2024 Aussie Summer of Cycling

Remove this Banner Ad

Promises to be an exciting one this year, Julian Alaphillipe riding the TDU for the first time in a decade as well (for more than a modest appearance fee, yes) as well as guys like Yates, Ewan, Welsford and Ganna also featuring.

Starts with the Nats in Buningyong where Plapp is favourite to become the first person since John Trevorrow to win 3 consecutive road races from 78-80, and the third person to do both Road Race and ITT in the one year, with Durbridge doing it 2013 and Jonathan Hall doing it in 1997.

TDU riders starting to filter through, very excited to have Ala here and I think with no Vine it opens the race up for UAE, maybe Alessandro Covi gets leadership? I'm hoping we can get the TDU to an 8 stage race at some point soon, I feel like adding an ITT and probably another mountains stage could make it an even better race.

Finally the Cadel list won't start really coming through for a while but I hope Ala rides that as well, he'd go in as the hot favourite to take it out.

I am interested to see how Alaphalippe performs as he's been off the pace in the last two years - In saying that I'm not sure he's suited by the parcours - I have Plapp as the red hot favorite for the TDU as he flies up Willunga Hill. Welsford has his sprint train in Mullen and Van Poppel, so it should be a good battle with Ewan - In the women's race have Gigante as the favorite, and she could also beat Brown in the national ITT - Plapp should win the mens ITT, however if Hepburn rides he can perform well - Jayco will have multiple options for the men's RR and should win.

Startlist is out for the men and women's elite ITT - Plapp is the favorite, although Hepburn can do a good ride if he prepared for this event - Reckon Gigante can knock off Brown in the ITT with Howe an improver - Men's under 23 will be between Mckenzie, Rogers and Chamberlain - Think McKenzie may edge it as he will be using the Jayco set up.

Rohan Dennis charged with his wife's death by dangerous driving.

Without knowing the full details it sounds like a tragic accident than a deliberate act. Terrible all round.

Rohan Dennis charged with his wife's death by dangerous driving.

Without knowing the full details it sounds like a tragic accident than a deliberate act. Terrible all round.
Yeah, but it seems he was driving recklessly. Feel for him and his family still.

Very sad news. Adelaide being a small place the reason why it happened, will get out soon. The bold bit doesn't happen unless something seriously went wrong - usually speed or alcohol and sometimes both.

“The driver is known to the woman. Following an investigation, a 33-year-old Medindie man has been arrested and charged with causing death by dangerous driving, driving without due care and endangering life.”

The missing charges of drunk/drug driving makes me think it's pretty bad. The suggestions/rumours are that she was on a bike hanging onto the side of the car with him driving and went under the vehicle. I don't buy this at all, it seems impossible, and we probably would have seen it in a race if it could actually occur.

What is known is there is history of domestic issues between them. He has a history of mental breakdowns/blow ups. Every team he has raced with found him near impossible to work with and riders not wanting to be around him for 3 week races.

Startlist is out for the men and women's elite ITT - Plapp is the favorite, although Hepburn can do a good ride if he prepared for this event - Reckon Gigante can knock off Brown in the ITT with Howe an improver - Men's under 23 will be between Mckenzie, Rogers and Chamberlain - Think McKenzie may edge it as he will be using the Jayco set up.

Don't know what bike Sarah will be on, hopefully the new team have got her one, she did Tour of Bright TT on her road bike. I'm interested to see how close Wilson-Haffenden can get to those two and Katelyn Nicholson best of the locals.

Fergus Browning is my smokie for u/23's.

Plapp unbeatable.

The missing charges of drunk/drug driving makes me think it's pretty bad. The suggestions/rumours are that she was on a bike hanging onto the side of the car with him driving and went under the vehicle. I don't buy this at all, it seems impossible, and we probably would have seen it in a race if it could actually occur.

What is known is there is history of domestic issues between them. He has a history of mental breakdowns/blow ups. Every team he has raced with found him near impossible to work with and riders not wanting to be around him for 3 week races.

According to the ABC the question was asked if Melissa was on a bike & the answer was "Not that I'm aware of."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Intersting there is no Durbridge at the national's or the TDU - He was doing the fastest coffee ride in Perth on Boxing Day.
Heard a possible injury keeping him out.

Wil Holmes and Lauren Bates win the two junior ITT's respectively. Both were riding last and won easily (33 and 40 seconds respectively) so look like they were heavy favourites?

They obviously had an argument. He stormed off. She didn't want him to leave and tried to stop him by jumping on the car. He persisted to go whilst she was on the car. She fell. She kept holding on whilst he thought she was off. She was dragged. She died.

Her actions is what will make him avoid jail. Yes he should have stopped - anyone should have - there is no denying that.

His lawyer will argue he was trying to get away from a bad situation and it was an accident and he thought she wasn't on the car etc.

Now onto the road race. Harper will win. Plapp smokes the time trial and Gigante does the double

They obviously had an argument. He stormed off. She didn't want him to leave and tried to stop him by jumping on the car. He persisted to go whilst she was on the car. She fell. She kept holding on whilst he thought she was off. She was dragged. She died.

Her actions is what will make him avoid jail. Yes he should have stopped - anyone should have - there is no denying that.

His lawyer will argue he was trying to get away from a bad situation and it was an accident and he thought she wasn't on the car etc.

Now onto the road race. Harper will win. Plapp smokes the time trial and Gigante does the double

Will add that Dennis will be shunned by the cycling community and that Hosking's parents will try to keep the children - It will be a messy trial and I can see Dennis leaving Australia to reside elsewhere.

Will add that Dennis will be shunned by the cycling community and that Hosking's parents will try to keep the children - It will be a messy trial and I can see Dennis leaving Australia to reside elsewhere.

It's too early to say re: custody but what the Hoskins are like, I am not sure they will pry their grandchildren away from Rohan on a permanent basis. His parents also have a say. It will be messy but I think everyone will agree what is best for the kids and that is Rohan having them. Unless of course there is actually more behind the scenes such as DV.

Re that last suggestion, stay off X. A lot of people using this to push their DV agenda when there is no evidence of that yet. Not denying its in play but until more is released, you can't jump to that conclusion.

Interesting that in the Mens ITT they've broken the Jayco riders up with guys from minor clubs. Maybe providing a target for the Jayco Riders? Found it very interesting that they put Storer between Hepburn and Plapp in particular. Storer isn't known for his ITT, is he?

Wil Holmes and Lauren Bates win the two junior ITT's respectively. Both were riding last and won easily (33 and 40 seconds respectively) so look like they were heavy favourites?

Will Holmes has dominated junior races here for the last few years. I feel like the u/19 road race will be the race of the weekend, there is some talented boys in that group.

We never have time trial coverage.

Disappointed with Gigante's result. Though she prpbably doesn't have her bike yet or if she does she isn't used to it yet. Mechanical? I think she was allowed to restart with the bike failing down the ramp. So it was probably bike related. Not form.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back