Autopsy 2023 Round 17 – GWS Giants vs Hawthorn, Saturday, July 8, 4:35 PM AEST, @Giants Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Can we make sure this gets discussed.

Jesse has never felt really at home until he joined the giants. What a great addition he has been.

Congratulations on 250 goals mate

b334e034b6ae7afb486bce45f35b44a7.jpg

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Briggs pulled up real proppy right at the end. looked like a groin from where the trainer was spraying the magic spray & massaging him.

hope he's ok

It felt like a 9k- ish crowd. Some areas were quite packed and the usually bare patches had at least a few bodies.
Hawks seemed to go with tagging and a smallish fwd set-up.
Hawks were pretty good, but in the stadium it never really looked like they could win. We mucked up a lot but thankfully both Hogan and Riccardi stood up.
Toby again manhandled and umpires must have claimed Toby Tax in their 2023 tax returns.
XOH did his wrist in the first 30 seconds and showed real guts to play on as a warm body. He couldn't mark or tackle but still competed all game.
Briggs looked great and gave Reeves a physical going over. He looked to cop a high thigh corkie late. Keeffe may have played his last game.
Cogs took on Kelly's role from last week. He was brilliant.

Not the best performance but take the win and move on. Kelly and Toby unusually quiet and ineffective so it’s good others stepped up.

We could lose 5 players for next week. Whitfield, Haynes, Briggs (injury) XOH (hand) Keeffe, (hammy).
Out centre clearance work is diabolical.

We are not the finished article and some things like centre clearances are alarmingly bad but a lot of other key effort measurables are so much better.

There are times when we move the ball with speed and don’t quite execute but look amazing.

The team just looks very settled, organised and confident. They work hard, they hunt the man, they run both ways and show a lot of fight.

It’s kind of hard seeing this as we suspected that Leon Cameron as a bad coach and now it’s crystal clear. What could have been?

Anyway that’s gone but I think the future looks bright, this bloke can coach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon Harry is fine, lucky to be a free. Haynes, who knows, this is the problem when interpretation gets changed mid-season. XOH must of played with a broken bone in his hand/thumb from very early on, he went at everything one handed. In hindsight a good call to see if he could battle thru with Keefe doing a hammy, would of been a rotation down.

As far as the game, we should of been well ahead at times but didn't capitalise. Cogs is having a very good season, back to his grunt work best rather than the flanker/wing roles he had been doing. Taylor finished the game very strongly, can he get AA after missing 8 matches?? probably not. Hogan/Riccardi combo is finally working, they aren't in each other's space, Jesse is roaming up the ground a bit more which maybe helps but I think Bedford and Brown's and Binga when there, their fwd pressure and ball coming in quicker is the main reason. Briggs has gone beast mode. I'd like to see stats for CBA's because they seemed to throw heaps of guys in there today.

Oh and Callaghan is tracking beautifully. He had a moment today which was kind of like the whole game where he did 90% well but didn’t quite execute. He finally put the foot down and his speed was blinding.

Every game he grows and gains confidence and is more assertive and influential. He has the world at his feet.

Sorry, not Whitfield… HH. He and Haynes’ tackles could get looked at.

just watched the replay - commentators didn’t think HH’s was even a free, let alone anything more.

thought there might be more in the Haynes one because he had, his arm, but they couldn’t even tell if his head hit the gound or not.

if either goes, it’s a blight in the game.

Is it just me of did the maggots get a bit involved in that second half?
For a period there it seemed like they picked out anything they could find when the Hawks entered their 50 to even it up, remembering a chopping of the arms free that came off the shoulder for example.

All the while there were two missed 50m penalties to us due to infringements after a mark - a massive shove in Ward's back, and a second softer one a bit later. Any free kick in a stoppage should be a 50m penalty - a huge shove is a free kick, and Ward had already taken the mark so play had stopped. But the shove was all good apparently.

Felt bigger than that to me
Slightly bigger with the crowd being 9007, even though it was the last of our designated kids Recruit game. Less than the crowds at the Richmond and Carlton matches at Giants Stadium, but more than the other 3 home games here.

Still to crack 10k at Giants Stadium since the September 2019 final against the Dogs. Whilst both our home matches in Manuka this year cracked 10k, it was just with us getting 10,461 and 10,039 against Brisbane and the Dogs respectively. Our next home game is against Gold Coast at Manuka, and that won’t hit 10k.

However, our penultimate home game is against Sydney at Giants, and whilst they may be out of final contention by the time we play them during Round 21 in four weeks time, the crowd for that match should comfortably eclipse 10k, and be around 15—17k?

For a period there it seemed like they picked out anything they could find when the Hawks entered their 50 to even it up, remembering a chopping of the arms free that came off the shoulder for example.

All the while there were two missed 50m penalties to us due to infringements after a mark - a massive shove in Ward's back, and a second softer one a bit later. Any free kick in a stoppage should be a 50m penalty - a huge shove is a free kick, and Ward had already taken the mark so play had stopped. But the shove was all good apparently.
Yeah …. That is how I felt watching it …. Seemed intent to keep the hawks in it

Our next home game is against Gold Coast at Manuka, and that won’t hit 10k.

However, our penultimate home game is against Sydney at Giants, and whilst they may be out of final contention by the time we play them during Round 21 in four weeks time, the crowd for that match should comfortably eclipse 10k, and be around 15—17k?

I think we'll crack 10K for the Suns game, because we've got something to play for and it's the last time in Canberra for this year.

As for the Swans game, who knows? It depends how many of their supporters show up. It's a night game, which is when we tend to draw our biggest crowds against them.

Ump no.17 rattled off multiple frees to the Hawks in rapid succession.

Just seemed, 'odd'.

I don't know what to make of this game.

The team looked flat, the kicking often terrible, the effort not quite there.

It reminded me of the loss against West Coast after the ridiculously hot day the week prior against Adelaide.

Maybe the hard game against Melbourne at Alice Springs took a similar toll.

Heavy conditions, heavy legs the week after.

Will be interesting how the team train this week. Might need to lay off the intensity a tad.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back