000 tickets for the showpiece event at Carlton’s home venue were snapped up within a day of going on sale."

"The AFL says Marvel Stadium is unavailable for Sunday’s AFLW grand final, leaving Ikon Park to host the sellout clash between North Melbourne and the Brisbane Lions.

Wonder if there was any thought about moving the game to a bigger stadium outside Melbourne. Ala, Geelong/Mars or would that not work with the distance.
Mars is smaller and Geelong would not work for North fans.

Sell out is good news for AFLW and North. Crowd will be double what WB pulled at the same venue v Lions. When North are up and about in the mens they can get decent crowds. Certainly bigger than WB.

Mars is smaller and Geelong would not work for North fans.

Sell out is good news for AFLW and North. Crowd will be double what WB pulled at the same venue v Lions. When North are up and about in the mens they can get decent crowds. Certainly bigger than WB.
Much better to have a full smaller capacity stadium than a large one 20% full!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really?

I would suggest that this is the growth in the valuing of the competition and the benefit of having the finals outside of the men's season
Maybe. But I reckon we will see in a few years once North Inevitably return to finals, their crowds will push well above Dogs. With comparable success, North are as big as Saints or Melbourne.

Maybe. But I reckon we will see in a few years once North Inevitably return to finals, their crowds will push well above Dogs. With comparable success, North are as big as Saints or Melbourne.

Are you serious? North are the smallest club in Melbourne by a fair margin. Not even in the same ball park as Saints or Melbourne.

Are you serious? North are the smallest club in Melbourne by a fair margin. Not even in the same ball park as Saints or Melbourne.
Yep. Go back to the 90s when they were strong. From 93 - 96 their crowds were clearly higher than all Vic clubs other than Blues, Pies and Dons. They averaged around 35k - on a par with Richmond. They have far more latent support than the Doggies. They were mismanaged for a long time for then. If they built on that support when they were winning flags rather than changing their name to Kangaroos and playing games in Sydney, they would not be in the position they are now. With all the recent charity draft pick they will be back at the top soon enough and if they don’t stuff it up again, should he able to increase crowds by over 50%.

Yep. Go back to the 90s when they were strong. From 93 - 96 their crowds were clearly higher than all Vic clubs other than Blues, Pies and Dons. They averaged around 35k - on a par with Richmond. They have far more latent support than the Doggies. They were mismanaged for a long time for then. If they built on that support when they were winning flags rather than changing their name to Kangaroos and playing games in Sydney, they would not be in the position they are now. With all the recent charity draft pick they will be back at the top soon enough and if they don’t stuff it up again, should he able to increase crowds by over 50%.

Nah.

They had the best team in the competition in the second half of the 90s and were playing all their games at the MCG. It is like people trying to claim Melbourne are substantially bigger than the Saints or Dogs - no they just have the best team they have had for 60 years.

The Roy Morgan surveys have Roos routinely a long way below the other "little four" Melbourne clubs

I remember as a kid in the 90s asking my old man why north have barely any fans despite having a great team, good colours, good theme song and the most marketable player in the competition, it didn't make sense to me. I also remember thinking when they stop winning their crowds will fizzle to pretty much nothing.

There's not a lot in it really but here are some facts:

Home crowds at Docklands since 2000:

STK - 31,553
WB - 29,845
NM - 28,496

Win-loss record at the stadium:

STK - 160-126
WB - 144-135
NM - 124-121

North have sold interstate more of their low drawing matches in that period than the other two clubs. They were also a very competitive team for most of the first 20 years at the stadium. They have been complete rubbish the last four but two of those were Covid affected with significantly fewer attended matches at the venue.

As for the 2018 AFLW GF at Carlton:

The game was played in wet and blustery conditions, with heavy rain falling in the hours leading up to the game. This kept the crowd numbers down, with most huddled under the sheltered areas, and caused the scheduled pre-match entertainment by Missy Higgins to be cancelled.

The attendance was smaller than all of the Whitten Oval matches that year.

Nope, they were a power in the 70s. Their success has never translated to big upticks in support.

There's not a lot in it really but here are some facts:

Home crowds at Docklands since 2000:

STK - 31,553
WB - 29,845
NM - 28,496

Win-loss record at the stadium:

STK - 160-126
WB - 144-135
NM - 124-121

North have sold interstate more of their low drawing matches in that period than the other two clubs. They were also a very competitive team for most of the first 20 years at the stadium. They have been complete rubbish the last four but two of those were Covid affected with significantly fewer attended matches at the venue.

As for the 2018 AFLW GF at Carlton:

The attendance was smaller than all of the Whitten Oval matches that year.

If someone could be arsed doing an analysis that accounted for that, you find that North are a couple of pegs below the dogs.

St Kilda's advantages from being a dominant team for a long time in the first decade and a bit would be offset by the fact that the Docklands is harder to get to from their traditional heartlands than it is for dogs and roos fans.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back