List Mgmt. 2023 List Management

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we delist Williams and he signs elsewhere he's on our books for 3 years at his entire salary

If we trade Williams then we may be on the hook for part of his contract (see Treloar to Western Bulldogs as an example) if the acquiring club refuses to pay it all

You can't just cut players and get their cap space. Otherwise we'd have delisted a few players previously

Players only become free agents when they are out of contract after X years of service (varies). They become delisted free agents if their club has delisted them. Once a player has been delisted they are a free agent every time we they come out of contract (e.g. Matt Kennedy).

I think you missed my original post.

Obviously we would be stuck with Williams salary if we delist him like any player.

In my original post I said that if we trade Williams we would be on the hook for the difference in his contract if the new club didn't want to pay it. So we essentially agree with each other.

The other poster is suggesting we would be stuck with Williams entire salary even if we traded him (unless I have misunderstood) which makes no sense.

Anyway Williams isn't being traded so no point arguing over it. No hard feelings all lol.

Last edited:

other poster is suggesting we would be stuck with Williams entire salary even if we traded him (unless I have misunderstood) which makes no sense.
I always thought the only time a club was on the hook for the entire contract was when that player was delisted and that a club can be on the hook for part of the contract once traded only if the player was taking less than the original contract and only for the portion that was over the agreed upon contract (hence my comparison to Treloar's contract).

If that's not the case then I'm shocked. I'm with you.

But have we ever seen a free agent who signed with a new club traded mid contract?

No saying that we are not a lot better.

Reads as though you're either not sure what he is alleged to have done, or you're suggesting the allegations aren't a big deal.

Tell me, is Sydney also a weak club with a poor culture given they sacked a player for behavioural issues, or do you pick and choose when you bring that one out?

Dow has no trade currency.
Fisher would be a late 2nd at best
Kennedy early 3rd
Martin 4th round
TDK, pick 10-20 with change
Williams - 3rd round

IMO these are the likely picks we could hope to secure for these players.... Every other club watches our games too, and the things we dont like about these players they are also well aware of and are not overpaying for our scraps.. Which of these players, all except Dow when fit are best 22 do you want to trade that we can replace with something better with these picks?
I rate Kennedy in the high 1st - mid 2nd pick range. I would draft personally with those picks. Unless we can find players that want to come to us, that we actually need/will improve us.

If you have evidence I'm happy to be corrected but just don't see how that can possibly be the case. You seem very adament so I look forward to seeing it.

Say Zac Williams is still on 800k x 3 still with us. Say he wants a trade to Collingwood. What you're saying is we have 800k x 3 in our salary cap regardless of whether Williams is on our list? That's pretty much saying free agents can't be traded because nobody would trade a player if they had to absorb their entire salary. So as I said it makes no sense.

Hi marc

it seems there is very little in terms of articles mentioning the rules around including payments of free agents. I’ve only got the article posted which only references having to pay out the deal if the player retires or is delisted.

Your probably right in terms if a player is traded as I can’t find anything to support my claim. Sorry for doubting your view.

Its a situation that hasn’t arisen as far as I know and would be interested to see what would happen.

Hi marc

it seems there is very little in terms of articles mentioning the rules around including payments of free agents. I’ve only got the article posted which only references having to pay out the deal if the player retires or is delisted.

Your probably right in terms if a player is traded as I can’t find anything to support my claim. Sorry for doubting your view.

Its a situation that hasn’t arisen as far as I know and would be interested to see what would happen.

No problem at all. Discussing contrasting views is what BF is all about. You'd think it would happen sooner or later,. Lots of free agents get signed on massive overs. You wil probably get a Treloar or Grundy situation (even though they weren't free agents) where a club needs to offload a player to clear capspace even if it means chipping in themselves.

Surely not?

img_4801-png.1689503

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely not?

Highly doubtful. We wouldn't have given Harry 7 years, Charlie 6 and Cripps 6 at those amounts. Those 3 would all have taken a bit less money to get the extra years security.

Reports at the time had Cripps taking a paycut and signing for about 700k x 6. Keeping in mind Cripps had come off two very poor years when signing that deal. Nobody would have paid him 900k at that point.

Cerra is on about 650k x 4. That was widely reported. Saad 650k x 5. Again widely reported.

Walsh, McGovern, Williams, Weitering amounts probably about right.

If I had to guess I would think it's something more like.

Curnow 850k
McKay 800k
Walsh 800k
McGovern 800k (finishing this year)
Williams 750k
Weitering 750k
Cripps 700k
Saad 650k
Cerra 650k

Highly doubtful. We wouldn't have given Harry 7 years, Charlie 6 and Cripps 6 at those amounts. Those 3 would all have taken a bit less money to get the extra years security.

Reports at the time had Cripps taking a paycut and signing for about 700k x 6. Keeping in mind Cripps had come off two very poor years when signing that deal. Nobody would have paid him 900k at that point.

Cerra is on about 650k x 4. That was widely reported. Saad 650k x 5. Again widely reported.

Curnow 850k
McKay 800k
Walsh 800k
Williams 750k
Weitering 750k
Cripps 700k
Saad 650k
Cerra 650k
It's Kane Cornes - enough said

Curnow 850k
McKay 800k
Walsh 800k
Williams 750k
Weitering 750k
Cripps 700k
Saad 650k
Cerra 650k
Gov is on MUCH less. Was front loaded when we had trouble paying the 95% of salary cap. And even then, it was 800k at the highest end. It'd be more like 600k now.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Gov is on MUCH less. Was front loaded when we had trouble paying the 95% of salary cap. And even then, it was 800k at the highest end. It'd be more like 600k now.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app
i suspect that there's an element of truth to the list - like this example it's the peak payment in one year that averages much less over the course of the entire contract - like Jack Martin's 1.1m per year that was actually 3.3m over five years.

Yeh Cerra and Saads contracts were widely discussed. Cerra less then $600k Saad I think was $650k. I actually hope Gov is still on that much as it would be a great thing for us. The rest I could imagine being pretty close to the mark.

It concerns me that Jade Gresham is a free agent and Cal Twomey has started talking him up as “star” we should target. He once looked like he could’ve been something but it didn’t play out that way. He is a terrible target for us.

We do not need any more wasteful users. I wish I could trust us not to consider it.

Last edited:
It concerns me that Jade Gresham is a free agent and Cal Twomey has started talking him up as “star” we should target. He once looked like he could’ve been something but it didn’t play out that way. He is a terrible target for us.

We do not need any more wasteful users. I wish I could trust us not to consider it.
Gresham is essentially an upgraded version of Fisher, playing a position that we're desperately needing to bolster.
The only reason I wouldn't consider it is due to cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back