2023 ICC Men's Cricket World Cup Game 47 Second Semi Final South Africa v Australia 16/11 1900hrs @ Eden Gardens

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting to note that the Guardian UK comments section (mostly from English people of course) is full of praise - which of course must be through gritted teeth - for Cummins, while being absolutely scathing of Bavuma.

Much like the summer where there was a notable contingency of them that ripped into Stokes while comparatively we praised his dare and ingenuity as a skipper.

I've questioned tactics and blunders of Cummins too - in particular some of the maddening Ashes field settings - but by and large he has done a solid job. He also has a worldwide reputation of steering Australia home when it matters - ball swapping Ashes Test 5 fiasco aside.

I don’t recall saying that they are.
However I’ve read year after year of ******* fans saying ‘wait till they come here and we roll out a green top for them’ without stopping to realise what the likely implications of that are.

In addition, while i fully acknowledge there are loads of occasions where pitches in India have and do get made to order, there are also loads when they just simply produce pitches that spin in a country where - wait for it - pitches naturally spin.
We say "serve up a green top" as fans because we are frustrated at the blatant pitch doctoring in other countries, but Cricket Australia would never do that as it is unfair.

I watched some extended highlights of the 2004 series in India and the pitches were decent. Pace bowlers and spinners took wickets, and batsmen made runs. The last two Australian tours of India have produced some of the most substandard pitches possible and it was planned by the BCCI.

England came out before the Ashes and said they would produce flat tracks to suit Baz Ball

The production of pitches needs to be independent from the host board. You shouldn't be able to blatantly create certain pitches. The criteria should be that it creates an even contest between bat and ball

Yes it will spin in India but you shouldn't be able to create a minefield that is spitting from the very first ball

It's to do with the fact there's a distance the ball can travel in the last frame or between frames of the camera and it can also move slighty as it impacts the batsman, so there's a small amount of variance remaining in the system and the umpire's call region encompasses that variance plus more.
Makes it all the more bizarre and galling that we are stuck with the 25fps cameras to accommodate third umpire reviews, while the 1000fps cameras are off getting slow mo montages of the crowd or some exotic bird outside the ground or other nonsense 🤷‍♂️

Makes it all the more bizarre and galling that we are stuck with the 25fps cameras to accommodate third umpire reviews, while the 1000fps cameras are off getting slow mo montages of the crowd or some exotic bird outside the ground or other nonsense 🤷‍♂️
Depending on the "ball tracking software cameras" it's between ~100fps and ~300fps. Still, not "fast" enough, obviously.

No they don’t.

I don't think so.
On the question of which bowlers can bowl how many overs in the event of rain, it's not going to affect tonight but more a hypothetical...

Say Starc and Hazlewood had both bowled their 10 overs by the end of the 20th over. Then it rains and the match is reduced from 50 overs to 35. Do they then say "5 of your bowlers can bowl 7 overs", or do they say "2 of your bowlers have already bowled 10 overs, so your 3 remaining bowlers are only allowed to bowl 5 maximum"?

Point is that if the former is the case, it would have meant we only had to find 1 over from our "fifth" bowler, as our 3rd and 4th bowlers would have still been allowed 7 each.

On the question of which bowlers can bowl how many overs in the event of rain, it's not going to affect tonight but more a hypothetical...

Say Starc and Hazlewood had both bowled their 10 overs by the end of the 20th over. Then it rains and the match is reduced from 50 overs to 35. Do they then say "5 of your bowlers can bowl 7 overs", or do they say "2 of your bowlers have already bowled 10 overs, so your 3 remaining bowlers are only allowed to bowl 5 maximum"?

Point is that if the former is the case, it would have meant we only had to find 1 over from our "fifth" bowler, as our 3rd and 4th bowlers would have still been allowed 7 each.

Would have just mean finding less from the 5th bowler. It literally made no sense not bowling Haze out, could have saved Starc up when we used her in the middle if need be.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back