Autopsy 2023 Round 5 – GWS Giants vs Hawthorn, Sunday, April 16, 3.20PM AEST, Norwood Oval, SA

Remove this Banner Ad

From the previous game, he's got 1 decent quarter in him. A little harsh, perhaps, that that's my observation - starts well but can't keep it up. Worked really well for that last quarter, got some useful touches that helped.
He's better than I expected to be honest, I thought he'd be more of a project but even an impact player at this stage is impressive.

An ugly win, but better than an ugly loss. Lots to dissect. Hopefully Bedford is available to come into the forward line next week - from his pre-season form he'll help immeasurable.
I think Bedford would be a great addition. However, won’t it be more prudent to play him in the VFL before rushing him against Brisbane next week?

Riccardi has played his last game for us, Cadman brought a ridiculous amount more and both Hogan and HH looked better without him clogging spaces

I thought Kingsley's interview pre game was telling. Described Cadman's debut as deserved because you get effort every time.

Not great to having to go down to the wire with Hawthorn but 4 points still keeps us around the mark but if we keep playing like that we're not going to be making much noise this year.
  • Cadman looked really good for someone on debut, it's not going to look like that every week and he's going to have some bad ones but if that's what he can offer this year then I think there's something to work with. Contested marking was good and that turn and kick he had to Hogan was nice.
  • Probably deserved to win that one by a few more, had plenty of shots near the end that just didn't go our way
  • Taylor is a freak
  • Cogs, Kelly and Green all brought plenty of pressure which was good to see
  • Idun looks so rough with the ball in hand really doesn't offer anything at all on the rebound and I'm not sure his defensive work is a worthy enough trade-off. He's been involved in build-up play a lot more this year I feel like it and looks rough whenever he's asked to do anything but switching kicks in D50.
  • Really liked Whitfield's game as well today, feel like thats the best game he's played in a bit
  • Good performance from Callaghan, he's building nicely
  • Ash looked good today, being aggressive as a runner is important for him. He has serious speed just needs to be willing to use it all the time

Bedford probably has a week in the 2s to get him back into things but would expect Daniels straight back in. Brisbane will be a big challenge next week probably one we're just trying to keep it close.

Considering the offers he's going to get towards the end of the year, I hope the club is working hard on retaining Himmelberg right now.

Might be priced beyond the Giants' finances, if he isn't already.

Pretty damning to see Whitfield was responsible for 9 turnovers this game.

XO for 6.

XO I expected, but for Whitfield, this is way way way too high.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Considering the offers he's going to get towards the end of the year, I hope the club is working hard on retaining Himmelberg right now.

Might be priced beyond the Giants' finances, if he isn't already.
Nah c'mon, no negative scenarios tonight. As Cadman gets better, and Jesse flips the yips and kicks straight, HH will be our 3rd tall.
It's the smalls that are an issue.
Peatling and Lloyd have been OKish role players, but the modern small is fast, hard and skilful. Bedord, Daniels and Jones hopefully.
Ward still hanging in there, not so sure about Adso Kennedy.
The upward surge of Adelaide must serve as a blueprint for how we will get better, given time.

Sam Taylor was unbelieveable. Best player on the ground by a large margin.
HH just did his next contract a huge favour. We prob won’t be able to afford him.
We won’t get close to Brisbane next week.

Anyone who thinks Thor is a liability should be taken out and shot.
What about the rest of the season though? He played really well today but that's his first consistently involved performance for the season, we need him to be this involved every game. He has too many games where you don't notice him, he played great today and really came through for us especially late but consistency has always been his issue throughout games and the season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone who thinks Thor is a liability should be taken out and shot.
Hmmm depends.

Is he a number 1 tall fwd? No.

Is he a number 2 or 3 yes.

Everyone has our hopes set in Cadman being that number 1.

Would love HH to re-sign but not if it breaks banks or have to pay overs. He is a local surely he stays for less than what’s on offer. Would be nice for go home to help us out for onceS

I really loved the fact that Kingsley didn’t look satisfied even though we won. And neither should he

He was not happy at all. Sign of a good coach. Playing the long game

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
The guy has his head on straight.
Will vocally defend the club and boys but won’t accept falling over a win.

Very happy with him.

Another good outcome is that there was no injuries. But it states that
Tom Green's slinging, spinning tackle on Josh Ward late in the second quarter may be looked at by the MRO”. Hopefully, sanity and fairness will prevail, but this is the AFL we are talking about

The upward surge of Adelaide must serve as a blueprint for how we will get better, given time.
I like your optimism, but I don't want the club to wait until the end of the year.

We improve, our players are picked off by other clubs flashing the big $$$.

Just want them to get in early because I think Himmelberg is a keeper.

Just watched the end of the game. Gee Frost throwing someone to the ground after a Giants mark looks awfully like what we got 50m paid against us for earlier. Really ******* lucky it didn't matter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back