Training 2023 Pre Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Butler is contracted to 2024 and will play for us for a long time after that I reckon.
Butler, looks in absolutely fantastic nick, and his tackling pressure in the preseason suggests he’s motivated. Long may it continue.

However, the moment he starts slowing down we will see him differently, because his pace is a big part of what he brings to the team.

Semi final in a year of 17 home and away games, reduced game times, no crowds, game hubs, teams not competing to their maximum potential.

This year set back us so far, more than you could ever imagine

We culled and brought in McKernan, Frawley etc and completely stopped developing our youth.
When did we start developing our youth? McKernan and Frawley didn't stop any young player from having a crack.

Max back by round 3 or 4.
Was told today.
He is ahead of schedule.
Agree with that, he did an extra 40 min session after everyone got off the ground, was doing a lot of pushing off a coach testing his shoulder, he marked above his head & did a tackle bag session towards the end, i said to the misses he's about 3 or 4 away from playing i'd say the Ess 150th.

Would you advocate trading guys like Billings, Jones and Clark for picks this year then? Or do we keep them as depth options going forward?

The messaging from the club is that Ross and Co are here, not just for the short term shaping of this list, but for setting elite standards for the next 10+ years. It's going to be so hard to get a read on the club given we won't have our best team of the park until close to mid year but there is a growing feeling that this might be a "one step back, two steps forward" type season.
What the hell is jones getting us in a trade? He’s a delist target at this point. Perpetually injured with soft tissue (the kiss of death) poor disposal, inconsistent output when on field

we got him for a second rounder and a fourth rounder and he came with a couple picks back our way. He’d be worth even less now

Tanking isn’t the right answer. Carlton and Melbourne only got it right once their development and culture turned around. Geelong and Sydney(excluding the academy kids( never tank because their development is good no matter where they have picks.
I think we should play as best we can and simply get lucky and pick a miracle slider every year. Best kid in the draft ends up being ours at pick 10-15 every year for a few years. Have our cake and eat it

I’d argue Freo have got stronger since last season, not weaker. We’re right up against it with our injury losses, new system etc etc
That’s correct but we did beat them when Sharman kicked 4. That was also with king out. Ignore their last year as an abberation. I think we can all admit now that 2020 was a fluke for us so let’s just assume freo fluked last year and will crash out this year like we did in 2021

Big responsibility falling on Higgo this week. He's got the ability. I hope we can create some really nice looks for him.

1033245.jpg

MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA - MARCH 13: Jack Higgins of the Saints runs with the ball during a St Kilda Saints AFL training session at RSEA Park on March 13, 2023 in Melbourne, Australia. (Photo by Darrian Traynor/Getty Images via AFL Photos)
Was in all Australian form before his concussion early last year. Kicking multiple goals every week. Needs to elevate himself to all Australian level this year. Proved he can play at the level just needs to do it now

Sorry, it's hard to understand when some people use so much sarcasm in their posts.
What was sarcastic about anything I said? We were talking about how many players the club will take off their list by seasons end, and people put their predictions up. You decided to go on some tangent about the COVID affected year and why it gave the club a bad read of where we were at lol.

It had nothing to do with who the club values, who was retiring, how the year panned out with COVID rule changes, none of that. It was quite simply a discussion on how many players per year leave the club. Pretty straightforward.

I explained what the discussion is about, and you take a shot at me haha. Real bizarre, but expected at this point unfortunately. No hard feelings from my end, just think it was weird.

Off List for 2024

Allison
Campbell
Connolly
Highmore
Jones-injury prone
McKenzie-injury prone
Peris
Sharman-if he doesn't perform this season

As far as i can work out, Cat B rookies are able to be retained ( as Cat B ) for 3 years, under the general rookie rules.

So I repeat.
What does the club gain by de-listing Peris?
Do we de-list him then go looking for another Cat B player?

Alison is contracted until 2014 i think.

Butler, looks in absolutely fantastic nick, and his tackling pressure in the preseason suggests he’s motivated. Long may it continue.

