• Top 8

Votes: 23 23.7%
  • 9th - 14th

Votes: 4 4.1%
  • Bottom 4

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

If any combination of Sheldrick, Roberts and Corey Warner come on this year, I expect we will lose at least one of Rowbottom, Florent or Hayward.

I think Hayward will be subject to a good offer or two from the SA clubs. And, without any inside knowledge, I reckon when push comes to shove Hayward will be allowed to leave if he gets a big offer. Rowbottom and Florent I doubt will be going anywhere.

I wouldn't even worry about Florent & Hayward until Gulden & McDonald are taken care of.
I foresee a scenario where Errol is signed in the near future, but Logan keeps us waiting as Freo throw the kitchen sink at him.

In which case, it becomes awkward as Florent and Hayward won’t wait forever.

Personally, I think Florent is underrated around these parts.

I foresee a scenario where Errol is signed in the near future, but Logan keeps us waiting as Freo throw the kitchen sink at him.

In which case, it becomes awkward as Florent and Hayward won’t wait forever.

Personally, I think Florent is underrated around these parts.
I am a big fan of Florent. Has class. Weaves through traffic with ease and delivers good ball.

If any combination of Sheldrick, Roberts and Corey Warner come on this year, I expect we will lose at least one of Rowbottom, Florent or Hayward.
I don't agree. We'll keep all of those.
I think the players we are most likely to lose come FROM Reid, Melican, Arnold, Edwards, Magor, Mitchell and Vickery. Plus possibly Fox. I reckon we will have only one trade target and the minimum number of draft positions to fill.

I don't agree. We'll keep all of those.
I think the players we are most likely to lose come FROM Reid, Melican, Arnold, Edwards, Magor, Mitchell and Vickery. Plus possibly Fox. I reckon we will have only one trade target and the minimum number of draft positions to fill.
It's not that I don't rate Florent, Hayward or Rowbottom. I have backed these guys in the past in the face of criticism by others. But looking at our cap and the potential offers our out of contract players will receive, I can't see how we manage to re-sign emerging talent along with keeping all our established stars. Offloading guys like Magor, Vickery, Arnold etc are not going to help us re-sign McDonald or Gulden, nor will they allow us to keep Sheldrick et al if they become best 22. If our list managers somehow can do it, I'll be the first to congratulate them.

It's not that I don't rate Florent, Hayward or Rowbottom. I have backed these guys in the past in the face of criticism by others. But looking at our cap and the potential offers our out of contract players will receive, I can't see how we manage to re-sign emerging talent along with keeping all our established stars. Offloading guys like Magor, Vickery, Arnold etc are not going to help us re-sign McDonald or Gulden, nor will they allow us to keep Sheldrick et al if they become best 22. If our list managers somehow can do it, I'll be the first to congratulate them.
If we had enough to make an offer to McKay and brought in Hamling instead the account isn't empty. I'm sure we would have factored in the cost of keeping all those guys before making that offer. That's Kinnear's job. Offloading those guys isn't about the money so much as about creating the space and balancing the list. Their money pays for the draftees plus a bit. We will definitely get to the stage of having to let one or more good players go for cap reasons but I don't believe we're there yet.
Unless someone wants to leave.

If we had enough to make an offer to McKay and brought in Hamling instead the account isn't empty. I'm sure we would have factored in the cost of keeping all those guys before making that offer. That's Kinnear's job. Offloading those guys isn't about the money so much as about creating the space and balancing the list. Their money pays for the draftees plus a bit. We will definitely get to the stage of having to let one or more good players go for cap reasons but I don't believe we're there yet.
It's all a bit of a juggling act - glad I'm not in charge as I never want to let any of our guys go.

Re McKay cash, I doubt we would've banked it given not only did we recruit Hamling, but we also added Grundy, Adams and Jordan.

Re list balance, it's as much about playing opportunities as it is the cash. Players progressing well in their development is a double edged sword. It's obviously great for our list, but also means their asking price goes up. Sometimes there are guys who all of a sudden become bona fide stars (Chad 2022, Gulden 2023). Who's to say that won't be Sheldrick or Roberts this year? What if Logan kicks 50+ goals this year? Or everyone clicks and we win a flag? Plenty of water to flow under the bridge but I think if we have a good year this year, we won't be able to keep everyone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's all a bit of a juggling act - glad I'm not in charge as I never want to let any of our guys go.

Re McKay cash, I doubt we would've banked it given not only did we recruit Hamling, but we also added Grundy, Adams and Jordan.

Re list balance, it's as much about playing opportunities as it is the cash. Players progressing well in their development is a double edged sword. It's obviously great for our list, but also means their asking price goes up. Sometimes there are guys who all of a sudden become bona fide stars (Chad 2022, Gulden 2023). Who's to say that won't be Sheldrick or Roberts this year? What if Logan kicks 50+ goals this year? Or everyone clicks and we win a flag? Plenty of water to flow under the bridge but I think if we have a good year this year, we won't be able to keep everyone.
And that is a good thing. It means we are there. In that space where we are contending and attracting and expelling players. As a team you don't get there very often. We attracted the best ruck, a very good experienced inside mid, an experienced grand final experienced mid and a very experienced KPD. We will probably lose players this year. You cannot fit everyone in. So be it.
Looking forward to a breakout from Sheldrick, Roberts and Corey Warner. Hopeful with Mitchell.

We got real lucky with Grundy and that whole situation

Papered over our disastrous search for talls to trade in over the last 24 months
I agree. It is unreal. And for a second rounder.. Future one at that too. Unreal.
And we are in the premiership window and he is 29+ years old. We have arguably the second best ruck for two packets of samboys.
It does not get much better than that. And add to that we picked up Green who by the time Grundy fades into the sunset we will hopefully have another gun ruck. Just a great trade/draft haul this year.

Last edited:
We got real lucky with Grundy and that whole situation

Papered over our disastrous search for talls to trade in over the last 24 months
I'm glad we got him, but also glad we went after a highly rated ruck in the draft. Ditto getting in Snell (while also bringing in Hamling).

We differ, that's life. Time will tell.

Just ring Geelong and find out how you keep everyone yet still bring new players in as well.

We also made a huge multi-year offer to Astro so I think we definitely have a bit of a war chest. Feels like we can retain all and land Jamarra as well. Hayward, Florent and Rowy wouldn’t be getting massive upgrades I’d reckon, not like Errol and Logan. Feel good about where we’re at.

I've seen a lot of people on here and social media and the like on board with letting Rowbottom go if need be. I can't believe it. Didn't see this shift coming.
Need to show them the 2022 clip of him literally ripping the ball out from Oliver at a stoppage and then the clip of him benching 40 dumbbells in each hand

Back