Preview 2023 Rd 11 Carlton vs Sydney Friday May 26 7:50PM @ SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in:-

IN:
Tom De Koning, Brodie Kemp
OUT: Ed Curnow, Jack Silvagni, Lewis Young

After starting last weekend as sub, George Hewett has been elevated to the starting 22.

Backs:Sam DochertyJacob WeiteringNic Newman
Half-backs:Brodie KempMitch McGovernAdam Saad
Centreline:Blake AcresPatrick CrippsOliver Hollands
Half-forwards:Matthew KennedyHarry McKayTom De Koning
Forwards:Corey DurdinCharlie CurnowJesse Motlop
Followers:Marc PittonetGeorge HewettSam Walsh
Interchange:Jordan BoydAdam CerraMatthew Cottrell
Matthew Owies
Emergencies:Ed CurnowLachie FogartyJack Silvagni
Lewis Young

Last edited:
Carlton-vs-Sydney.png

Carlton supporters have every right to be disappointed with the W/L atm - questions about the coach, the playing group and even the board have been asked on the forum. It seems that the team has a habit of allowing opposition sides to jump to a commanding first quarter lead before starting to slowly get back in the game over the next few quarters. This was evident in the game against Adelaide - a game which perhaps started the current run of poor form and repeated today in teh game against Collingwood.

This game is a game between last year's grand finalists and last year's just missed-out on finals team. The pressure is on both Clubs to come up with a win both sitting on the same number of H&A losses to date.

If we look at the summary season to date stats both sides look very similar. Both currently sitting outside the eight and looking like middling teams against better opposition. The stats suggest a close game -I'm a tad more confident about this game. Carlton by three goals.

Screenshot 2023-05-21 at 5.48.48 pm.png

Voss no doubt of this forum is any indication is coming under the inevitable pressure that a coach with a season and half under the belt and no firm hold on finals meets - the weight (or baggage) of supporter expectations no doubt weighing heavily on him and the team. My personal feelings are that the side is not far away from playing better football - however, this will be limited in effectiveness by a lack of quality forward flankers and polished finishing. Perjhpas the most disappointing aslect of recent games has been too many wayward shots on goal and the lack of midfield presence as scorers.

Whilst this structural issue remains - every game will be a grind and finger-pointing at lack of decent game plan or plan BCD as required will continue.

Go Blues - I'm enjoying seeing the good stuff on field more than losing it over the ordinary VFL stuff too much on display against better sides.

Last edited:

Changes don’t really matter if the game plan and mentality remains the same.

IN: Lowering the eyes, overlap run
OUT: Sending it to Charlie’s head or in his direction at every possible opportunity.

FWIW, would like to see any number of Dow, TDK, Kemp, Binns and Fogarty get a go. Fish needs to keep working. Change it up.

In: Cowan, Fisher, Martin, Dow, De Koning
Out: McGovern, Hollands, Silvagni, E.Curnow, Motlop

B: Cowan----------------Young----------------Newman

H: Docherty------------Weitering---------------Saad

C: Acres------------------Cripps----------------Cottrell

H: Martin---------------C.Curnow-------------Fisher

F: Owies------------------McKay----------------Durdin

Foll: De Koning, Dow, Walsh

Bench: Pittonet, Boyd, Kennedy, Cerra

Sub: Hewett

OUT: Cottrell, E.Curnow, Pittonet, Hollands
IN: O'Brien, Dow, TDK

FB: Docherty Young McGovern
HB: Boyd Weitering Saad
C: Walsh Cerra Acres
HF: Motlop C.Curnow O'Brien
FF: Silvagni McKay Owies

R: TDK Cripps Dow

Int: Hewett, Kennedy, C.Durdin, Newman

Sub: Binns

Change of direction was awful for both Ed and Pittonet, and it made them a liability, moreso Pittonet who got easily worked into the ground. Collingwood's ruck solution was more potent in the air (Cox) and at ground level (Cameron).

TDK isn't going to really change things up aerially in a single ruck solution, but you know he will scrap on the ground if he has an attack-focused stoppage team behind him, which is where Dow comes in.

Hollands needs the rest now, or he'll wind up on the same pile that Cowan is on in the reserves. Walsh replaces him, with O'Brien being the attacking wing/half forward rotation. Cottrell was completely lost once the game was more fluid, so I'd rather players with elite speed/endurance mixes that can actually find an avenue and execute when we have the ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Right time for some deck chair shuffling.

Out: Jack S. Hollands. Hewett (just soooooooooooooo slow).

In Dow (he can’t run any worse than Hewett. He just can’t.)
TDK.
Cincotta

Last chance saloon for this mentally fragile mob.

5 day break is rough but we have holes everywhere and no matchups for Curnow and McKay for starters.

I can't see a path where you won't win by 30 or 40.
We will be the first team to take on a one player strategy - Charlie palms to it to Charlie, hands it off to Charlie who kicks it lace out to Curnow - kicks the goal, repeat 17 times.

Let me make one reason for Dow to play:

He actually gives us a chance to come out the FRONT of a stoppage. Our backwards handballing by our slow possesion conscious mids simply has to end. Handball back. Snap over shoulder/long bomb to outnumber. Rinse repeat.

Dow gives a small hope that someone could burst out the front and disrupt players around him.

5 day break is rough but we have holes everywhere and no matchups for Curnow and McKay for starters.

I can't see a path where you won't win by 30 or 40.
Outside of West Coast, our last 5 scores are 57, 59, 74, 60 and 62.

We aren’t winning by 30-40 points unless you score 15-25 points haha

Let me make one reason for Dow to play:

He actually gives us a chance to come out the FRONT of a stoppage. Our backwards handballing by our slow possesion conscious mids simply has to end. Handball back. Snap over shoulder/long bomb to outnumber. Rinse repeat.

Dow gives a small hope that someone could burst out the front and disrupt players around him.

There isn’t a midfield (bar Cez) that I wouldn’t drop for Dow right now, form wise.

I just have this absolutely gut wrenching feeling that somehow, someway, we get TDK and Honey for Durds…

FB Kemp - Weitering - Saad
HB Docherty - Young - Boyd

C Acres - Cripps - Walsh
OB Pittonett - Cerra - Kennedy

HF Cottrell - McKay - ECurnow
FF Owies - CCurnow - Motlop

Interchange: TDK (R/F), Dow (OB), Cincotta (D) and Binns (W)

McGovern out for Kemp
Durdin out for Dow
Hollands out for Binns
Silvagni out for TDK
Newman out for Cincotta.

I just think Newman is painfully slow. He’s not a bad player obviously but he’s really ******* slow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back