However, the moment he starts slowing down we will see him differently, because his pace is a big part of what he brings to the team.
He MUST hit the scoreboard more!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When did we start developing our youth? McKernan and Frawley didn't stop any young player from having a crack.

It more suggests a bit of over estimating where the list was at. Probably better to persist with Clavarino than keep topping up with guys at the end just in case. That's more what you do when you are likely to play deep finals and can't afford to leave a hole in case of injury. It does also mean you play them over a guy like Clavarino who given 4 games in a row might have found his feet. Sharman only got a run through injury and surprised everyone.

As far as i can work out, Cat B rookies are able to be retained ( as Cat B ) for 3 years, under the general rookie rules.

So I repeat.
What does the club gain by de-listing Peris?
Do we de-list him then go looking for another Cat B player?

Alison is contracted until 2014 i think.
Allison is contracted until 2024. but it doesn't mean we can't delist him and pay him out.

Agree - its a contact sport and sometimes it’s just bad luck.

I was 15 metres away at training I think about 4 weeks ago during match sim when Membrey took a mark and landed a bit awkwardly. He got up gingerly, took the kick and then hobbled around for a minute or 2 and then went off. 5 minutes later he was running sprints around the boundary fine. I remember I wrote at the time it just seemed a minor tweak to the knee.

Now after the supposedly minor operation there is no date for his return. No way you can avoid this type of injury unless you want play touch footy!
Doing sprints afterwards probably didn't help it

I believe Butler is one of those players that gets 'pidgeon holed' as a forward pocket only player. I watched him play through the midfield for Sandringham Im not sure if it was last year or the year before - but he was excellent.

He used his pace and avoidance skills to break free of clearances and his kicking under pressure is pretty good. He's not a full time mid obviously but I would use him in the rotations at times, if only to inject him into the game.

I dont know why but pidgeon holing players occurs far too much in the AFL, particular with coaches who cant think outside the box. I think it has worsened since the implementation of line coaches, they get too attached to having their own 6 or 7 playing in those zones.

It more suggests a bit of over estimating where the list was at. Probably better to persist with Clavarino than keep topping up with guys at the end just in case. That's more what you do when you are likely to play deep finals and can't afford to leave a hole in case of injury. It does also mean you play them over a guy like Clavarino who given 4 games in a row might have found his feet. Sharman only got a run through injury and surprised everyone.
Clav like all the others we dumped never get picked up by another club , isn't that telling you something ?
They are NFG

Really like the Ross Lyon press conference today. Pretty much announced a Caminiti and Phillipou debuts if they get through training. Spoke very positively about Caminit and also Tom Campbell at the end. Tried to dispel any fears over a soft tissue problem at the club, and reemphasized their belief in the game plan (the process) and their intention to really focus on delivering in that regard.

Really like the Ross Lyon press conference today. Pretty much announced a Caminiti and Phillipou debuts if they get through training. Spoke very positively about Caminit and also Tom Campbell at the end. Tried to dispel any fears over a soft tissue problem at the club, and reemphasized their belief in the game plan (the process) and their intention to really focus on delivering in that regard.

If you cant look at that media conference and see RTB is the right man for our club - then you will never be pleased. He had an inciteful take on the injuries and other aspects of the club and Im loving his new found honesty in the media. What a story of Caminiti impressing Jack Silvagni playing on Weitering in an intra club, SOS calls him invites him down and next he is on our list and soon to debut. Carlton would be filthy they missed out on him after they scouted him.

If you cant look at that media conference and see RTB is the right man for our club - then you will never be pleased. He had an inciteful take on the injuries and other aspects of the club and Im loving his new found honesty in the media. What a story of Caminiti impressing Jack Silnagni playing on Weitering in an intra club, SOS calls him invites him down and next he is on our list and soon to debut. Carlton would be filthy they missed out on him.
They might be a little filthy on Jack as well lol

Jack Silvagni would be a nice fit down at St Kilda if we didn't just draft six blokes like him.

I know Steele is our best player/midfielder, but wouldn't mind seeing him play a Half-forward role, where he could apply pressure & lock it in.
And he is also, an accurate long kick at goal. Give Bytel & Clark a crack in the midfield instead & see how they go, first up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back