Preview 2023 Pre-Season discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

After the success and celebrations of Season 2022, we now start to turn our focus to the 2023 season & the pre-season as we see the youngsters and a few more experienced lads returning to the training track

With discussion popping up, thought it was best to start a dedicated thread for discussion of all things pre-season

So be it photos, insights, predictions or whatever else relates to the pre-season, have at it

Now we wait to see what the AFL decides

The AFL will hand premiers Geelong a back-ended schedule of home games with the new-look 40,000-seat stadium likely to be complete as late as June next year.

Geelong chief executive Steve Hocking said the fifth stage of the GMHBA Stadium development would be a massive fillip for the local community and allow the ground to host more events like March’s Foo Fighters concert.

But the builders have given a May or June 2023 finish date which means the Cats would again be at heavily restricted capacity if they played early-season home games there.

It means the league will work with the AFL on a fixture that the Cats hope will include nine GMHBA Stadium games late in the year and two MCG games against Victorian powerhouse teams.

Geelong is yet to decide whether it will unfurl its premiership flag at GMHBA Stadium or do it early at the MCG.

Kneviitt stile looks like he need to get on the protein shakes. Neale looks a big boy
Agree on Knevitt. He looks to have broad shoulders, so the frame looks to be there but he may just be one of those guys that does not put on much weight. May limit his ability to play as an inside mid. Being wiry did not stop Michael Tuck at Hawthorn playing over 400 games and being a 7 times premiership player. Trust Mitch can just develop into the best player he can be in whatever role that ends up. Would like to see Neale play at least 7-10 games this year. For him to play that many Hawk probably needs to miss say the first 4 and be rested in a couple of others. I would rather have Hawk fully fit and in top form for the finals.

Kneviitt stile looks like he need to get on the protein shakes. Neale looks a big boy
Thought the exact same thing when I saw that pic...

Steady Daz.... Steady....

GO Catters

Nice but i would love it if our 2 MCG home games are against non MCG tenants Victorian sides or even better interstate sides.
Playing at the MCG already loses us cash compared to KP. Playing against an interstate side would murder our balance sheet.

Oppo fans love to parrot that we request the "big games" against them, but in truth we just need enough of their faithful to show up to stem the bleeding which is result of the stupidity of playing games at a 100k stadium which the AFL forces on us.

So are we locking Stewart in as captain then if he is out there training with all the young uns.

Depends - what leadership role is Miers in line for since he was also out there training with the youngsters?

I'm not sure that Stewart being at yesterday's training/running session is an indication of anything specific to do with captaincy or a leadership role at the club - maybe he was just happy to be out of the house with his own two young ones at home

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The unfurling of the flag is an interesting one. Whilst I think the preference is to unfurl it at our home ground, it's going to be done rather late if that's the case.

I'd be more inclined to unfurl it at our Easter Monday home game against Hawthorn. We can always do It again later.

It's a good discussion point.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the captaincy determined by the playing group?

I had to go back to the 2020 announcement to get more information about the process, and with nothing specifically mentioned the last two years, I'm guessing it's still a similar process:

“The player leadership group brings a diverse range of experience and a great deal of value to our club. The seven-player group have been nominated by their peers, coaches and football executive team as those with the leadership qualities and values to lead our team and our club forward into 2020,” Geelong’s General Manager of Football Simon Lloyd said.

I had to go back to the 2020 announcement to get more information about the process, and with nothing specifically mentioned the last two years, I'm guessing it's still a similar process:

“The player leadership group brings a diverse range of experience and a great deal of value to our club. The seven-player group have been nominated by their peers, coaches and football executive team as those with the leadership qualities and values to lead our team and our club forward into 2020,” Geelong’s General Manager of Football Simon Lloyd said.
So virtually it's decided by the entire club Inc the players.

Agree on Knevitt. He looks to have broad shoulders, so the frame looks to be there but he may just be one of those guys that does not put on much weight. May limit his ability to play as an inside mid. Being wiry did not stop Michael Tuck at Hawthorn playing over 400 games and being a 7 times premiership player. Trust Mitch can just develop into the best player he can be in whatever role that ends up. Would like to see Neale play at least 7-10 games this year. For him to play that many Hawk probably needs to miss say the first 4 and be rested in a couple of others. I would rather have Hawk fully fit and in top form for the finals.

I think he should be aiming for a Bontempelli like physique.

Still big enough to play on the inside but more lean and wiry than big and bulky.

So virtually it's decided by the entire club Inc the players.
That's how it sounds

I get the involvement of the players & coaches in the decision, it's the "executive football team" which raises an eyebrow though - just feels that if they're still involved that it would be swayed towards who they believe would be the best spokesmen for the club, the player they want in front of the camera and least controversial option

Miers missed pre season last year and it strongly affected his form for the first 2/3rds of the season so no surprise to see him get stuck in early.
In view of his stated wish to get involved in recruiting later on, he may also be wanting to look at our new players to get a feel for what makes the club interested in potential recruits.

In view of his stated wish to get involved in recruiting later on, he may also be wanting to look at our new players to get a feel for what makes the club interested in potential recruits.

During the finals there was a newspaper article about the club, the reduced contact hours for the players versus other clubs and how there's more freedom afforded to the players in terms of how they structure their week outside of the compulsory sessions

Miers spoke about how he gets the best from himself in a structured environment - so in a situation like the bye week between the season & finals, and then after the QF win, he'd still go into the club on days off to keep to his structure and routine

So it's not really surprising to see him back at training already

Remove this Banner Ad

Back